Tyrone V Monaghan AIQF 2015

Started by never kickt a ball, August 01, 2015, 08:20:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Soup an Samajiz

Absolute trial by media bullshit. GAA shown itself to be a weak organisation pondering to the whims of the feckin Sunday Game pundits of all people. GAA definitely living up to its name as an amateur sport, absolute amateur-hour indeed. Pitiful
Think like a wise person but communicate in the language of the people

lickthem

Never mind an 8 week suspension, he should embarrassed to come out of the house for 8 weeks.

JoG2

Like it or not, this is a real watershed moment for the betterment of football

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: lenny on August 12, 2015, 08:27:31 AM
Quote from: screenexile on August 11, 2015, 11:11:37 PM
http://teamtalkmag.com/2015/08/county-mccann-handed-8-week-suspension/

Tyrone should accept this punishment for the future of the game. If all players know a big suspension will be coming up then they are very unlikely to be up to the sort of antics mccann tried to get away with. St Micky comes out of it very badly also since he tries to justify it by saying all players do it. That is patently untrue, there have been a few isolated instances and those players have also been rightly condemned by the media and general public. McAliskey and Beggan probably should also be given the same suspension but theirs aren't just as clear cut or obvious.
Do you actually think that the next person to take a dive will also get an 8 week suspension?

Trial by media if every I seen it.

I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

imtommygunn

I don't think this can be held up.

If you do it for this you need to be consistent.

Yes you need to set a precedent and there is no precedent but why punish him and not for example Shields?

They tried this in soccer years ago with Edu from Arsenal and it couldn't be held up. I don't think, if there is any legal intervention, this can hold up at all.

(I don't condone what he did but you can't just pick one person)

Put Up That Flag

Brilliant news, at last the cheaters and divers are getting dealt with,  now hopefully they will continue with analysing Tyrones cynical tactics and all the dark arts they take part in and as a result they will disappear from the GAA landscape because they have no place in the organisation,  only way they can win a game at any level is to cheat, hopefully the media keep going on their crusade against them.

Bensars

@JoeBrolly1993: @PhilipJordan7 the decision is therefore unlawful. It is a manipulation of the law to punish Tiernan more severely than the law allows 6/6

laceer

Why start setting a precedent towards the end of the season - just before the semi-final? Either do it from the start of the year - and apply it to every instance no matter the team, or don't do it at all. McCann was completely in the wrong but there is no way this ban will stick.

illdecide

The lad is embarrassed enough over this and that alone is punishment, he will get off on appeal to play against Kerry (I think every one agrees on that). Them Muppets on TSG are a joke and more and more people are turning to Sky Sports for proper analysis and little to no shite talk. It's nearly impossible to police this behaviour, if you use TV later in the week who determines what a dive is and how much contact merits a dive...its nutts.
A TV judge like rugby have and deal with the incident there and then and that's the end of it, McCann would have got a yellow card and the result of the game just the same.
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

GJL

Won't be held up but it will mean that a new rule with regards to diving will be installed for next season which is a good thing. RTE really are desperate that Tyrone don't make it to the AI final and God forbid win it. Would be hilarious to see them standing cap in hand outside a shut door at the City West. Fcuk them.

orangeman

It's entertainment value now. Something to fill the papers with for a fortnight before the semi final.

Tyronies will be out in force. £.

Fair play to the GPA for coming out so forcefully to defend the player.

Club Rossa

I don't see how you can ban a man for 8 weeks for something that is a yellow card offence.I was very disappointed with McCann on Saturday and would in no way condone his actions but the ccc must be consistent in handing out these punishments.McAliskey and Beggan both let themselves down on Saturday,Shields v Kerry being another case.
People will say that's a case of 'whataboutery' looking at players from other counties doing it but the rules must be applied to every player who does it and not just Tyrone.

laceer

Even Brolly is on twitter saying that the ban is completely wrong

Bensars

Quote from: laceer on August 12, 2015, 09:15:13 AM
Even Brolly is on twitter saying that the ban is completely wrong

Brolly reckons it's illegal

@JoeBrolly1993: @PhilipJordan7 my view is the use of the specific provision is illegal. The law of statutory interpretation applies to any rule 1/4

@JoeBrolly1993: @PhilipJordan7 the lawmaker ( Congress) has created a specific offence of simulation with a specific penalty ( yellow card). 2/4

@JoeBrolly1993: @PhilipJordan7 Tiernan's only offence, as a matter of law, is simulation, since the lawmaker is presumed to mean what he says 3/4

@JoeBrolly1993: @PhilipJordan7 if this were not so, then the disrepute provision could be used to override any offence, perverse though that would be 4/4

@JoeBrolly1993: @PhilipJordan7 so for example, a striking offence could be charged as disrepute 5/6

@JoeBrolly1993: @PhilipJordan7 the decision is therefore unlawful. It is a manipulation of the law to punish Tiernan more severely than the law allows 6/6

AZOffaly

Quote from: heffo on August 12, 2015, 08:32:25 AM
Quote from: hardstation on August 12, 2015, 08:31:06 AM
Quote from: heffo on August 12, 2015, 08:25:51 AM
Quote from: hardstation on August 12, 2015, 08:16:18 AM
Quote from: imtommygunn on August 12, 2015, 08:11:04 AM
I would say Fergal Logan will be on the case....
Not sure he'll be needed. The rule book states that it's a yellow card but CCCCCCCCC give him an 8 week suspension. How daft is that?

The charge will clearly be 'Bringing the association into disrepute' - defined as what behaving in a way the ordinary person would deem as wrong.

The charge should be defended fully by CHC as far as needed and anyone engaging in diving or acting the bollox in general should be charged the same.
He feigned injury to gain an advantage. There is a clearly defined rule in the rule book. Anything else is trumped up bullshit.

There is a clear rule which is unlikely to be overturned and they're fully correct in charging him with it.

Hopefully this is the beginning of the end for this kind of behaviour.

I agree with a lot of that. I hate diving, and I have oft yearned for it to be added to the list of black card offences. However I can't agree that this was the right thing to do in these circumstances heffo. How on earth can you single him out for a disrepute charge when lads dive or feign injury almost every game we play?  The disrepute charge has to be along the lines of 'feigning injury in order to get an opponent sent off'. And I agree, it was a pathetic act, and an act of a cheater. But how is it much different from any of the following?

http://www.balls.ie/gaa/gifs-following-michael-shields-fall-recalling-3-other-notorious-dives-in-the-gaa/302098

Some of these are quite recent, and all of them involve a man feigning injury in order to get a man in trouble. Aidan O'Mahony might say he was at least clipped by Shields, but the thought process, such as it is, has to be the same. 'Chance here to get a lad in trouble, down I go, face grasp, roll in agony'.

Each of those incidents are in the same vein in my view, so why is McCann charged? I can only think it's because of the media spotlight, and that is very very wrong and very very dangerous as a precedent. The NFL is going down that road in America, and they are f**king themselves because of it.

I like to think I'm fair about these things, and I know in the past the Tyrone lads think I've been hard on them, but in this case I'm 100% behind them. They have a problem with mouthing and acting the maggot, and I think this may be the chickens coming home to roost, but it's completely unfair and has the feel of being made up.

By all means bring in a rule that says diving or feigning injury are going to be dealt with retrospectively and involve suspensions, or are black card offences on the day if spotted by the ref. By all means drive this shite out of our games. But don't do it as a knee jerk reaction to a tirade on the Sunday Game, which is motivated partly by the fact that the guilty party is from Tyrone.

It's unfair, it's draconian and most of all, it proves our association can be led around by the nose by bolloxes in the media.

Rant over :)