Tyrone V Monaghan AIQF 2015

Started by never kickt a ball, August 01, 2015, 08:20:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

omaghjoe

Quote from: INDIANA on August 10, 2015, 10:03:48 PM
Quote from: Whishtup on August 10, 2015, 09:28:45 PM
Will never get used to the self-elevating use of the word 'kn**ker' down here. Do ye always have some group of people to morally distance yourselves from?

Dublin and Tyrone we're all united in being knackers in the quest for Sam.

Viva la Revolution

Has someone hacked your account Indie?

outside-the-wire

Quote from: naka on August 10, 2015, 09:39:13 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on August 10, 2015, 06:25:32 PM
Harte has been interviewed now and said that mccann regrets his actions.
laughing today in irish news
philip Jordan commenting on it
now he would know about playacting in croke park ::)

I'm sure he regrets diving and feigning injury. It has followed him around ever since. Could have been a legend number 7 in my eyes only for that. He may have 3 medals but I'm sure he still regrets getting a fellow player sent off.

WT4E

Quote from: outside-the-wire on August 11, 2015, 09:09:31 AM

I'm sure he regrets diving and feigning injury. It has followed him around ever since. Could have been a legend number 7 in my eyes only for that. He may have 3 medals but I'm sure he still regrets getting a fellow player sent off.

I'd say it hasn't followed him around as much as it's followed Marsden around - costing your county a second all ireland for raising your fists in an all ireland final!

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: yellowcard on August 10, 2015, 09:57:33 PM

Just read his column and no mention whatsoever of the Marsden incident. Huge levels of hypocrisy from Jordan.
Im not sure you can compare the McCann & Jordan incidents at all
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

JoG2

Quote from: blewuporstuffed on August 11, 2015, 09:49:47 AM

Just read his column and no mention whatsoever of the Marsden incident. Huge levels of hypocrisy from Jordan.

Err...Diving / feigning injury / simulation / trying to get a player sent off / unsporting / both from Tyrone....not comparable?

naka

Yes you can
Both  feigned injury and ensured a player was sent off
on my book they are similiar

shezam

Quote from: naka on August 11, 2015, 09:59:38 AM

Yes you can

Are you sure of that? I'd be fairy certain the reason Darren Hughes was lined was for the rugby tackle on Colm Cavanagh that preceded.

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: shezam on August 11, 2015, 10:42:45 AM
Quote from: naka on August 11, 2015, 09:59:38 AM

Yes you can

Are you sure of that? I'd be fairy certain the reason Darren Hughes was lined was for the rugby tackle on Colm Cavanagh that preceded.

The tackle on Colm Cavanagh was crude and late but hardly a red.

Hughie

I've been on this board a very long time but I've never felt the need to post before. Before saying anything though, I will admit to being a Tyrone man and a Tyrone supporter. I'm as prone to a rant as the next man, but I'm a firm believer in if you're going to rant, at least be aware of the facts and attempt to be objective in your analysis.

Some of the vitriol directed here at Tyrone is beyond the pale. It has gotten under my skin. Don't get me wrong, as a Tyrone man I am ashamed of some of the playacting that went on, but don't call me or anyone else from Tyrone "scum" because of what happened on a football pitch.  Growing up playing football, if a man hit you and you felt it you never let on, for fear that he would know he had hurt you –  the opposite now seems to be true.  There seems to be a dilution of the pride in oneself that was instilled in me as youngster to be hard and strong but also fair and sportsmanlike in all dealings, both on and off the pitch. However I think that in the last number of years the benefits of forgetting this facet of the games we all love has been lost in the win at all costs mentality that has filtered down through our games.

Yes Tyrone do seem to be the common denominator in these unsavoury incidents and I'm not denying that but to suggest that this is coached in to players is laughable. Do people actually think that Tyrone teams sit in the conference room in Garvaghey and watch a Powerpoint on what to say or do to opposition players to get a result? I'll allow people to come to their own conclusions on that. However, I do feel that the constant discussion about Tyrone's "dirty tricks" has helped perpetuate this notion and I fear that it may be too late to try and salvage the reputation of this Tyrone team as the Anti-Tyrone juggernaut has gathered pace.

Anyway, back to Saturday's game. Tyrone were the better team and on the balance of the game as a whole deserved to win. I don't think anyone will deny that.  Tyrone have surpassed all outsiders expectations this year and they must be congratulated for that, I think everyone, including myself had written them off for the season.

As for the media reporting of the match – I'd like to think that I've watched enough football and have a good understanding of the rules  to draw my own conclusions as to what happened in the match and don't need to rely on others to forge my opinions. That's all I'll say on that.

The issues arise when Tyrone have been subjected to a trial by media, social media and armchair fans.  I'm just going to state what happened in the game and what I feel should I have happened/did happen. Everyone has the right to disagree but please add more to retort  to my analysis than "sure you would say that, you're from Tyrone". As I said at the start – I will try to be objective.

1.   Darren Hughes connected with McAliskey (or maybe McCurry's) head with a knee. I think this was accidental though he may have been booked for this (not sure as I haven't watched the game again)

2.   Conor Meyler checked his run to run in to Kieran Hughes. Kieran Hughes also stepped out of his line to run in to Conor Meyler. By my reading of the incident, both parties were as guilty as one another. Meyler looked a little more clumsy by wrapping his arms around Hughes, whereas Hughes' experience told by keeping his arms out. I believe that this swayed the referee in to not giving a black card to Hughes. I feel his black card for Meyler was the correct call, although Hughes should also have received one.

3.   Paul Finlay tackled Sean Cavanagh with a closed fist shortly after coming on, connecting with his head in the process  – in my book that is a sending off. I think that Finlay was booked for the same incident.

4.   Paul Finlay later attempted to tackle Peter Harte, again with a closed fist. This time he caught Harte high. He was booked for the second time and sent off. It could easily have been a straight red but the same result applied. Correct Call.

5.   Ronan McNamee was spotted by the Umpire punching a Monaghan player – this was seen when Duffy was speaking to the umpire who showed a punching action. McNamee received a second yellow – this should have been red.

6.   The Tiernan McCann incident – now this is my opinion on it and again I will be as objective as possible. My honest opinion is that Hughes was going to receive a black card for the pull down on Colm Cavanagh as he was coming out of defence. Marty Duffy has clearly pulled his book out of his pocket as he walks over to Hughes and before Hughes touched McCann.  Hughes had already received a yellow card so Yellow + Black = Red. He was already going to be sent off before he touched Tiernan McCann. Until the referee's report comes out we won't know what he was sent off for.  What happened afterwards has been debated to the high heavens here. I don't believe that Tiernan McCann is proud of his actions, in fact I suspect he will be embarrassed by them and it is something that will probably follow him around until he either does something spectacular or has a long and distinguished career with Tyrone (although seeing how the Philip Jordan/Marsden incident has had an effect of Jordan's legacy, I can't see this incident being forgotten about, and rightly so). It was a poor reflection on our games, not just in Tyrone, but all over Ireland and the world. Tiernan McCann will learn. However, and I am in no way justifying his actions or giving any standing to them, the unfortunate thing is, he was not the first and he most certainly won't be the last to feign injury in the attempt to get an opposition player reprimanded – this is where the real problem lies.

There were other things that happened in the match, from both sides that frustrated me – players lying down, slowing down the clock (both teams), Kieran Hughes attempting to kick the ball out of a Tyrone player's hands (think it was Petey Harte) as he was about to take a free,  the constant flapping of arms at the referee (Cavanagh). The list goes on but I'm not going to pick apart the game any more. You all seen it for yourselves. Looking back through the different incidents in the match, there was always a constant niggle and everyone knew before the match that it was going to be a dogfight. Familiarity breeds contempt.

However, when all is said and done, we the supporters, must remember one thing. We are all one and the same. These are our games and we are rightly proud of them. Yes, things get heated in the course of a match and the fall out from it, but we should take our lead from the players. I have no doubt that come October/November Darren Hughes  and Tiernan McCann will share a drink and a laugh about the incident at the Allstars or some other event and let bygones be bygones and forget about the incident with the moniker that "that's football". It's important yes, but it's not life and death and some people need to remember that. You cannot tar an entire county and its people as "scum", "knackers" or whatever other derogatory term because of 70minutes of football. We're all better than that.

AZOffaly

Good first post Hughie. Welcome. As I've said on other threads, the trial by media and the subsequent outrage is unfair. As I said, I think Tyrone have gone over the edge, in trying to get an edge, and the verbals and such have contributed to the bad rap. They could really help themselves by reining that back in. I don't actually believe that Tyrone indulge in cynical fouling or diving much more than many other counties. Every game I watch sees a lad diving. Granted McCann let himself down with his dive to get Hughes sent off, but Aidan O'Mahoney did something very similar v Cork a while ago. That was seen for what it was. An embarrassing incident for O'Mahoney, and something that shouldn't happen. It wasn't seen as some sort of stick to beat Kerry with. McCanns should be the same. A silly, stupid act which brings no credit to himself or Tyrone, but that's it.

Main Street

Quote from: phpearse on August 09, 2015, 11:47:59 PM
Some of the Tyrone lads could take a leaf out of Michael Murphy's book. Took a box to the mouth and stood his ground. There's a lot to be said about manning up in these situations and quit the messing. McCann should be seriously embarrassed with what happened yesterday. Why would a player do that? How would you even think of diving when someone touches your hair. You first reaction would be to push them away not falling to the ground. That was ridiculous and it will likely reck his head now and he won't be the same player in the next game (if he plays, I see Colm O'Rourke has asked for him to be banned, which will likely happen now). Would you not think that Sean Cavanagh would be embarrassed at this stage as well? FFS man stand up and stop acting the maggot. Sublime at times and ridiculous at other times.

I don't care how the Monaghan players behaved themselves in the last 1/4 of that game. The joy of winning at match is Croke Park soon looses it's shine when you see shite like that on TV afterwards. It doesn't have to happen, what it shows is a lack of self belief that the football ability isn't there to kill a game off that they were leading comfortably. They thought they needed to mess and feck about in the last 15 to see out the game when they could have held their head and finished the game strongly. Young team but sometimes the tone is set but the elders on the team and Cavanagh can set a bad example at times.
Strange the way people see things differently ,  I thought Murphy was have a 'Tyrone moment' and his actions were anything but manning up. He had a lengthy involved altercation where it clearly  looked like he was the aggressor,  finally the Mayo lad gave him a slap and Murphy went pleading to the umpire as if to say 'did you see that'  'tell the ref about it'. And didn't all that happen in added time?

There's no way that McCann should be singled out and scapegoated,  McCann's just a foot soldier, there's way too much focus on the individual, whereas the pertinent issue has more to do with the type of structured, methodical cynicism that Tyrone have as an integral part of their game and it clearly comes from the top down. Other teams do not come close to this. And the glaringly obvious bit, is that Tyrone don't need it  they have a very skillful bunch of players who can play an exciting brand of fast paced football.

Before the black card, given a set of circumstances, teams/players would do anything (including decapitation) in the last 5 minutes to save a game. The black card has clearly effected that and also effected the fouling to slow down the counterattack. Now the goalposts have shifted.

Fr. Cyril McDuff

Quote from: Hughie on August 11, 2015, 12:09:06 PM

6.   The Tiernan McCann incident – now this is my opinion on it and again I will be as objective as possible. My honest opinion is that Hughes was going to receive a black card for the pull down on Colm Cavanagh as he was coming out of defence. Marty Duffy has clearly pulled his book out of his pocket as he walks over to Hughes and before Hughes touched McCann.  Hughes had already received a yellow card so Yellow + Black = Red. He was already going to be sent off before he touched Tiernan McCann. Until the referee's report comes out we won't know what he was sent off for.  What happened afterwards has been debated to the high heavens here. I don't believe that Tiernan McCann is proud of his actions, in fact I suspect he will be embarrassed by them and it is something that will probably follow him around until he either does something spectacular or has a long and distinguished career with Tyrone (although seeing how the Philip Jordan/Marsden incident has had an effect of Jordan's legacy, I can't see this incident being forgotten about, and rightly so). It was a poor reflection on our games, not just in Tyrone, but all over Ireland and the world. Tiernan McCann will learn. However, and I am in no way justifying his actions or giving any standing to them, the unfortunate thing is, he was not the first and he most certainly won't be the last to feign injury in the attempt to get an opposition player reprimanded – this is where the real problem lies.

Sorry, but that's not being objective that's imagining something that didn't happen. Duffy showed a Hughes a straight red card because of McCann's dive. Simple, nothing else to it. He did not produce a black or yellow. He may have been going to as the tackle on Cavanagh certainly warranted a yellow and Duffy might well put something else in his report but it was obvious on the television coverage that he couldn't wait to get the red card out when he saw McCann fall. An awful referee who should never get another match. Duffy has just as much reason to be embarrassed by the incident as Tiarnan McCann.

Hughie

Quote from: Fr. Cyril McDuff on August 11, 2015, 12:55:09 PM
Quote from: Hughie on August 11, 2015, 12:09:06 PM

6.   The Tiernan McCann incident – now this is my opinion on it and again I will be as objective as possible. My honest opinion is that Hughes was going to receive a black card for the pull down on Colm Cavanagh as he was coming out of defence. Marty Duffy has clearly pulled his book out of his pocket as he walks over to Hughes and before Hughes touched McCann.  Hughes had already received a yellow card so Yellow + Black = Red. He was already going to be sent off before he touched Tiernan McCann. Until the referee’s report comes out we won’t know what he was sent off for.  What happened afterwards has been debated to the high heavens here. I don’t believe that Tiernan McCann is proud of his actions, in fact I suspect he will be embarrassed by them and it is something that will probably follow him around until he either does something spectacular or has a long and distinguished career with Tyrone (although seeing how the Philip Jordan/Marsden incident has had an effect of Jordan’s legacy, I can’t see this incident being forgotten about, and rightly so). It was a poor reflection on our games, not just in Tyrone, but all over Ireland and the world. Tiernan McCann will learn. However, and I am in no way justifying his actions or giving any standing to them, the unfortunate thing is, he was not the first and he most certainly won’t be the last to feign injury in the attempt to get an opposition player reprimanded – this is where the real problem lies.

Sorry, but that's not being objective that's imagining something that didn't happen. Duffy showed a Hughes a straight red card because of McCann's dive. Simple, nothing else to it. He did not produce a black or yellow. He may have been going to as the tackle on Cavanagh certainly warranted a yellow and Duffy might well put something else in his report but it was obvious on the television coverage that he couldn't wait to get the red card out when he saw McCann fall. An awful referee who should never get another match. Duffy has just as much reason to be embarrassed by the incident as Tiarnan McCann.

If it does come out that that is why Duffy sent him off you're right, Duffy should be embarrassed and if Hughes did get a straight red for striking McCann it will undoubtedly be rescinded.  I didn't see the colour of the card(s) that were shown and my immediate take on it was that it was a second yellow/black. I'll hold my hands up if that wasn't the case. I think we can agree though that Darren Hughes was going to be/should have been sent off whether he had touched McCann or not for his tackle on Colm Cavanagh (a second yellow/black).

Main Street

Quote from: Schkite on August 10, 2015, 12:52:08 PM
That was some let down on Saturday. When alls said and done, Tyrone were the better team and deserved the win. We just didn't perform on the day, truth be told we haven't played well all championship. Even in the Ulster final we only really played well for a 10 minute spell either side of half time and were hanging on at the end. Part of me thought we'd improve for this one, but I suppose you can't just turn it on if you haven't been playing well for a while. Tyrone on the other hand built momentum steadily through the qualifiers and were primed for this. I underestimated the benefit of their run due to the teams they were playing, but really it was ideal for a young team like them looking to find their groove.

Some of the carry on near the end was embarrassing , I haven't read through the thread but I assume it's been discussed plenty so I won't dwell on it. On a positive note, some of Tyrone's players were fantastic, Peter Harte and Mattie Donnelly particularly. Two talented lads who will run all day and don't seem to get involved in much of the off the ball shite. Both will be in the conversation for all-stars I'd say.

Quote from: Bingo on August 10, 2015, 11:49:41 AM
Moving on......

Big crossroads for Monaghan. Two big achievements for Monaghan this year, remaining and been competitive in the League and winning Ulster  - these have been too rare round Monaghan not to be savoured and celebrated. An All-Ireland semi-final would have been the icing on a cake.

Losing in the manner on Saturday was not the way you wanted to end it. The headlines will read that they are a one man team, lack discipline and rely on the Ulster template to win matches. The Croke Park factor and championship football will also hang over their heads.

Goes without saying they will need a freshness. Will be some retirements - Dick, Lennon, Finlay and possibly Gollogy. None of them certain and will not know until the championship draw is made which influenced a few decisions last year.

Thankfully they seemed to prepare for that this year and Monaghan played a lot of football without these players but they will still be missed and few obvious replacements in the squad. They will likely have to adapt their play somewhat to lessen the influence of a big midfield that they will have and big midfields that they will face.

I struggle to see too many obvious candidates in club football that will fill this void. Club championship will be interesting this year. One or two from U21's would be the height of it.

Hopefully O'Rourke will stay on, think he has committed to it. But you could see why he'd head off if the right challenge came up!

Agree with alot of that. It's been a great year but this does take a bit of gloss off it a wee bit. At the end of the day though we won Ulster and that will always be a reason to celebrate. It did look like a year where we could push on, but we just didn't grab that opportunity.

I think we'll see a couple of retirements alright, but not half the squad as the likes of Colm O'Rourke would have you believe. It's a young enough team on the whole, but the area we'll undoubtedly suffer most is midfield. Lennon and Dick are the obvious candidates you would think. If they stay then great, but they owe the county nothing. Also think Jap could go even though he's a bit younger, but he has a lot of miles on the clock and his influence has been lessening over the last few years. Then you've Dessie and Vinny of a similar age profile to Jap but they're good for a few years yet as long as they want it. Jinxy maybe not as much but I still think he'll be there next year.

While there is some good young players coming through in defence and attack, we seem to have absolutely nothing in midfield. Is there anyone that stands out in club football? I certainly don't see anyone in the Lennon mould i.e big strong fellas who are good for winning clean kickouts, we're looking at having a very small midfield going forward.

While we're obviously never going to go man to man and abandon the defensive tactics that have brought us success, I would like to see a bit more positivity next year, and to give McManus more help with scoring. Owen Duffy for example scored a couple of lovely points when he came on and made me wonder while he didn't start as he was named to do. I can understand wanting to finish with a strong team too but still would have liked to see Duffy start. Also thought McGuinness could have come on earlier seeing as we needed scores and likely a goal, and he's probably our best goal scorer. It's a pity Jack McCarron's injury meant he didn't get a full season and hampered his chances this year, hopefully he comes back strong next year. Also I wonder would Conor McCarthy be ready to play, I'd like to see him given a chance in the league like the likes of McAnespie this year, as I've been impressed whenever I seen him for the county or Scotstown. Been a while since I watched him mind you but he looks promising. The forward line was the most impressive part of the 2013 minor team so hopefully the likes of McCarthy are ready for the step up from that.
McManus had a similar game against Tyrone as he had against Donegal, the tired cliche that we are a one man team is patent nonsense. Against Tyrone it was the rest of the team and tactics that fell behind  as well as facing a better standard of opposition.
As regards the future, it's not just about players but also tactical flexibility.
Kickouts especially, how come we have such difficulty in that department?  We methodically repeated our kick out strategy, both with our own kick outs  and how we defended  the kick outs,  from the donegal game and Tyrone had copped that perfectly in both areas.
Then we were far too ponderous on the counterattack, what worked against Donegal did not work here. Donegal were too one dimensional/ inflexible to react to how we were set up and did too little too late. But Tyrone had our number. It reminded me of the Kurosawa film the Seven Samurai,  when the robbers attacked the village, the peasants would isolate one through a few deftly laid diversions and savage him.
We were found wanting tactically and mentally reacted badly  with poor discipline to their game plan.
It would appear there are plenty of players ready to come in but no personality midfield leaders like Lennon and Clerkin. We would be hit hard for a year or so  if Mone, Clekin, Lennon, Finlay and Gollogly all quit.

reddgnhand

Quote from: Main Street on August 11, 2015, 01:17:26 PM
Quote from: Schkite on August 10, 2015, 12:52:08 PM
That was some let down on Saturday. When alls said and done, Tyrone were the better team and deserved the win. We just didn't perform on the day, truth be told we haven't played well all championship. Even in the Ulster final we only really played well for a 10 minute spell either side of half time and were hanging on at the end. Part of me thought we'd improve for this one, but I suppose you can't just turn it on if you haven't been playing well for a while. Tyrone on the other hand built momentum steadily through the qualifiers and were primed for this. I underestimated the benefit of their run due to the teams they were playing, but really it was ideal for a young team like them looking to find their groove.

Some of the carry on near the end was embarrassing , I haven't read through the thread but I assume it's been discussed plenty so I won't dwell on it. On a positive note, some of Tyrone's players were fantastic, Peter Harte and Mattie Donnelly particularly. Two talented lads who will run all day and don't seem to get involved in much of the off the ball shite. Both will be in the conversation for all-stars I'd say.

Quote from: Bingo on August 10, 2015, 11:49:41 AM
Moving on......

Big crossroads for Monaghan. Two big achievements for Monaghan this year, remaining and been competitive in the League and winning Ulster  - these have been too rare round Monaghan not to be savoured and celebrated. An All-Ireland semi-final would have been the icing on a cake.

Losing in the manner on Saturday was not the way you wanted to end it. The headlines will read that they are a one man team, lack discipline and rely on the Ulster template to win matches. The Croke Park factor and championship football will also hang over their heads.

Goes without saying they will need a freshness. Will be some retirements - Dick, Lennon, Finlay and possibly Gollogy. None of them certain and will not know until the championship draw is made which influenced a few decisions last year.

Thankfully they seemed to prepare for that this year and Monaghan played a lot of football without these players but they will still be missed and few obvious replacements in the squad. They will likely have to adapt their play somewhat to lessen the influence of a big midfield that they will have and big midfields that they will face.

I struggle to see too many obvious candidates in club football that will fill this void. Club championship will be interesting this year. One or two from U21's would be the height of it.

Hopefully O'Rourke will stay on, think he has committed to it. But you could see why he'd head off if the right challenge came up!

Agree with alot of that. It's been a great year but this does take a bit of gloss off it a wee bit. At the end of the day though we won Ulster and that will always be a reason to celebrate. It did look like a year where we could push on, but we just didn't grab that opportunity.

I think we'll see a couple of retirements alright, but not half the squad as the likes of Colm O'Rourke would have you believe. It's a young enough team on the whole, but the area we'll undoubtedly suffer most is midfield. Lennon and Dick are the obvious candidates you would think. If they stay then great, but they owe the county nothing. Also think Jap could go even though he's a bit younger, but he has a lot of miles on the clock and his influence has been lessening over the last few years. Then you've Dessie and Vinny of a similar age profile to Jap but they're good for a few years yet as long as they want it. Jinxy maybe not as much but I still think he'll be there next year.

While there is some good young players coming through in defence and attack, we seem to have absolutely nothing in midfield. Is there anyone that stands out in club football? I certainly don't see anyone in the Lennon mould i.e big strong fellas who are good for winning clean kickouts, we're looking at having a very small midfield going forward.

While we're obviously never going to go man to man and abandon the defensive tactics that have brought us success, I would like to see a bit more positivity next year, and to give McManus more help with scoring. Owen Duffy for example scored a couple of lovely points when he came on and made me wonder while he didn't start as he was named to do. I can understand wanting to finish with a strong team too but still would have liked to see Duffy start. Also thought McGuinness could have come on earlier seeing as we needed scores and likely a goal, and he's probably our best goal scorer. It's a pity Jack McCarron's injury meant he didn't get a full season and hampered his chances this year, hopefully he comes back strong next year. Also I wonder would Conor McCarthy be ready to play, I'd like to see him given a chance in the league like the likes of McAnespie this year, as I've been impressed whenever I seen him for the county or Scotstown. Been a while since I watched him mind you but he looks promising. The forward line was the most impressive part of the 2013 minor team so hopefully the likes of McCarthy are ready for the step up from that.
McManus had a similar game against Tyrone as he had against Donegal, the tired cliche that we are a one man team is patent nonsense. Against Tyrone it was the rest of the team and tactics that fell behind  as well as facing a better standard of opposition.
As regards the future, it's not just about players but also tactical flexibility.
Kickouts especially, how come we have such difficulty in that department?  We methodically repeated our kick out strategy, both with our own kick outs  and how we defended  the kick outs,  from the donegal game and Tyrone had copped that perfectly in both areas.
Then we were far too ponderous on the counterattack, what worked against Donegal did not work here. Donegal were too one dimensional/ inflexible to react to how we were set up and did too little too late. But Tyrone had our number. It reminded me of the Kurosawa film the Seven Samurai,  when the robbers attacked the village, the peasants would isolate one through a few deftly laid diversions and savage him.
We were found wanting tactically and mentally reacted badly  with poor discipline to their game plan.
It would appear there are plenty of players ready to come in but no personality midfield leaders like Lennon and Clerkin. We would be hit hard for a year or so  if Mone, Clekin, Lennon, Finlay and Gollogly all quit.

Will MOR stay on do you think?