Started by From the Bunker, July 31, 2015, 02:37:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

twohands!!!

Quote from: westbound on August 05, 2015, 09:06:26 AM
Quote from: From the Bunker on August 05, 2015, 08:46:23 AM
Quote from: Mayo4Sam14 on August 05, 2015, 02:46:11 AM
They released the team on a Tuesday?

Get the confusion in early!

Isn't today (wednesday) the deadline for naming the 26 for a saturday game anyway? - So they are only a few hours early really.

Nope still Thursday at 9am for a Saturday game and it's not for a team to be named, it's for a team to be provided to Croke Park.

If fact if some county wanted to be a bit sneaky they could provide a true/accurate list to Croke Park by Thursday 9am and then name an incorrect one to the media knowing that it wasn't to be the actual game day 26 at all, as there is no punishment in the rules for this.

mayoman dan

Quote from: Farrandeelin on August 05, 2015, 02:38:49 PM
Quote from: highorlow on August 05, 2015, 12:41:05 PM
QuoteIf the backs line out as they did against Sligo, Donegal will get goals. I can't see that full back lining out as it did v Sligo however.

Well where ever Murphy goes I would like to see Vaughan stuck to him.

Even if that means Vaughan has to curtail his running up the pitch? I think Murphy will be left inside for a long spell of the match to be honest. IF our midfield get on top and he goes outfield, then Vaughan will thrive, but not if he's left at fullback in my opinion.

I dont think that will be the team.I think Kevin Keane will start and he will be asked to pick up Murphy.I think Andy might be kept in reserve for the last few minutes

Syferus

IolarCoisCuain

Quote from: onlooker11 on August 05, 2015, 06:08:59 PM
Conor Mortimer on the current GAA issues and Mayo's chances this weekend

https://beanbagsports.com/blog/2015/08/05/conor-mortimer-there-is-a-big-issue-in-the-gaa/

Pretty good analysis from The Mort, in fairness to him.

Better than his bloody book, I can tell you that much.

giveballaghback

That was a very general bland piece from Mortimor that any ten year old could have written, I think Donegal will win on Saturday, aos wont make an impact at full forward or anywhere else for that matter, the only difference in Mayo this year and the last couple of years is that they are older and have more mileage on the clock, its the last hurragh of a very good Mayo team, time has caught up with them and no new blood to freshen up the team.

The Hill is Blue

Quote from: giveballaghback on August 05, 2015, 08:42:19 PM
That was a very general bland piece from Mortimor that any ten year old could have written, I think Donegal will win on Saturday, aos wont make an impact at full forward or anywhere else for that matter, the only difference in Mayo this year and the last couple of years is that they are older and have more mileage on the clock, its the last hurragh of a very good Mayo team, time has caught up with them and no new blood to freshen up the team.

I can't go along with that. I think this Mayo team still have an All Ireland in them. This is probably their last year but I believe they still have time. One way or the other, I expect them to beat Donegal.
I remember Dublin City in the Rare Old Times http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T7OaDDR7i8

Syferus

Only team bar Kerry that can beat Dublin imho. Donegal just don't look like they have that in them this year. That would mean that Mayo are the best placed team to stop the mutual wankfest that would be a Dublin-Kerry AI final.

So, no pressure or anything..

Captain Obvious

I would give Mayo the edge on Sunday a fitter,fresher squad. Donegal were impressive in how they closed out the Galway game however they went scoreless in that game for twenty eight minutes and they weren't convincing against Monaghan,Derry which would suggest they peaked out for the Tyrone,Armagh games.

Mayo 1-14 Donegal 2-10

Ivan Itch

It was this game two years ago that we made the switch with Higgins going to 12. He came back in that pocket of space between Murphy & McFadden. It stopped Donegal putting in ball in front or even high as Higgins mopped up everything. What's to say we don't try something similar on Saturday.

Also Aidan O'Shea may not start at 14. He could go to midfield and they could give Keegan/Boyle/Vaughan freedom to go forward all day with the the 3 big men spread across the middle.
Jason Doherty has to nail Ryan McHugh from the start and DO'C has to stick with McGlynn - stop these two from starting attacks and you will go a long way towards beating Donegal.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Chris Barrett come in for Andy Moran.

The Hill is Blue

Quote from: Syferus on August 05, 2015, 09:02:48 PM

Only team bar Kerry that can beat Dublin imho. Donegal just don't look like they have that in them this year. That would mean that Mayo are the best placed team to stop the mutual wankfest that would be a Dublin-Kerry AI final.

So, no pressure or anything..

From a Dublin perspective I'd fear Mayo in the semi final but would be quite confident that we would beat Donegal.
I remember Dublin City in the Rare Old Times http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T7OaDDR7i8

Jinxy

If you were any use you'd be playing.

imtommygunn

There were gaps in donegal's defense the last day very similar to dublin's against them last year.

They really need to shore up the half back line. Neilmcgee was always good but had cover. If he gets the same cover as he did against galway or monaghan o'shea will go to town. I imagine they will have learnt though.

Farrandeelin

I agree with giveballaghback on this one. It isn't anything to do with the lack of new faces replacing these bucks, but by God it'll be lean times when this team goes. I just think Donegal will have enough tactical nous to strangle Mayo to be honest. This is the first time Mayo will have played a Division 1 team since the last time they played Donegal. I am worried because Mayo generally stuttered this league campaign, especially the last few games. I can see Donegal getting two goals at least. I hope I'm wrong but Donegal, since they beat Galway (who I did think had a good chance of turning them over the last day) will have enough confidence in that win especially with the way they lost narrowly to Monaghan.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Clinker

Let's be realistic here.
Last time out at this level only two years ago.

Mayo 4-17 Donegal 1-10

Colm McFadden got a consolation goal near the end when Mayo were distracted doing interviews with the press.

Stop crying your luck Mayo ones.