Irish among dead in balcony collapse

Started by Walter Cronc, June 16, 2015, 01:02:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

That's the point I'm making Bingo. I'm not sure this was just 'cowboy builders' because this type of build seems to be the standard practice in the states. We have absolute cowboys here, but at least we tend to build with block and should be structurally sound.

But as you say, maybe a topic for a different thread.

armaghniac

Quote from: AZOffaly on June 18, 2015, 02:14:23 PM
That's the point I'm making Bingo. I'm not sure this was just 'cowboy builders' because this type of build seems to be the standard practice in the states. We have absolute cowboys here, but at least we tend to build with block and should be structurally sound.

But as you say, maybe a topic for a different thread.

The build is standard, but the detailing may have been shoddy cowboy builder stuff, allowing water in and so on.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

AZOffaly

Yes, and if the standard build is wood, and you let in water, it's not a good mix. If it was concrete and steel, this wouldn't be an issue. But anyway, forget it, it's something that can be discussed when the inquiry is happening.

Hardy

Reports this evening that the building main contractor has a history of paying out in legal actions for cowboy building - including shoddy balconies.

J70

Quote from: Hardy on June 18, 2015, 08:51:03 PM
Reports this evening that the building main contractor has a history of paying out in legal actions for cowboy building - including shoddy balconies.

That's a fact of life over here. The penalties for a lot building code and health and safety violations are ridiculously low, so much so that it is often cheaper to pay the fine than to correct the condition. This is especially the case with large companies.

5 Sams

Makes me very proud to see the way the Irish nation has reacted to this disaster. Aer Lingus, KBRT, Ireland America Fund, Online donations...all pulling together to get these kids home. Amazing stuff.
The Aristocrat Years

moysider

Quote from: Hardy on June 18, 2015, 08:51:03 PM

Interesting to see how they get the funds together to pay out on this one! Lets call a spade a spade a spade. The f**king thing was a joke. A death-trap. I ve seen 20 year old chicken coops less rotten.

Those that approved the structure and those that certified it since (and both of that criteria seems to have been met), should be facing manslaughter charges.

I assume the NYT journalist that wrote that shite has been roaded. Plus at least the sub-editor that let it through.

Eamonnca1

What I found strange was that the building management was "ordered to" inspect the failed materials and find out what went wrong. How come this wasn't a criminal investigation from the start?

SLIGONIAN

Condonlescenes to all those affected by this tragedy.

A few things I don't understand is why steel isn't used in the states to support balconies, I find that shocking but the biggest shock is that apparently these balconies are for aesthetic purposes only, wtf, if that's the case no one should be able to access them, crazy to think that,

the other thing I don't understand is how when it collapsed they was so many fatalities, there was a balcony directly underneath which I would of thought would caught most if not everyone that fell and saved lives, but sadly they must of fell outward onto the ground by the sounds of it, shocking,

Totally agree 5 sams, great to see everyone pulling together to get everyone home in a timely manner, RIP
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

haveaharp

I know nothing about building but if the beams were made of wood and the balcony used for only aesthetic purposes only, wouldn't it still be at risk of eventually collapsing under its own weight even if it took 50 years ?

Hardy

I don't think there's anything wrong with using timber for structural load bearing as long as it doesn't get wet and rot. Timber has been holding up Tudor roofs for 500 years.

I think it may be a misunderstanding to suggest that the balconies were "for aesthetic purposes only" and therefore not meant to be load bearing. I believe the balconies were required for planning approval in order to fit in the streetscape or whatever. I don't think anyone (even an architect) would specify a decorative, non load-bearing balcony with a door for access.

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: Hardy on June 19, 2015, 12:34:40 PM
I don't think there's anything wrong with using timber for structural load bearing as long as it doesn't get wet and rot. Timber has been holding up Tudor roofs for 500 years.

I think it may be a misunderstanding to suggest that the balconies were "for aesthetic purposes only" and therefore not meant to be load bearing. I believe the balconies were required for planning approval in order to fit in the streetscape or whatever. I don't think anyone (even an architect) would specify a decorative, non load-bearing balcony with a door for access.
Fair points hardy
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

Gabriel_Hurl

Also, wood performs better in an earthquake zone like we have here.

Walter Cronc

Forgot myself there. Shouldn't have joked on this thread. Nah I rem seeing a few pics messing about the Toronto quake a few years back.

muppet

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on June 19, 2015, 09:18:58 AM
Condonlescenes to all those affected by this tragedy.

A few things I don't understand is why steel isn't used in the states to support balconies, I find that shocking but the biggest shock is that apparently these balconies are for aesthetic purposes only, wtf, if that's the case no one should be able to access them, crazy to think that,

the other thing I don't understand is how when it collapsed they was so many fatalities, there was a balcony directly underneath which I would of thought would caught most if not everyone that fell and saved lives, but sadly they must of fell outward onto the ground by the sounds of it, shocking,

Totally agree 5 sams, great to see everyone pulling together to get everyone home in a timely manner, RIP

I don't think it fell straight down, as in descended like an elevator with an even floor with everyone standing on it. I believe the part furthest from the wall fell away first, tipping everyone out onto the street and missing the balcony below. The balcony then rotated somewhat before landing on the one below.
MWWSI 2017