Where,What,How for the GAA in Armagh?

Started by LCohen, July 16, 2015, 03:27:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Throw ball

Quote from: Beffs on July 17, 2015, 12:07:39 AM
Quote from: Estimator on July 16, 2015, 09:13:03 PM
Quote from: screenexile on July 16, 2015, 08:06:29 PM
Quote from: Aaron Boone on July 16, 2015, 05:01:35 PM
McGeeney counted as one of the best managers of the game. Once all the pieces fall into place, then he will bring success.

By whom and based on what evidence??

Best managers of the game?

Don't get this at all. As one of the best managers of the game I would expect I excellent record of trophies/victories at club and/or county record. I cannot think of anything McGeeney has done to warrant such praise.

Me neither. The media laps up everything that he says and does with a spoon & never asks any of the hard questions. Maybe his undoubted brilliance as a player, blinds them to his short comings as a manager? What big game(s) has he ever won? What top tier team(s) has he ever beaten? What significant trophy has he ever won? How many All Ireland Finals have his teams been in?

According to my boss, I am a very good organizer and a very good motivator. Lots of people are. Doesn't mean we'd all make good inter county managers.

It takes more than a good manager to win All Ireland's. Mickey proved that he was a good manager by winning 3  but now he does not have the players and is not close to winning anything. In Gaelic football you need the players. In my opinion Kildare were improved by Geezer being in charge. The jury is still out with Armagh. Is he a good manager. I do not know but if he gets Armagh to the same level he took Kildare to in the next couple of years the answer will be yes.

Food for thought. Who is the better manager. Malachi O'Rourke who has won one Ulster title in his county managerial career or James Horan who won plenty of provincials with Mayo?

Throw ball

Quote from: ONeill on July 17, 2015, 12:16:56 AM
Quote from: regal on July 17, 2015, 12:01:04 AM

We have better players than Tyrone, down, Derry and a much more committed panel than Tyrone & Derry -

No you don't.

Everyone has an opinion. Proving who is right is a different matter.

omaghjoe

We have better players than Tyrone, down, Derry and a much more committed panel than Tyrone & Derry -

No you don't.

:D :D :D :D
This thread is some craic, although the above statement is the best of the bunch there has been a few good ones that indicate the dillsuional state of mind that you apple munchers have ATM.

Keep it up tho... its really giving me a quite a chuckle.
;)

Beffs

Quote from: Throw ball on July 17, 2015, 12:24:55 AM
Quote from: Beffs on July 17, 2015, 12:07:39 AM
Quote from: Estimator on July 16, 2015, 09:13:03 PM
Quote from: screenexile on July 16, 2015, 08:06:29 PM
Quote from: Aaron Boone on July 16, 2015, 05:01:35 PM
McGeeney counted as one of the best managers of the game. Once all the pieces fall into place, then he will bring success.

By whom and based on what evidence??

Best managers of the game?

Don't get this at all. As one of the best managers of the game I would expect I excellent record of trophies/victories at club and/or county record. I cannot think of anything McGeeney has done to warrant such praise.

Me neither. The media laps up everything that he says and does with a spoon & never asks any of the hard questions. Maybe his undoubted brilliance as a player, blinds them to his short comings as a manager? What big game(s) has he ever won? What top tier team(s) has he ever beaten? What significant trophy has he ever won? How many All Ireland Finals have his teams been in?

According to my boss, I am a very good organizer and a very good motivator. Lots of people are. Doesn't mean we'd all make good inter county managers.

It takes more than a good manager to win All Ireland's. Mickey proved that he was a good manager by winning 3  but now he does not have the players and is not close to winning anything. In Gaelic football you need the players. In my opinion Kildare were improved by Geezer being in charge. The jury is still out with Armagh. Is he a good manager. I do not know but if he gets Armagh to the same level he took Kildare to in the next couple of years the answer will be yes.

Food for thought. Who is the better manager. Malachi O'Rourke who has won one Ulster title in his county managerial career or James Horan who won plenty of provincials with Mayo?

That is fair enough. But to be considered one of the best managers in the game (which is what I was originally responding to,) he would have to be achieving at least what he did with Kildare and surpassing it. Other managers are judged by that kind of criteria. For some reason, McGeeney rarely is.

ck

A lot of people saying that McGeeney needs to be given time as its his 1st year, but is this not his 2nd year? I doubt if he sat back last year and no influence. The team seem to have gone back ways since, how do Armagh people explain that?

I watched the Donegal Armagh game on TV and what I saw that day was a team that were so rigid that they hadn't a clue how to play off the cuff, and I saw a manager who was like a rabbit in the headlights, the worse it got the less he reacted.

I'm not convinced by McGeeney at all, nor was I convinced with him at Kildare. He raises money (I assume partly to pay himself?) he preaches about martial arts, I would guess he's an excellent motivator and self disciplinarian and will have the respect of the players, but is there much else? If he's tactically inept that is a serious problem.

For a man who has won nothing as a manager he possesses a massive managerial profile. I can't help thinking much of it is hype and intrigue given his mysterious character?

BennyCake

We need kick passers. Players are afraid to kick, instead opt to retain possession while opponents get back in numbers. Look at Donaghy last year. Long ball in, lay off to O'Donoghue, goal. It changed Kerry's season. We have no players that can kick long than 20 yards. We're too predictable ned unimaginative.

T Fearon

Too much made of last year's run.We beat Tyrone,Roscommon and Meath,three average teams and nearly caught an over cautious Donegal team.Cavan got to the qtr finals the year before and did nothing since.

DennistheMenace

No you don't.

Laughable statement. Both Tyrone and Derry have a better starting team and Derry especially have a better squad.

twohands!!!

Quote from: T Fearon on July 17, 2015, 08:25:33 AM
Too much made of last year's run.We beat Tyrone,Roscommon and Meath,three average teams and nearly caught an over cautious Donegal team.Cavan got to the qtr finals the year before and did nothing since.

I think way too much was made of the Donegal performance in particular - Donegal were rancid that day and yet they still got the win.

It's one thing to lose to Donegal by a point when they are playing well, but when they are playing badly it's a whole different ballgame.

If the Armagh game wasn't the worst championship performance of the McGuinness era by Donegal it came damm close.

Even looking at the other three Armagh beat last year, it took Tyrone a replay to get past Down before Monaghan beat them.

Roscommon beat Leitrim lost to Mayo, before beating Cavan while Meath battered Carlow, beat Kildare and lost to the Dubs.

Overall these 3 were like the perfect definition of average/middling teams last year.

ck

Bottom line is that last years Armagh team looked better than this years team regardless of opposition. McGeeney was there both years. Regardless of all the excuses above ye nearly beat Donegal last year and absolutely should have won, this year ye were hammered out the gate in one of the most one sided Ulster Cship games I've ever witnessed.

illdecide

I thought Armagh were lucky enough last year with the draws in the back door which let them build up a it of momentum and gave Donegal a good game (whether or not Donegal played good is up to your own discretion). I thought by watching league games this year that we punched a bit above our weight last year but was genuinely expecting a small bit of progress from last year but having attended their three championship games I believe we have reversed up the road a bit, the tactics and lack of changes from the team in these three games were v disappointing.

What next for Armagh?. Dunno, but i'll certainly wait until this time next year and make a real judgement on Kieran McGeeney but this season does not fill me with optimism for next year. The excuses used was we were in Div 3 and a few key injuries so we'll see how that one pans out :-X
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

Throw ball

Quote from: DennistheMenace on July 17, 2015, 08:54:57 AM

No you don't.

Laughable statement. Both Tyrone and Derry have a better starting team and Derry especially have a better squad.

Who was it that said that a man always thinks he has the best looking wife?

Throw ball

Comparing Armagh this year and last is difficult. We should remember that the team that played on Sunday had 7 changes from the team that played Donegal last year.

My main concern still is that all year the team has been less than its parts.

BennyCake

Quote from: T Fearon on July 17, 2015, 08:25:33 AM

Totally agree.

Bingo

My Twopence worth.

There isn't enough winners in the Armagh team. One of the big teams with Monaghan team is that the vast majority of them and backbone of the team have all tasted success at club level - Ballybay, Latton, Scotstown and Clontibret (Maghercloone in earlier years) all have players who have won county titles, league and championship. They know how to win and expect to win. They've carried this onto county level. Other players can then fit into this and grown from it.

Armagh lack this and have players who, when it comes to championship football, expect to get beat. Cross just have a strangle hold on it and too many players don't know how to win big games. When Armagh went well they have a big backbone of Cross players - McEntees, Francie, Oisin, Joe Himself at the helm.

For such a dominate club side, Cross have not as much representation on the team or in key positions. McGeeney can appear to be big into the mental side of the game and preparation but its very hard to install a ruthless winning streak into players used to been underdogs.

For a team to break into the next level they have to learn to win. To me, this happened for Monaghan when the squad was filled with players from a spread of clubs who had all came back to win county medals - namely the Latton, Scotstown and Ballybay players.

Its one theory anyway.

Quote from: BennyCake on July 17, 2015, 02:38:35 AM
We need kick passers. Players are afraid to kick, instead opt to retain possession while opponents get back in numbers. Look at Donaghy last year. Long ball in, lay off to O'Donoghue, goal. It changed Kerry's season. We have no players that can kick long than 20 yards. We're too predictable ned unimaginative.

Which is hard to figure out considering ye have the past ball kicking club team in the country.