Cavan v Roscommon

Started by Shrewdness, June 22, 2015, 09:01:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Westside

Quote from: Syferus on June 30, 2015, 11:36:07 PM
We'll see how many of that front six are fit.

Any worries about handling Argue on the edge of the square?

Shrewdness

Fair play to you Westside, good informative post. Several of our forwards injured..Not talking the poor mouth, but i think it's going to be a big ask for Ros to lift themselves to win this game.. Breffni Park is surely worth a few points to Cavan..How much morale has been restored to Ros after the Sligo debacle? Several players out injured and a few more likely to play with injuries.. Just seeing too many negatives with Ros right now.. Hope i'm wrong, and we'll travel in hope.

Syferus

Quote from: Westside on July 01, 2015, 12:31:19 AM
Quote from: Syferus on June 30, 2015, 11:36:07 PM
We'll see how many of that front six are fit.

Any worries about handling Argue on the edge of the square?

Our centre-back and captain Niall Carty has a dodgy knee injury, been limited for a while now. When the FB line is fit it's our best line but we may have to move our corner-back Neil Collins to centre-back and altogether he can do a good job it will change the dynamic in the line. Defensively it's been the CHB spot that has been the weak link.

We've good footballing HBs but none of them have shown themselves to be the no-nonsense CHB we need to stop teams running down the spine of the defense. McKiernan getting past the HB line and having meters of space to bomb into or swing it over the bar would be my biggest fear.

Rossfan

We have 3 natural defenders on the panel - Collins, Murray and Fetherston.
Only one of them gets picked regularly.
The rest of the regular starters/sub's in defence are runny/passy wannabe attacking wing back types who haven't a defensive instinct from Adam.
Against London and Sligo we played Oul watery League football.
A repeat Saturday = end of 2015.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

cavanmaniac

The result of this game will shape the managerial futures of both Evans and Hyland, for sure. Hyland in particular needs the team to show some tangible progress on the field - he has made slow but positive progress so far but I'd go so far as to say that if he can't engineer a win at home to Roscommon after they spanked us last year, with the Rossies apparently in the doldrums/sick bay/squabbling on an expensive bus somewhere (take your pick) then he might have to make way for another man.
The team looked decent against Monaghan but surrendered the initiative when four points up, even if most seem to give credit to Monaghan for turning the tide themselves I think Cavan gave them a fair helping hand by standing off. That whiff of elementary rookie greeness this far into Hyland's reign, with the game there for the taking, worries me greatly, so I hope they've learned a lesson from that and are a bit more psychologically robust for this game.

I expect Cavan to shade it but Roscommon's wounded pride, what's at stake for Evans' project and an absolute lack of fear of Cavan means they will be a very different team to the one that capitulated against Sligo, and anyone expecting a comfortable home win wants their head examined in my opinion. There's nothing between these sides over the years really, last year's outlier excepted.

tippabu

I heard tipp played cavan recently in a challenge, anyone know how it went ?

highorlow

QuoteI heard tipp played cavan recently in a challenge, anyone know how it went ?

The Dubs played Cavan a while back too. That result would be the one to compare a like for like with the mighty Ross.
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

twohands!!!

Quote from: cavanmaniac on July 01, 2015, 04:06:34 AM
The result of this game will shape the managerial futures of both Evans and Hyland, for sure.

Hyland has been involved in one form or another for a good while now so it wouldnt exactly be the greatest surprise if there was a bit of pressure on him if Cavan don't get the result the next day. I think he might have been appointed up until 2016 when he got the solo gig. While he does have the U21 success and did get the promotion from Division 3 to Division 2, I could see a sense that they haven't quite made a proper breakthrough despite getting to the quarter-finals in 2013, Possible mutterings about things being stale, a new voice being needed to progress maybe ?

Pretty sure Evans's original deal with Roscommon got extended by a year to cover this year. Any Rossies can confirm? The drive up and down to Killorglin is a fairly long round trip and he's no spring chicken iirc. He was a Guard, and they can retire early but I've a notion he's a good bit retired now. Wouldnt be far off the 70 mark I'd say. As against that he might fancy having a crack off the big guns in Division 1.

The thing is that whoever gets through this round will likely be in with a pretty decent shout of progressing in the next round when you look at the possible opposition. One of Kildare/Offaly/Clare/Longford/Fermanagh/Antrim. Not exactly much to fear there. Get through that round and you will most likely have a 50/50 shot of a game against Westmeath to get to a quarter-final. For both these sides a last 8 spot at worst would look like a very decent year. They would likely be up against it at the quarter-final stage slot but far far better to be playing in August than not and they might just start to dream for a bit.

Shrewdness

I heard that an experimental Roscommon team drew with Galway in a challenge game last Saturday. But these games, for the most part, mean very little.. As far as i know, the iist of Ros players, either out injured or carrying injuries (including recent concussion) includes Niall Carty, Kevin Higgins, Mark Healy, Donie Shine, Senan Kilbride and Diarmuid Murtagh.

macdanger2

Denn Forever

There appears to  be a concensus that Saturday is  a make or break  for either Manager.  Who is in line to replace either manager?

It would be hard on either of them if they are replaced.  Evans has got Roscommon in to  Div. 1 and Hyland has secured Div 2 football for next year.  And the team is no longer whipping boys for the more established teams (not pretty to watch but better than watching the teams of the Carr era);.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

twohands!!!

Quote from: macdanger2 on July 01, 2015, 12:27:03 PM
Is this on the box?

Yup definitely on the box - cant remember if I read it was on Sky and the Cork Wexford hurling is on RTE or the other way around.

Put Up That Flag

Quote from: twohands!!! on July 01, 2015, 01:00:26 PM
Quote from: macdanger2 on July 01, 2015, 12:27:03 PM
Is this on the box?

Yup definitely on the box - cant remember if I read it was on Sky and the Cork Wexford hurling is on RTE or the other way around.

Fantastic,  what a chance for the country to see the galacticos on free to air television,  I hope people make the most of it and tune in to see the greatest assembled team ever take to the pitch. You have to feel for Cavan,  how can they realistically hope to give the rossies a game,  only way Cavan will keep it to 15 points is if the best forwards ever have the wrong studs in.

Syferus

Quote from: twohands!!! on July 01, 2015, 11:12:48 AM
Quote from: cavanmaniac on July 01, 2015, 04:06:34 AM
The result of this game will shape the managerial futures of both Evans and Hyland, for sure.

Hyland has been involved in one form or another for a good while now so it wouldnt exactly be the greatest surprise if there was a bit of pressure on him if Cavan don't get the result the next day. I think he might have been appointed up until 2016 when he got the solo gig. While he does have the U21 success and did get the promotion from Division 3 to Division 2, I could see a sense that they haven't quite made a proper breakthrough despite getting to the quarter-finals in 2013, Possible mutterings about things being stale, a new voice being needed to progress maybe ?

Pretty sure Evans's original deal with Roscommon got extended by a year to cover this year. Any Rossies can confirm? The drive up and down to Killorglin is a fairly long round trip and he's no spring chicken iirc. He was a Guard, and they can retire early but I've a notion he's a good bit retired now. Wouldnt be far off the 70 mark I'd say. As against that he might fancy having a crack off the big guns in Division 1.

The thing is that whoever gets through this round will likely be in with a pretty decent shout of progressing in the next round when you look at the possible opposition. One of Kildare/Offaly/Clare/Longford/Fermanagh/Antrim. Not exactly much to fear there. Get through that round and you will most likely have a 50/50 shot of a game against Westmeath to get to a quarter-final. For both these sides a last 8 spot at worst would look like a very decent year. They would likely be up against it at the quarter-final stage slot but far far better to be playing in August than not and they might just start to dream for a bit.

John Evans signed on for two years last Autumn.

larryin89

Well Mr syferus I hope he gets a ten year deal, a weak county manager is all I can describe him as , will not bring Roscommon on any further . Relegation next year and another Connacht exit probably in castlebar this time.
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .