Previous topic - Next topic

United Ireland?

Yes
60 (75%)
No
20 (25%)

Total Members Voted: 80

Rossfan

The Good Friday Agreement sets out the template.
Queens,Presidents etc have no say.
When I saw Tiocfaidh ár lá at the end of  it I smelled SF.
Trying to deflect attention from the inevitable cuts coming in Stormont??
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

ck

Serious question: Are there those in the south who would be dead against a United Ireland?

Mayo4Sam14

Quote from: ck on July 22, 2015, 02:02:00 PM
Serious question: Are there those in the south who would be dead against a United Ireland?

Not that I know of
You can forget about Sean Cavanagh as far as he's a man!

Hound

A referendum would pass very comfortably in the south.

The difficulty would be assuming you only need a 51% Catholic majority in the north, as there'd be more of those voting No than there would be Protestants voting Yes for a United Ireland.

From the Bunker

No. In fairness most of rural Ireland (rural Ireland is mainly outside Dublin) are caught up in just trying to make a living/surviving to even think about the question. I'd say Catholics in the North would not be to keen to get lumped in with our mess and rightly so.

Syferus

Quote from: From the Bunker on July 22, 2015, 02:26:54 PM

No. In fairness most of rural Ireland (rural Ireland is mainly outside Dublin) are caught up in just trying to make a living/surviving to even think about the question. I'd say Catholics in the North would not be to keen to get lumped in with our mess and rightly so.

In fairness our mess seems a damn sight better than their mess..

screenexile

Quote from: Syferus on July 22, 2015, 02:28:37 PM

Are you sure about that?!!

Tubberman

Quote from: screenexile on July 22, 2015, 02:30:12 PM
Quote from: Syferus on July 22, 2015, 02:28:37 PM

Are you sure about that?!!

Well the population isn't split tribally down the middle at least.
After that, I'd imagine anyone would prefer bits of what the other has and bits of what they have already.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

twohands!!!

I'd imagine that there would be a serious amount in the Republic opposed to the idea of the United Ireland, if it ever became a serious possibility any time soon.

Once the populace in the South became aware of what the burden of taking on the North's economy would do to to the Republic's economy I'd imagine a lot of folk would become a lot less keen very quickly.

Also I'd imagine that a fair chunk of people would be a lot less keener when they realise that the unionists would be coming soon.

I'd imagine that a lot of anti-Sinn Fein folk would vote against it in a referendum just on basis of not wanting to give Sinn Fein a win.

Canalman

Referendum for a UI would pass very easily down south. Don't ever confuse the opinions of contrarian newspaper journos and opinion piece writers as being the common view.

65% to 35% I would say, with the 35% descendants of those by and large disgusted with the creation of the Free State all those years ago.

There would be serious scaremongering before such a referendum .

A long long way away in any event.

giveballaghback

New flag, new anthem, new rules, new society, put the package down on paper and see how many would vote for it, most older people would,  younger people would not, get rid of flags and religion and its sorted, wont happen in this century, a united Europe will diminish most  borders, remember the words of Kris Kristofisen "freedoms just another word for nothing left to lose"  people protect their pockets at all costs, people only ask how will this effect me now, never think of the next generation, two totally different society's with very little tolerance of one another, just look at some of the posts on this forum. Now close this thread and lets get back to fantasy land where we can talk about sport insult our neighbours, have a laugh at each other and forget about the real world troubles for a little while at least.

Mayo4Sam14

Ah but for now United Ireland is a fantasy land

giveballaghback

Lets reunite Roscommon first, give ballagh back ;D

Mayo4Sam14

Quote from: giveballaghback on July 22, 2015, 09:46:07 PM
Lets reunite Roscommon first, give ballagh back ;D

We're keeping Andy! 😂