Gender inequality... is there?

Started by longballin, July 22, 2015, 04:36:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deiseach

I'll let it slide. In the national interest.

longballin

Winding you up lad... would love to see youse win it!

deiseach

I'd love to see us win it too. We have so much in common! ;)

ck

Gender inequality my arse. She wants a holiday and is causing a row to get it.
Equality is great but when the Sunday game says "..and now for Camogie" I can't get the remote quick enough to turn it over!

general_lee

Quote from: ck on July 23, 2015, 11:22:29 AM
Equality is great but when the Sunday game says "..and now for Camogie" I can't get the remote quick enough to turn it over!
Camogie is an affront to hurling, just like ladies football is an affront to the men's game.

Having said that in this particular instance both winners deserve the same prize.

longballin

general_lee

Quote from: longballin on July 23, 2015, 11:46:09 AM
football is an affront to hurling
Hurling outside of the big counties is an affront to hurling.

longballin

outside of Kilkenny and Tipperary you mean?

johnneycool

Quote from: ck on July 23, 2015, 11:22:29 AM

In fairness to Catherine it wasn't her who complained, it was Fionnula Carr, who was also competing and via her column in the Gaelic Life had a go at the organisers. Poor Jimmy Darragh can't do right for wrong.

At the same time, it was a bit stupid to offer one competitor a holiday and not the other at the very same event, left them very open to this stuff even if in theory the GAA and the Camogie board are still separate organisations still.

A wee girl from our club won the U16 event, think she should get a Ski holiday as well   ;D

ck

Quote from: hardstation on July 23, 2015, 12:58:32 PM
Men and women should play in the one competition, not separate ones. That's equality.

yeah I agree. This McGourty girl should compete against the men and see how many holidays she wins

sligoman2

Very sad to read the chauvinist pig attitude on this thread.  Some of ye are still in the dark ages in my opinion.  I am a big fan of ladies football, my two daughters and my son all play it and enjoy it.  I have watched some great ladies games and feel the men's game could learn a few things from it like

A) time clock
B) sin bin
C)no blankets (generally)
D) No sledging
E) No racism

Reading this thread has really ticked me off to be honest.  Go back to your caves boys and stay there.
I used to be indecisive but now I'm not too sure.

Syferus

Quote from: sligoman2 on July 23, 2015, 01:55:47 PM
Very sad to read the chauvinist pig attitude on this thread.  Some of ye are still in the dark ages in my opinion.  I am a big fan of ladies football, my two daughters and my son all play it and enjoy it.  I have watched some great ladies games and feel the men's game could learn a few things from it like

A) time clock
B) sin bin
C)no blankets (generally)
D) No sledging
E) No racism

Reading this thread has really ticked me off to be honest.  Go back to your caves boys and stay there.

+1. Thread is totally cringy with few if anyone taking what was quite an eloquent article even seriously enough to discuss it. Base sexism is alive and well on GAABoard.

Soup an Samajiz

Absolute load of bollocks.

There is more money prizes exposure and everything else for men's football/hurling because there is more interest. The standard is better. There's 80,000 people goin to Croker for the Men's All Ireland Final and there wouldn't be a tenth of that for women's.... yes I know Im stating the obvious. But why then do they feel they should be on equal level to share in the spoils? The sponsers were drawn in because of the interest generated - largely due to hurling - and so they sponsored the hurling poc fada... Hard truth is, women are not treated equally in terms of prizes because they simply are not equal in creating exposure

as they say - standing on the shoulders of better *men and calling yourself tall....

Same happens in every sport, take golf this week just for example, am sure the women's winner at the Open didn't get half of the men's...

simply put... nobody cares daughter
Think like a wise person but communicate in the language of the people

Syferus

Quote from: Soup an Samajiz on July 23, 2015, 02:07:39 PM

There is more money prizes exposure and everything else for men's football/hurling because there is more interest. The standard is better. There's 80,000 people goin to Croker for the Men's All Ireland Final and there wouldn't be a tenth of that for women's.... yes I know Im stating the obvious. But why then do they feel they should be on equal level to share in the spoils? The sponsers were drawn in because of the interest generated - largely due to hurling - and so they sponsored the hurling poc fada... Hard truth is, women are not treated equally in terms of prizes because they simply are not equal in creating exposure

as they say - standing on the shoulders of better *men and calling yourself tall....

Same happens in every sport, take golf this week just for example, am sure the women's winner at the Open didn't get half of the men's...

You seem to care plenty.

Soup an Samajiz

Quote from: Syferus on July 23, 2015, 02:10:13 PM
Quote from: Soup an Samajiz on July 23, 2015, 02:07:39 PM

You seem to care plenty.

Yes the crying about it really does anoy me, reading comments about "the men kickin the girls off the big field" and the likes has long worn thin
Think like a wise person but communicate in the language of the people