Connacht Final. Mayo v Sligo. July 19.

Started by moysider, June 22, 2015, 04:29:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syferus

Another successfully hosted Connacht final and not a single Mayo supporter was locked in a porta-potty and rolled down the Golf Links Road exit, much as we'd have liked to.

Mayo4Sam

Quote from: weareros on July 22, 2015, 01:29:36 PM
Given that it was a famous occasion - Mayo winning 5 in a row (the bashdards) - I thought The Rock did a great job of being in the zeitgeist. Should Mayo win the All-Ireland (God preserve us), I would hope 10 minutes will be spared on the DVD so future generations can enjoy the speech. The crowds on the pitch was nice to see, a  thing of the past for most football grounds. Awful that Ros town ran out of icecream but certainly down through the years I've always noticed the Mayo supporters old and new have to be sluppering at a big old ice-cream cone on their way to find their car past the mart but in fairness always kind enough to say "hard luck lads" before they go back to the slurp slurp slurph ah feckit it's melting.

Will the other four hours be available on a DVD of its own??
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

Jinxy

Quote from: mylestheslasher on July 22, 2015, 01:22:45 PM
Quote from: Mano on July 22, 2015, 11:17:25 AM
Quote from: Shrewdness on July 22, 2015, 08:58:56 AM
Some of ye Mayo lads should ease off on the whinging and complaining. It's referees, venues, how ye're management were selected, ticket allocations and where in the ground those tickets are for, Hyde Park, anything to do with Roscommon etc. And now the latest one!! The quality of speech delivered by someone presenting ye with the Nestor Cup!! If he said very little, he'd have probably been accused of being bitter towards Mayo...Go on lads, ye have an outstanding team, full of class with a loyal support. Some of that support need to show a bit of class as well and not be bitching about every little thing..This could yet turn out to be the best year of ye're lives. Enjoy it.

In fairness Mayo fans do like to have a whinge and a moan. Although I can understand their anger at the Limerick venue debacle and Cormac Reilly referring performance last year. Personally I didn't understand their issues with Hyde Park. The pitch stood up well despite the inclement weather of the day before. The standing on the terraces can be a bit of a discomfort for older patrons and also for the youngsters to get a view but overall I thought the venue was fine.
Mayo have a fantastic team and backroom staff who always give of their best no matter who they are playing so I suppose they have to direct the complaints somewhere.

There are bog roads in Offaly more level than the pitch at Hyde park, its a total shite hole in my opinion. Whats worse its been like that for decades and nothing seems to have changed. I can handle the old looking ground but surely something can be done about the pitch?

They can't touch it, it's technically a nature reserve.
There are several species of small indigenous birds that are found nesting only within the long grass of the Hyde.
Birds such as the Roscommon Warbler, the Cake Wren and the rarest of them all, the Great Syferus Tit.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

macdanger2

Quote from: Blowitupref on July 22, 2015, 02:27:58 PM
Out of interest did it reach the 23,500 capacity on Sunday?

Attendance was announced as 23,200 or so but apparently it was a sell-out so the rest are either miscounted or bought tickets and didn't show

Location-wise, the Hyde is infinitely better than Salthill but the sooner the ground is redeveloped, the better.

Having games there is nice for the locals to see a Connacht final now and again  ;D

Rossfan

Quote from: Jinxy on July 22, 2015, 03:02:47 PM
There are bog roads in Offaly more level than the pitch at Hyde park, its a total shite hole in my opinion. Whats worse its been like that for decades and nothing seems to have changed. I can handle the old looking ground but surely something can be done about the pitch?

There are several species of small indigenous birds that are found nesting only within the long grass of the Hyde.
Birds such as the Roscommon Warbler, the Cake Wren and the rarest of them all, the Great Syferus Tit.
[/quote]

From a yahoo whose big rich effin County can't even terrace the two ends of their 1950s ground.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

moysider

Some of ye Mayo lads should ease off on the whinging and complaining. It's referees, venues, how ye're management were selected, ticket allocations and where in the ground those tickets are for, Hyde Park, anything to do with Roscommon etc. And now the latest one!! The quality of speech delivered by someone presenting ye with the Nestor Cup!! If he said very little, he'd have probably been accused of being bitter towards Mayo...Go on lads, ye have an outstanding team, full of class with a loyal support. Some of that support need to show a bit of class as well and not be bitching about every little thing..This could yet turn out to be the best year of ye're lives. Enjoy it.

In fairness Mayo fans do like to have a whinge and a moan. Although I can understand their anger at the Limerick venue debacle and Cormac Reilly referring performance last year. Personally I didn't understand their issues with Hyde Park. The pitch stood up well despite the inclement weather of the day before. The standing on the terraces can be a bit of a discomfort for older patrons and also for the youngsters to get a view but overall I thought the venue was fine.
Mayo have a fantastic team and backroom staff who always give of their best no matter who they are playing so I suppose they have to direct the complaints somewhere.

Good one. But you forgot to mention the miniature shag, primrose and blue cuckoos and the bitter(n)

muppet

;D ;D ;D

Can't say I really enjoyed that match. It is hard to take pleasure from such a one-sided contest. In fairness at least the Sligo forwards and their supporters kept going to the bitter end. But the game did nothing for either team.

The Hyde was what it is. Outdated certainly, but it was nowhere near full, so there were no traffic or crowd problems that I saw. This was even despite the obligatory draw for some form of wildebeest, that of course has to be there in person close to the ground. Does this happen anywhere else?
MWWSI 2017

moysider

It was a nice limousin heifer too Muppet. Nearly bought a ticket. Great to see that kinda carry-on.

muppet

Quote from: moysider on July 23, 2015, 06:11:23 PM

It was a nice limousin heifer too Muppet. Nearly bought a ticket. Great to see that kinda carry-on.

Can she play full back?
MWWSI 2017

Rossfan

From the Bunker

Just wondering with a plethora of Mayo players with 5 or more Connacht Senior medals. Who holds the record? I'd guess its a Galway lad who played from the late Fifties to the mid to late sixties. Galway won 16 titles in 23 years from 1954 to 1976!

http://www.the42.ie/alan-dillon-andy-moran-2225866-Jul2015/

muppet

Quote from: From the Bunker on July 23, 2015, 07:22:21 PM
Just wondering with a plethora of Mayo players with 5 or more Connacht Senior medals. Who holds the record? I'd guess its a Galway lad who played from the late Fifties to the mid to late sixties. Galway won 16 titles in 23 years from 1954 to 1976!

The announcer on Sunday said Mattie McDonagh had 4 All-Irelands and 10 Connacht Senior medals and that was the record.

But then he introduced Liam Sammon as Liam Griffin!
MWWSI 2017

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: muppet on July 23, 2015, 08:54:15 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on July 23, 2015, 07:22:21 PM

The announcer on Sunday said Mattie McDonagh had 4 All-Irelands and 10 Connacht Senior medals and that was the record.

But then he introduced Liam Sammon as Liam Griffin!

He's right about the All-Ireland's anyway. Not sure how many Connacht's he won.

Rossfan

I recall reading somewhere that Mattie had 10 Connachts.
As always in a team game he didn't win them on his own.

sans pessimism

Quote from: muppet on July 23, 2015, 06:20:34 PM
Quote from: moysider on July 23, 2015, 06:11:23 PM

Can she play full back?
played full forward on Sunday
"So Boys stick together
in all kinds of weather"