The official overcarrying thread

Started by highorlow, June 15, 2015, 01:11:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

imtommygunn

O'Reilly took a fair few steps before the donegal goal too.

haranguerer

Listening to the armagh game on the radio the commentator made mention of how may steps Clarke took for his first goal, so it must have been bad. Armagh struggling rightly to kill the game too til then.

upthehoops

Quote from: imtommygunn on June 29, 2015, 10:48:26 AM
O'Reilly took a fair few steps before the donegal goal too.
Must say I thought so but played it back at the time and he did actually shoot as he took his fifth stride

Teo Lurley

Dublin practice this in training. Holding the ball in one hand, making it seem you're about to bounce it while running for 8 steps is done by every Dublin player.

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: Teo Lurley on June 29, 2015, 12:50:27 PM
Dublin practice this in training. Holding the ball in one hand, making it seem you're about to bounce it while running for 8 steps is done by every Dublin player.
It is still over carrying though.
The hop doesn't start till the ball leaves your hand

J70

John Gildea (Donegal midfielder and McGuinness club mate from late 90s/2000s) used to be the man for the long hop. He would swing the ball like an NBA player going up to dunk. Between the start of the swing and ball leaving the hand he could have four or five steps taken.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Esmarelda on June 29, 2015, 10:47:38 AM
Quote from: manfromdelmonte on June 28, 2015, 03:21:13 PM
Quote from: Estimator on June 28, 2015, 03:17:35 PM
The fella in charge of the Westmeath/Eastmeath match has clearly been reading this thread. I've seen more frees given for over-carrying in this game than all of the other matches combined that I've watched this season.
It's great!
I'm pretty sure Bray overcarried for the opening point.

maybe but he caught most of the overcarrying throughout the game, fair fecks to him
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

topcuppla

Quote from: haranguerer on June 29, 2015, 12:28:56 PM
Listening to the armagh game on the radio the commentator made mention of how may steps Clarke took for his first goal, so it must have been bad. Armagh struggling rightly to kill the game too til then.

Was only 8 or 9!

highorlow

Connolly's goal was a close call. Probably one of those that you would give the benefit to the forward.
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

magpie seanie

At a club game at the weekend and the ref called a lot of overcarrying fouls. To be honest no-one even batted an eyelid because they were so obvious. If anything he missed several more.

magpie seanie

Quote from: Hardy on June 17, 2015, 09:53:08 AM
Why change the rule when the problem is the refereeing? When are we ever going to come to grips with this basic issue? What does Pat McEneaney see his job as? What does Ayatollah Duffy have to say about the blatantly obvious refusal or inability of referees to implement the rules and the reasons for this?

If the usual procedures are applied, this will continue to be ignored until some gobshite on the Sunday game suddenly realises it has the makings of a headline for him. Because the opinion of a Sunday Games panellist is a more powerful force in the GAA than a congress, something will be done at that point. But, as usual, it will be the wrong thing, probably involving rule changes, further sanctions on players and a special congress which, at best, will make no difference or, at worst, will make things worse.

That's how the system seems to work. My own theory about why the administrators refuse to recognise the refereeing debacle is because referees are 'us' and players are 'them'. The job of 'us' is to control 'them'. We, being 'us', are right by definition and cannot be wrong. That would be an appalling vista. So if we're not implementing the rules, there must be something wrong with the rules.

Great post. That's sadly the way it works, reference the black card debacle.

AZOffaly

The black card was fine, and is fine, except for those refs who don't enforce it. As Hardy says. I think we've seen a lot less bollicky fouls out the field, and almost complete eradication of the body check.

That said, if the refs enforced the rules properly we probably wouldn't have needed a black card.

Of course, when a ref does enforce the rules, he's derided for being picky and not letting the play flow. It's a bit of a Hobson's choice.

Esmarelda

I think Hardy's post was in response to me suggesting that the rule should be changed from steps taken to length of time taken.

His general point isn't wrong but that doesn't mean that the rules of the game shouldn't be changed if a better way is available.

Dinny Breen

Dublin minor goalie got stung against Kildare for over carrying. Probably right by the letter of the law as he took about 6/7 steps but the penalty was literally a penalty to Kildare. How harsh is that? I always assumed it was 13 meter free in but can't ever remember a goalie getting done in the square for it.
#newbridgeornowhere

AZOffaly

A technical foul in the small square is a penalty, but not in the large square, at least as far as I know.