Davy Byrne

Started by The Hill is Blue, July 08, 2015, 09:00:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

moysider

Good interview by both there. Yet if anything it raises more suspicions that this incident is being swept under the carpet. Gavin did fine but a lot of 'frank discussion' and a 'both players wanting to get their intercounty careers back on track' repeatedly used tells a lot. In fairness to him he could only do a good damage - limitation rear-guard action type of job. Stuff politicians do when they are under the cosh. Neither county needs this. Gavin wasn t winging it but he sounded hesitant and repeated the safe sound-bites a few times. I doubt that this will go away but it might for now. Neither county needs this.

CP seemingly turning a blind eye is not good either. Just because its a challenge game doesn t mean it shouldn t get the scrutiny incidents that take the fancy of the panellists on the SG. I doubt if the referee is a nobody either. And the game was videoed. Of course I realise the incident may not have been on the video.

Syferus

It would do the power of good for the SG lads to tackle this issue on their coverage on Sunday. Probably the only way it won't be successfully ignored and swept under the carpet by the counties or the GAA.

These sorts of things go way beyond two IC teams' seasons or even the two players involved - it highlights accepted practices in the GAA that are at odds with the outside world. The reaction to it by the teams and the GAA is the most jarring aspect.

moysider

Quote from: Syferus on July 10, 2015, 12:41:02 AM
It would do the power of good for the SG lads to tackle this issue on their coverage on Sunday. Probably the only way it won't be successfully ignored and swept under the carpet by the counties or the GAA.

These sorts of things go way beyond two IC teams' seasons or even the two players involved - it highlights accepted practices in the GAA that are at odds with the outside world. The reaction to it by the teams and the GAA is the most jarring aspect.

This is not an issue for the SG imo.

Fair play to Gavin for agreeing to do that interview. I always though he was smug but I thought he came across as being vulnerable and limited there. Not sure that interview will make things go away. God help us if the SG is the watchdog of discipline in our games.

Syferus

Quote from: moysider on July 10, 2015, 01:32:56 AM
Quote from: Syferus on July 10, 2015, 12:41:02 AM

This is not an issue for the SG imo.

Fair play to Gavin for agreeing to do that interview. I always though he was smug but I thought he came across as being vulnerable and limited there. Not sure that interview will make things go away. God help us if the SG is the watchdog of discipline in our games.

It is now that it's in the process of being ignored. This whole thing will be quietly put away unless the issue gets a jolt. Like it or not when something gets highlighted on RTE the GAA wakes up. This is an absolutely perfect way for that power to be used for good rather than dubious reasons. Hopefully Brolly's on the panel..

Bod Mor

Can't believe nobody has mentioned this yet.

http://www.hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=240706

Jamie Clarke says there is no place on a football field for sledging or sectarian abuse.

Speaking as an ambassador at the launch of the GPA's Fair Play Campaign, the Armagh ace points out that he has been targetted both inside and outside Ulster:

"It's certainly become a strategy of certain teams, absolutely," the Crossmaglen attacker is quoted in The Irish Times. "I would say more so in Ulster, yes, although from an Armagh perspective, there are times when you are playing southern teams, and you stupidly have got sectarian abuse. Even though it doesn't make sense when you are playing Gaelic football.

"Ultimately, teams will do whatever it takes to win. The fair play campaign is something we need to promote more. There has been a lot of focus on cynicism and verbal abuse over this summer. There is not a game that goes by that you don't hear about it.

"We all give it everything, we all want to win and we all want that winning mentality. But ultimately the GAA itself and everything around it is based on respect, on and off the field. Although we are amateur, it has grown professionally and it is heading in that direction. And it us up to the players to lead by example."
Ó chuir mé 'mo cheann é ní stopfaidh mé choíche
Go seasfaidh mé thíos i lár Chondae Mhaigh Eo.

Sidney

Parkinson made a fool of Gavin there.

The GAA really need to get to the bottom of all this and make examples of people. The wishes of the players involved should be irrelevant.

Otherwise it's a charter for neanderthal apes.

macdanger2

Quote from: Sidney on July 10, 2015, 08:29:38 AM

The GAA really need to get to the bottom of all this and make examples of people. The wishes of the players involved should be irrelevant.

I agree - if two teams got in a brawl in an All Ireland Final and then had a "frank discussion" and made up, would the ref agree not to send anybody off??

Dinny Breen

Who was the referee? Surely the referee's chief has to come down hard on him, at least a suspension for the rest of the year. He was the independent ajudicator there, I hope he finds his spine and comes forward. If you were a theory conspiracist you'd swear that the GAA having invested so much in their Apple cart that they would be loathe to upset it.  Can see Newstalk losing rights if they persist with investigating this.
#newbridgeornowhere

omagh_gael

Only two options make sense to me here:

1. Byrne either started or was throwing shapes as well and came out a lot worse and they genuinely just want to move on. Clearly the ref would have had to have acquiesced considerably for this not to have made his report. Is the ref who took charge of this game known within the public domain? Can he be named?

2. Byrne is pursuing legal action and all parties are restricted in their reporting.

squire_in_navy_slacks

Quote from: Sidney on July 10, 2015, 08:29:38 AM

Gavin shouldnt have gave that interview to that sneering fool parkinson.

I see your make "examples of people" is really an investigation and banning of dublin players for the championship more like !!!!!!!!!!!

Nuts and bolts are Byrne is a mouth piece and got a few slaps......................Mill up and Dublin gave it back in spades....................Move on

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: omagh_gael on July 10, 2015, 09:57:00 AM
Only two options make sense to me here:

1. Byrne either started or was throwing shapes as well and came out a lot worse and they genuinely just want to move on. Clearly the ref would have had to have acquiesced considerably for this not to have made his report. Is the ref who took charge of this game known within the public domain? Can he be named?

2. Byrne is pursuing legal action and all parties are restricted in their reporting.

I think the third otion is that Dublin dont want this investigated as the insuing melee involved several frst team players that would also be in line for a ban if the GAA where to review the video, Im sure the same could be said for Armagh.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

westbound

Quote from: blewuporstuffed on July 10, 2015, 10:10:04 AM

I think the third otion is that Dublin dont want this investigated as the insuing melee involved several frst team players that would also be in line for a ban if the GAA where to review the video, Im sure the same could be said for Armagh.

THIS

I'm assuming the 'melee' that followed is accepted as fact? - I'm basing this on the report on off the ball last night.

I'd say there isn't a team in the country that wouldn't be dealing with this in the same way.

Still doesn't make it right though.

Can the gaa powers that be just request a copy of the video? I know dublin and armagh could refuse to give it to them or lose the tape! or whatever but the GAA need to be seen to be doing something about this.

Blue in hope

The Referee involved here is an inter county referee who is on the panel of refs for the championship.-top16-. He is Leinster based.

armaghniac

Eugene McGee talking about this on RTÉRadio 1 in a few mins.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B