Fermanagh v Dublin AIQ/Final

Started by SamFever, July 26, 2015, 11:28:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

T Fearon

The question is do the last eight reflect the 8 best teams in the Country? Are Fermanagh better than Cork? Last year,due to losing by a single point to Donegal in the qtr finals,it was announced that Armagh were back,and serious contenders for Ulster etc.A bit wide off the mark.

imtommygunn

Armagh were considerably better last year though.

No doubt with any knockout competition the last 8 may not be the best 8 but not sure Cork is a good example as on their day they are as poor as anyone.

Before last week you'd have asked are Kildare better than Cork too.

Esmarelda

Quote from: T Fearon on July 29, 2015, 12:22:10 PM
The question is do the last eight reflect the 8 best teams in the Country? Are Fermanagh better than Cork? Last year,due to losing by a single point to Donegal in the qtr finals,it was announced that Armagh were back,and serious contenders for Ulster etc.A bit wide off the mark.
Why is that the question?

In all tournaments that have a knockout section there's every chance that two big guns will meet early and one will be out.

Sure Dublin were the best team last year and they didn't reach the final ;)

thebuzz

Quote from: Emmett on July 29, 2015, 11:16:22 AM
Quote from: Gold on July 29, 2015, 10:54:41 AM
Don't get me wrong I'm delighted for Fermanagh and I hope they put it up to Dublin and win.

I just know that we (Antrim) currently have better players than they do yet we cannot get them on the field--that's what is frustrating.

Fermanagh are united whereas we are not, hence we are nowhere and they are in Croker on Sunday.

Fear manach Abu!

This always seems to have been the problem with Antrim, whether it is solely the County Board's fault or if it comes down to attitude problems is open to interpretation.

Every county will have players who will not commit for one reason or another, a County of Antrim's size (in comparison to Fermanagh for instance) should be able to cope with this. When players are missing they automatically become better players than what they actually are in the mind of supporters. There is nothing to suggest Antrim have any better players than Fermanagh. Last years Ulster Championship defeat was as much down to Fermanagh not coming out of the stalls until the damage was done and tactical naivety (surprisingly) from Pete as it was down to Antrim's good play.

We have at least another 5 players not on the panel who would challenge for starting spots but for one reason or another they are not there - Seamus and Conor Quigley are prime examples but for completely different reasons. It is up to the management and squad to pull together and become stronger as a whole.

I know it's come up before but I never saw an answer.
Is there any possibility that Seamus Quigley could be pulled in again or have all bridges been burnt?
If he was in any sort of form he would be some addition to the forwards.

general_lee

Quote from: imtommygunn on July 29, 2015, 08:41:55 AM
Both have barely changed their tactics since which has been a large factor in why they haven't done anything more.

Whether Fermanagh do or don't we'll see in the next few years but for now they're in last 8 on merit.
Armagh completely changed their tactics!

Agree though Fermanagh deserve their place in the QF. A lot of time for Pete McGrath, he has got this team playing to their potential and I know they won't lack in motivation. Probably a bridge too far for them though.

ardchieftain

There are some moaners about. Fermanagh are in the quarter finals on merit, fair play to them, and  i hope they give the Dubs a test. From a punting perspective, i am tempted by Fermanagh +14.

comeysfield

Best of Luck Fermanagh, Go and beat them

Emmett

Quote from: thebuzz on July 29, 2015, 12:51:30 PM
Don't get me wrong I'm delighted for Fermanagh and I hope they put it up to Dublin and win.

I just know that we (Antrim) currently have better players than they do yet we cannot get them on the field--that's what is frustrating.

Fermanagh are united whereas we are not, hence we are nowhere and they are in Croker on Sunday.

Fear manach Abu!

This always seems to have been the problem with Antrim, whether it is solely the County Board's fault or if it comes down to attitude problems is open to interpretation.

Every county will have players who will not commit for one reason or another, a County of Antrim's size (in comparison to Fermanagh for instance) should be able to cope with this. When players are missing they automatically become better players than what they actually are in the mind of supporters. There is nothing to suggest Antrim have any better players than Fermanagh. Last years Ulster Championship defeat was as much down to Fermanagh not coming out of the stalls until the damage was done and tactical naivety (surprisingly) from Pete as it was down to Antrim's good play.

We have at least another 5 players not on the panel who would challenge for starting spots but for one reason or another they are not there - Seamus and Conor Quigley are prime examples but for completely different reasons. It is up to the management and squad to pull together and become stronger as a whole.

Is there any possibility that Seamus Quigley could be pulled in again or have all bridges been burnt?

I think the ball is in Seamie's court. If he sorts himself out, displays the attitude required and is prepared to put in the same level of effort the rest of the boys do then he would be welcomed back I am sure.

general_lee

Quote from: Emmett on July 29, 2015, 02:37:53 PM

Fear manach Abu!

I think the ball is in Seamie's court. If he sorts himself out, displays the attitude required and is prepared to put in the same level of effort the rest of the boys do then he would be welcomed back I am sure.
I'm a big fan of Seamy Quigleys and I even asked the Same question but I think it would be a disservice to the men that have ploughed away since last October or whenever to get themselves here to parachute him in at this stage.

Syferus

Quote from: general_lee on July 29, 2015, 03:07:08 PM
Quote from: Emmett on July 29, 2015, 02:37:53 PM

Fear manach Abu!

I'm a big fan of Seamy Quigleys and I even asked the Same question but I think it would be a disservice to the men that have ploughed away since last October or whenever to get themselves here to parachute him in at this stage.

I don't anyone is suggesting he be added for this weekend. It's pretty safe to assume they mean next year at this stage.

general_lee

True. Even earlier in the season though, had the opportunity arisen.

skeog

the fermanagh team deserve to be in the last 8  and all 31 other counties will be cheering them on come sunday hope they have a huge support to cheer them on

T Fearon

Yes but a few points.

What earthly benefit/pleasure will the Fermanagh team and its supporters derive from a crushing defeat on Sunday?

Beating a disillusioned Antrim team twice and Roscommon (humbled by Sligo) and Westmeath (humiliated by Dublin) doesn't make Pete Mc Grath a great manager just as defeat to Longford when he was with Down didn't make him a bad manager.

Why are two excellent Fermanagh natives managing Donegal and Monaghan?

Are Fermanagh really any closer to winning an elusive first Ulster title?

Is getting to the AI Qtr Final and getting slaughtered there really the benchmark of sustainable progress?

Farrandeelin

It won't do them much good, but I'm sure their supporters won't stay away all the same!
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Aaron Boone

I forgot Fermanagh have never won Ulster. Nor have the Dubs for that matter.