Where,What,How for the GAA in Armagh?

Started by LCohen, July 16, 2015, 03:27:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smelmoth

Quote from: LCohen on July 16, 2015, 03:27:17 PM
The Down fans have a thread - why can we?

A fairly depressing season for Armagh. A big panel, a big backroom, little club footbal being played by county squad members, little underage success, turgid style of football at underage and especially senior level, no appreciation of the need to attack, no appreciaition of the need to address discipline, 4 more years to look forward to, little self belief in the squad/team, a stupid bloody big screen in the corner of the ground that doesn't get turned on.

What does next year hold and what do we need  to do.

Yes what is the deal with that screen? It serves no function.

Estimator

Quote from: screenexile on July 16, 2015, 08:06:29 PM
Quote from: Aaron Boone on July 16, 2015, 05:01:35 PM
McGeeney counted as one of the best managers of the game. Once all the pieces fall into place, then he will bring success.

By whom and based on what evidence??

Best managers of the game?

Don't get this at all. As one of the best managers of the game I would expect I excellent record of trophies/victories at club and/or county record. I cannot think of anything McGeeney has done to warrant such praise.
Ulster League Champions 2009

smelmoth

Quote from: Dinny Breen on July 16, 2015, 04:07:16 PM
Patience, I know we live in a knee-jerk reaction world but if you look at McGeeney and Kildare years 2,3 and 4 were the best years. Played some superb attacking football, got us to Division 1 and an AI semi plus some heart breaking moments. Just wait a while before you judge his tenure.
Superb attacking football??

McGeeney counted as one of the best managers of the game. Once all the pieces fall into place, then he will bring success.

Really? By whom and on what basis?

Quote from: Throw ball on July 16, 2015, 06:34:07 PM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on July 16, 2015, 05:22:23 PM

He has weaknesses, poor on the line and tactically inflexible. If I was an Armagh supporter would like to see him draft in Joe Kernan to be his Mickey Whelan type consultant.

McGeeney needs help. Maybe Grimley is the answer if he was the architect of the kicking style in the 2014 championship. Whoever it is they need to be able to stand up to McGeeney. And whoever it is McGeeney has to be prepared to listen to them.

smelmoth

Quote from: Dinny Breen on July 16, 2015, 06:34:33 PM
Quote from: moysider on July 16, 2015, 05:35:51 PM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on July 16, 2015, 05:22:23 PM

He has weaknesses, poor on the line and tactically inflexible. If I was an Armagh supporter would like to see him draft in Joe Kernan to be his Mickey Whelan type consultant.

Fairly alarming deficiencies in fairness ???
What are the things he does well?

He's very good at creating a team environment and culture. Strong organisational skills, good on a technical level and a very good motivator, excellent man-manager by all accounts. Yea tactics is his weakness and I think his lack of experience at club level or even under-age is evident.
As you say that technical level does not include tactics. It simply cannot. The evidence is overwhelming. That is a fairly major technical deficiency in the modern game
His motivation and man-management skills delivered a team that was incapable of making a decision on the field of play, that lacked confidence and looked totally bewildered by what they were asked to do.

armaghniac

Patience, I know we live in a knee-jerk reaction world but if you look at McGeeney and Kildare years 2,3 and 4 were the best years. Played some superb attacking football, got us to Division 1 and an AI semi plus some heart breaking moments. Just wait a while before you judge his tenure.

For which of these years was Grimley involved?
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

smelmoth

Quote from: DuffleKing on July 16, 2015, 07:02:51 PM
Quote from: LCohen on July 16, 2015, 03:27:17 PM
The Down fans have a thread - why can we?

A fairly depressing season for Armagh. A big panel, a big backroom, little club footbal being played by county squad members, little underage success, turgid style of football at underage and especially senior level, no appreciation of the need to attack, no appreciaition of the need to address discipline, 4 more years to look forward to, little self belief in the squad/team, a stupid bloody big screen in the corner of the ground that doesn't get turned on.

What does next year hold and what do we need  to do.

Nine months into a 5 year development commitment by the county. I'm sure McGeeney will have a pretty good picture of what needs to happen next. If there was disappointment with performances and return for the work they've done among fans I can only imagine the rage it have generated in McGeeney.

The discussion on the ground seems to be mostly centred on style of play but his Kildare teams always played attractive football to a fault - you'd expect this to evolve. The biggest problem he faces with this is tradition - Armagh are a kicking county by nature and everyone wants to see that but... against the better teams with structured defences it is nigh on impossible to kick much ball effectively.

I take no solace in McGeeney's assumed rage. The problems go well beyond the Galway game but in that game there were simlple changes to be made. They weren't made. Whether he was in a state of rage or not is of no consequence. The important thing is he stood there arms folded and failed to identify and correct issues within his control.

A seeper standing beside our keeper when we were 5 down with 5 to go???? You wouldn't see it at primary school. 

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: armaghniac on July 16, 2015, 09:25:32 PM

For which of these years was Grimley involved?

1 & 2
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

DuffleKing

Quote from: smelmoth on July 16, 2015, 09:17:38 PM
McGeeney needs help. Maybe Grimley is the answer if he was the architect of the kicking style in the 2014 championship. Whoever it is they need to be able to stand up to McGeeney. And whoever it is McGeeney has to be prepared to listen to them.

That's a complete myth that i've seen peddled elsewhere. Armagh hardly kicked meaningful ball against Tyrone and particularly Donegal last year - they did of course kick against the weaker teams who left space in their defence.

Quote from: smelmoth on July 16, 2015, 09:28:32 PM
I take no solace in McGeeney's assumed rage. The problems go well beyond the Galway game but in that game there were simlple changes to be made. They weren't made. Whether he was in a state of rage or not is of no consequence. The important thing is he stood there arms folded and failed to identify and correct issues within his control.

A seeper standing beside our keeper when we were 5 down with 5 to go???? You wouldn't see it at primary school.

I see this "analysis" on the county site - it really makes me scratch my head. Why is it assumed that people with the background of entire backroom teams are complete idiots when teams don't perform. Why do the enlightened also assume that there is a plethora of fundamental flaws because performances are below inflated expectancy? Getting a team to perform at the highest level - and winning matches - is fine art. Sometimes luck throws the ingredients together in the right formula quickly, sometimes it takes time.

First year of what I assume is a long term change of mindset and culture and there are "supporters" throwing the toys out. I'd expect the outsiders with an agenda to have their moment in the sun but i'd expect the Armagh men (with agendas) to hold their counsel til they've a bit of credibility.

Year 1 - good league, bad championship

Someone compared Down's year - let's see where both counties are in 12 months.

naka

For myself was disappointed with this year
But given I am closer to 50 than 40 I am content to see where geezer takes us
For what's it's worth people may slag him off but he raises cash  and is committed for the county
I have been involved in business for years and everyone who knows me knows I love the county
No one ever asked for help for the orchard
Geezer and indeed Cathal o rourke rang asking for assistance and sponsorship
They called done to office with Aidan for pictures on a wet Tuesday in January
I am happy that these guys are committed
Let's see where we get to over the next few years

5 Sams

Quote from: naka on July 16, 2015, 11:12:52 PM
For myself was disappointed with this year
But given I am closer to 50 than 40 I am content to see where geezer takes us
For what's it's worth people may slag him off but he raises cash  and is committed for the county
I have been involved in business for years and everyone who knows me knows I love the county
No one ever asked for help for the orchard
Geezer and indeed Cathal o rourke rang asking for assistance and sponsorship
They called done to office with Aidan for pictures on a wet Tuesday in January
I am happy that these guys are committed
Let's see where we get to over the next few years

You know me Naka..and you know my views but I think McGeeney should be given time. But I think you are in the same position as us. A good manager but sparse resources. Our men in the Co Board are also 100% committed. They will keep forging ahead raising money to support our football teams just like your lads. Until we unearth another crew like 2002 or 1991 I'm afraid we have to keep plodding along. There is maybe more fundamental issues at underage level in both counties both that's for another day.
The Aristocrat Years

naka

5sams
I agree
There is a lot of criticism in both counties
I know that down are fighting hard for resources and funnily enough I want to see them doing well
It's tough but I think that the guys on here who criticise need to realise the cost of running the development squads etc

regal

A really disappointing season for all involved with Armagh, no doubt including supporters, players and management. I think most supporters realise where mistakes were made and are hopeful that changes can be made for next season (I.e. A more attacking game plan).

I think our season capitulated after 10 minutes of the Donegal match. However, in hindsight, division 3 was masking poor performances against tipp, Louth, Fermanagh and Sligo.

We have better players than Tyrone, down, Derry and a much more committed panel than Tyrone & Derry - with a few tweaks we can move on next season

5 Sams

Quote from: naka on July 16, 2015, 11:49:50 PM
5sams
I agree
There is a lot of criticism in both counties
I know that down are fighting hard for resources and funnily enough I want to see them doing well
It's tough but I think that the guys on here who criticise need to realise the cost of running the development squads etc

+1

The boys on here and on the Down thread criticising haven't a clue about club or county set ups and what it takes to keep them going.
The Aristocrat Years

Beffs

Quote from: Estimator on July 16, 2015, 09:13:03 PM
Quote from: screenexile on July 16, 2015, 08:06:29 PM

By whom and based on what evidence??

Best managers of the game?

Don't get this at all. As one of the best managers of the game I would expect I excellent record of trophies/victories at club and/or county record. I cannot think of anything McGeeney has done to warrant such praise.

Me neither. The media laps up everything that he says and does with a spoon & never asks any of the hard questions. Maybe his undoubted brilliance as a player, blinds them to his short comings as a manager? What big game(s) has he ever won? What top tier team(s) has he ever beaten? What significant trophy has he ever won? How many All Ireland Finals have his teams been in?

According to my boss, I am a very good organizer and a very good motivator. Lots of people are. Doesn't mean we'd all make good inter county managers.

ONeill

Quote from: regal on July 17, 2015, 12:01:04 AM

We have better players than Tyrone, down, Derry and a much more committed panel than Tyrone & Derry -

No you don't.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.