Connacht Final. Mayo v Sligo. July 19.

Started by moysider, June 22, 2015, 04:29:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mac2

Quote from: Farrandeelin on July 16, 2015, 09:43:35 AM
Hope you're right highorlow. Anyway, am I the only one on here that thinks Barrett is unlucky to miss out?
Who would you drop Cunniffe or Vaughan?
I think Vaughan needs to be in to allow him drive forward now that Keegan and Boyle are been asked to hold their positions.

highorlow

QuoteWho would you drop Cunniffe or Vaughan?
I think Vaughan needs to be in to allow him drive forward now that Keegan and Boyle are been asked to hold their positions.

Likely that Sligo will be forced into long kick outs, this could be another reason for Donie.
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

Mano

Farrandeelin

I thought Cunnffe was ropey enough in the first half the last day, though he improved in the second half. I just think Barrett is unlucky. He's a great asset off the bench though.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Nihilist

Quote from: macdanger2 on July 16, 2015, 11:40:03 AM
Quote from: sans pessimism on July 16, 2015, 09:22:40 AM
Quote from: Nihilist on July 16, 2015, 08:37:07 AM
Interesting statistics from Martin Breheny in today's independent.

Mayo going for 13 in a row in Connacht this Sunday. (Unlucky 13?)
Also going for 5 in a row titles.

In that period they have only played Sligo once - where Sligo setup defensively and lost by 2 points in the Hyde in 2012.
Finally the last team to beat Mayo in Connacht were Sligo in 2010.
Fuckn Hell-did you just relete 'interesting' and 'Martin Breheny'

;D ;D ;D ;D I thought the exact same thing when I read that post!!

Fair enough. Unfortunately I felt I had to reference it as being Brehenys article. But personally I think he's s**te as well.

It was a summary of the stats alone I thought were interesting.
According to PP Mayo are 1/10 to win with the handicap being 7 points.
Put that against the last 2 times Mayo played Sligo and the question of "fate" and the 5 in a row fails historically throughout the GAA.

Nihilist

What happens to the losers of the Connacht final?
In which side of the draw are they consigned to after it?

weareros

Good luck to our last remaining representative in this championship on Sunday: Dr. Hyde. In case Mayo lads are wondering why it always rains in Hyde Park (it doesn't of course), well that a good look at that lovely coast you have for what happens is that by "commodius vicus of recirculation" to quote Joyce (not Padraig), clouds rise and arrive over Hyde and in the words of McGahern then piss down on the Holy Catholics of Connacht.

Very much looking forward to this game. Was there in 2012 and thought Sligo should have won and AOS was the difference that day when he came on as a sub and did a Willie Joe type rousing catch and scored an even more rousing point. It will be interesting to see if the Mayo backs cope better with Sligo's diagonal balls that our farcical efforts and the pulling the full forward out to create space for the corners to create havoc. I must say while I am a big fan of Marren, he is fortunate to be playing given the unprovoked punch in the stomach to Cathal Shine while Cormac Reilly stood their watching but Cormac as we know doesn't see things that are and sees things that aren't.

Will be a major surprise if Mayo don't win. But both teams are only playing their second game. Could be some serious cobwebs on display and I don't mean the seats in the stand.

jjjshabadoojnr

Quote from: weareros on July 16, 2015, 01:56:42 PM
Good luck to our last remaining representative in this championship on Sunday: Dr. Hyde. In case Mayo lads are wondering why it always rains in Hyde Park (it doesn't of course), well that a good look at that lovely coast you have for what happens is that by "commodius vicus of recirculation" to quote Joyce (not Padraig), clouds rise and arrive over Hyde and in the words of McGahern then piss down on the Holy Catholics of Connacht.

Very much looking forward to this game. Was there in 2012 and thought Sligo should have won and AOS was the difference that day when he came on as a sub and did a Willie Joe type rousing catch and scored an even more rousing point. It will be interesting to see if the Mayo backs cope better with Sligo's diagonal balls that our farcical efforts and the pulling the full forward out to create space for the corners to create havoc. I must say while I am a big fan of Marren, he is fortunate to be playing given the unprovoked punch in the stomach to Cathal Shine while Cormac Reilly stood their watching but Cormac as we know doesn't see things that are and sees things that aren't.

Will be a major surprise if Mayo don't win. But both teams are only playing their second game. Could be some serious cobwebs on display and I don't mean the seats in the stand.
I though Maurice Deegan was the ref.

weareros

Quote from: jjjshabadoojnr on July 16, 2015, 02:04:16 PM
Quote from: weareros on July 16, 2015, 01:56:42 PM

I though Maurice Deegan was the ref.

Indeed he was but Mr. Reilly was standing on the sideline when the punch happened and not long after that ran onto the pitch to overrule the umpire for Murtagh's point. He was of course wrong. But anyway, enough of him. Best of  luck to both teams on Sunday and it will be a proud moment for Sligo to have a team in each match. Sincerely hope they win at least one.

Jinxy

Poor oul Cormac gets the blame for everything.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

joemamas

Quote from: Jinxy on July 16, 2015, 02:24:30 PM
Poor oul Cormac gets the blame for everything.

No but weareros is correct. He was standing pretty close to the Marren punch.

I guess I have fully recover from last August in Limerick.  >:(

baoithe

Quote from: Mano on July 16, 2015, 12:00:48 PM
Same Sligo team selected

James Horan on Newstalk has backed your view Mano - suggesting Gilmartin will start as part of a three man midfield.

Mano

Quote from: baoithe on July 16, 2015, 08:35:48 PM
Same Sligo team selected

James Horan on Newstalk has backed your view Mano - suggesting Gilmartin will start as part of a three man midfield.
It makes sense. We will be annihilated in midfield from kick outs if we don't get a ball winner in there or at least to disrupt Mayo from getting clean possession. Don't think Gilmartin for C Davey will make much difference in terms of mobility and he will be more of a threat in the air. Mayo will be much more clinical with possession than Roscommon were.

baoithe

Quote from: Mano on July 16, 2015, 09:53:59 PM
Quote from: baoithe on July 16, 2015, 08:35:48 PM
Same Sligo team selected

It makes sense. We will be annihilated in midfield from kick outs if we don't get a ball winner in there or at least to disrupt Mayo from getting clean possession. Don't think Gilmartin for C Davey will make much difference in terms of mobility and he will be more of a threat in the air. Mayo will be much more clinical with possession than Roscommon were.

I think either option involves a trade off. My point was that defensively we will be weakened by Gilmartin. It all adds to the intrigue.

I think Mayo will have too much power for us in any event.

For me, the minor match is of more importance to Sligo than the Senior. A good run by our minors will set the tone for underage panels coming behind them.

baoithe

Ye can say what ye like about him but none of ye would would be complaining if he played for ye're county:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5ZjZUmrDBQ