Fermanagh v Dublin AIQ/Final

Started by SamFever, July 26, 2015, 11:28:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LCohen

Quote from: T Fearon on July 29, 2015, 11:01:05 PM
What earthly benefit/pleasure will the Fermanagh team and its supporters derive from a crushing defeat on Sunday?
A cracking day out. Something better that mass. The atmosphere. Their team being there. Maybe giving it a lash. Life

Beating a disillusioned Antrim team twice and Roscommon (humbled by Sligo) and Westmeath (humiliated by Dublin) doesn't make Pete Mc Grath a great manager just as defeat to Longford when he was with Down didn't make him a bad manager.
Quite correct. But live a little.
Why are two excellent Fermanagh natives managing Donegal and Monaghan?
Modern GAA. Mercenary roles filled ny mercenary candidates. Fools standing up and saying its a an amateur organisation with a words and then sh1tting all over this with their actions.
Are Fermanagh really any closer to winning an elusive first Ulster title?
No. And? My best friend won a McKenna Cup with Fermangh. He is a legend. Their population places a natural cap on their ambition. 25% of the population lives in County Dublin. They should win every year. They don't. Fermanagh got withinin a kick of the '04 final. Real heros.
Is getting to the AI Qtr Final and getting slaughtered there really the benchmark of sustainable progress?
No, But having a go is a reason for celebration. I. like you am an Armagh man. There is no pride, credit or cause for celebration in our championship achievements this year. Nor is there in our lamentable approach.   

INDIANA

Yes but a few points.

What earthly benefit/pleasure will the Fermanagh team and its supporters derive from a crushing defeat on Sunday?

Beating a disillusioned Antrim team twice and Roscommon (humbled by Sligo) and Westmeath (humiliated by Dublin) doesn't make Pete Mc Grath a great manager just as defeat to Longford when he was with Down didn't make him a bad manager.

Why are two excellent Fermanagh natives managing Donegal and Monaghan?

Are Fermanagh really any closer to winning an elusive first Ulster title?

Is getting to the AI Qtr Final and getting slaughtered there really the benchmark of sustainable progress?

I bet they lose by less then kildare did. When you compare the relative populations that's a victory in itself.

Pete Mc Grath has a good record versus Dublin.

I just can't see them putting up a winning score

T Fearon

Pete Mc Grath's record against Dublin played one and won one,21 years ago is irrelevant.

Population size is irrelevant,out with Dublin's Northside Gaelic Sports are treated with contempt in the metropolis.

The current managers of Monaghan and Donegal rightly perceive they have more chance of success in their current positions than managing their native counties, as their ambition extends beyond a hiding in the quarter finals.

How on earth can any fan enjoy a day at Croke Park watching his or her county get a hammering?

It is patronising in the extreme to congratulate "little" Fermanagh in reaching the quarter finals,almost like saying you're shit and no one expected you to be here,but sure just enjoy the experience.

Captain Obvious

Quote from: ck on July 29, 2015, 10:18:20 AM
Quote from: T Fearon on July 29, 2015, 06:41:20 AM
I don't begrudge Fermanagh their place in the AI quarter final and would like nothing better than to see them beat Dublin,but like Armagh last year,they are there due to the luck of the draw.Cavan were quarter finalists two years ago,Armagh were there last year,what has either done since?

Totally agree. The draw couldn't have been kinder to Fermanagh.. 3 home games against below average teams. Someone mentioned that they "nearly" beat Monaghan.. were they not beaten by 10 points?
Tony is just adding reality here. Like him I would be delighted if they do well against Dublin and will be cheering them on, but as to how they got here? Good management, good support, average players all pushing in same direction and VERY LUCKY DRAW!
T Fearon is a WUM and you are the poster that totally wrote off Fermanagh before their game against Roscommon. Cop on lads and start giving Fermanagh some credit for reaching the quarter final against the odds.

Syferus

Quote from: Captain Obvious on July 30, 2015, 12:25:02 AM
I don't begrudge Fermanagh their place in the AI quarter final and would like nothing better than to see them beat Dublin,but like Armagh last year,they are there due to the luck of the draw.Cavan were quarter finalists two years ago,Armagh were there last year,what has either done since?

Totally agree. The draw couldn't have been kinder to Fermanagh.. 3 home games against below average teams. Someone mentioned that they "nearly" beat Monaghan.. were they not beaten by 10 points?
Tony is just adding reality here. Like him I would be delighted if they do well against Dublin and will be cheering them on, but as to how they got here? Good management, good support, average players all pushing in same direction and VERY LUCKY DRAW!
T Fearon is a WUM and you are the poster that totally wrote off Fermanagh before their game against Roscommon. Cop on lads and start giving Fermanagh some credit for reaching the quarter final against the odds.

+1

Fear ón Srath Bán

Fear Manach Abú (and fcuk the begrudgers of whichever hue!).
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Emmett

Yes but a few points.

It's clear you are a WUM and to your credit you've given me a few laughs with your ramblings but this had to be commented on.

With comments like that you are obviously not the most loyal Armagh supporter around and would not even consider going to support your county in a match they are expected to lose badly.

Like it or loathe it but Fermanagh and Armagh are on a very level playing field at the moment. On current form we are probably the slightly better side but we'll not go there. With this in mind, if the roles were reversed and Armagh were due to face Dublin this weekend would you not be prepared to go support them when they most need it? (In spite of the lack of an "earthly benefit/reward")

Our young squad of players will benefit from the experience of playing at Croke Park in front of a full house against an excellent team. After all, they may never have another opportunity to have the pleasure of sharing a football pitch with the likes of Dublin should this proposed 2nd tier competition come to fruition.

T Fearon

Of course I would be there. But let's face it,if Armagh,Tyrone or any other Ulster county apart from Antrim,were being patronised for beating Antrim twice,Roscommon and Westmesth,I'd be embarrassed.

Being on a par with Armagh currently is not boast worthy.

A hiding in Croke Park in a high profile game,is not what young players need neither will they need the inevitable "sure weren't they great to get as far as the quarter finals anyhow (the subtext of which is "when they are normally shite"), patronisation that will follow the equally inevitable hiding.

haranguerer

The more I read your posts Tony, the sweeter '04 gets ;)

Goin Down

Quote from: T Fearon on July 30, 2015, 05:28:05 AM
Of course I would be there. But let's face it,if Armagh,Tyrone or any other Ulster county apart from Antrim,were being patronised for beating Antrim twice,Roscommon and Westmesth,I'd be embarrassed.

Being on a par with Armagh currently is not boast worthy.

A hiding in Croke Park in a high profile game,is not what young players need neither will they need the inevitable "sure weren't they great to get as far as the quarter finals anyhow (the subtext of which is "when they are normally shite"), patronisation that will follow the equally inevitable hiding.

Roscommon are in division 1 and were touted as all Ireland Contenders sure  ;)
Remember This.

jb81

As much as i would like to see Fermanagh win, i fear for them being on the wrong side of an almighty hammering!

ck

Quote from: Emmett on July 29, 2015, 11:02:57 AM

Quote from: ck on July 12, 2015, 10:20:19 AM
Rossies by 5 or 6. Can't believe the hype around Fermanagh. People saying they're "going well" and they're "on a good run". They've beaten Antrim twice. That's it! id say they'll get a rude awakening today

Oh he's back with more disparaging remarks about this Fermanagh side. I don't believe CK has commented on a Fermanagh match thread since he predicted a "rude awakening" against Roscommon who he now dismisses as "below average".

Maybe it would be better to focus on your own county team's shortcomings which were more than evident in the Connacht Final than to run down a team who have done nothing except beat what has been put in front of them, bar Monaghan.
There are a lot of begrudgers out there with an apparent element of the green eyed monster when it comes to brave, little Fermanagh reaching an AI quarter final.

Anyway, on Sunday we are rightly huge underdogs and in all probability will lose the match. This will not stop me travelling to Croke Park on Sunday with optimism to support the team which has given us a great summer so far and has created a real buzz and positivity around the county - something that a second tier competition will simply not do, no chance!

We have a sprinkling of very good players in key areas plus a handful of extremely underrated players (such as James McMahon, Niall Cassidy and Damian Kelly) and one thing is for sure we have a panel full of extremely dedicated and disciplined players who will be proud to represent their county in Croke Park on Sunday and will not give up no matter how things are going.

This young group of players will have learned a lot this year and will learn a lot more this Sunday and in our division 2 campaign this week. Hopefully the squad will stick together and can deliver our long awaited first Ulster title. We can only hope!

Lads, ye'r far too sensitive. Chill out will ye.
I believe that Fermanagh are a very average group of players who are playing way above themselves due to good management and are succeeding with more than a little help from the luck of the draw. Now who would argue with that??
There are a lot of parallels with my own county in many ways and I will certainly be supporting ye this weekend. To say Fermanagh are there on merit is arguable but to suggest that they are a top 8 team in the country is utter madness. They are just about top 8 in Ulster being ahead of Antrim.

imtommygunn

Lol. You're either a wind up merchant or have had a bad experience with a fermanagh person at some point.

TomFun

Keyser soze

Fearon wouldnt go to watch Armagh playing if he had to pay in.

But if Armagh were playing on Sunday he'd be on here spouting nonsense about what a great chance they had, regardless of who they'd beaten to get there. A fool hoor who just likes to listen to himself.