The official overcarrying thread

Started by highorlow, June 15, 2015, 01:11:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

magpie seanie

Quote from: tiempo on June 15, 2015, 09:16:41 PM
Quote from: magpie seanie on June 15, 2015, 03:42:26 PM
Have we ever seen anyone penalised for overcarrying in the wrong i.e. when they took 4 or less steps? Probably never happened in the history of the GAA!!!! I've said it for years  - the game would be totally different (and better in my view) if the 4 steps rule was implemented in any way close to correctly.

I saw this once in a game I played in growing up, referee was making the rules up as he went along as tends to happen.
The 4 steps rule is an enigma, if it was implemented to the letter of the law it would make the game unwatchable/ruin the game. It would fundamentally change the way the game is played, and in the interim (much like the black card) would cause absolute chaos.

I am currently coaching adult players to break the 4 steps rule. The referee has too much to monitor without counting every single step every time the ball changes possession. It's about timing, getting used to taking 7 or 8 steps as a norm and not looking guilty doing it, that is the biggest give away of all.

Players would have to change their style of play and they would. I think we'd have better, faster, more open games with less focus on maintaining possession. The battle between two players would be again to the fore.

Tactics evolve over time to counteract other tactics. I think Donegal are fascinating tactically and to my view Rory Gallagher is bringing them on exactly the same as if not better the Jimmy would have done.

armaghniac

Quote from: magpie seanie on June 16, 2015, 12:27:02 AM
Tactics evolve over time to counteract other tactics. I think Donegal are fascinating tactically and to my view Rory Gallagher is bringing them on exactly the same as if not better the Jimmy would have done.

McGuinness turned Donegal from also rans when they previously played in Crossmaglen to AI champions. Gallagher had a good platform to build on, but on recent evidence he has done a great job, Jimmy may have found it harder to vary his system.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

omaghjoe

Paddy Cunningham is the worst of the lot IMO. He over-carries when taking a bloody free!

Another thing that gets me when watching a game as a neutral is when a fella gets fouled on his third or fourth step, ref allows him to over carry then he gets fouled on his seventh or eight step does he blow him up, blow the defender up let him continue on to 12 steps? Does a foul count as a bounce in these scenarios or should he bounce immediately after he is not being fouled anymore? If so can he have to consecutive fouls? etc etc.. to  To call it a grey area would be very generous.
When watching the game as a supporter you are going equally ballistic in this scenario depending on whether you are supporter of the defenders or of the attacker

Start blowing it up I say and the players will come back into line

ON the other hand I actually think I may have a solution from the Indian support Kabaddi where the players hold their breath (or doesn't breath in at least) when in play and chants and if they stop chanting the ref blows them up. We could do the same thing, when your in possession you have to chant your teams name over and over again and when you stop its a free out.

lenny

Quote from: armaghniac on June 16, 2015, 12:46:18 AM

McGuinness turned Donegal from also rans when they previously played in Crossmaglen to AI champions. Gallagher had a good platform to build on, but on recent evidence he has done a great job, Jimmy may have found it harder to vary his system.

Very early days to be judging Gallagher. Wait until this season is over at least.

manfromdelmonte

between overcarrying and stealing the few metres for a free (time for the FIFA spray?)

two things that really annoy me

Lucifer

Quote from: omaghjoe on June 16, 2015, 06:41:31 AM
Paddy Cunningham is the worst of the lot IMO. He over-carries when taking a bloody free!

Another thing that gets me when watching a game as a neutral is when a fella gets fouled on his third or fourth step, ref allows him to over carry then he gets fouled on his seventh or eight step does he blow him up, blow the defender up let him continue on to 12 steps? Does a foul count as a bounce in these scenarios or should he bounce immediately after he is not being fouled anymore? If so can he have to consecutive fouls? etc etc.. to  To call it a grey area would be very generous.
When watching the game as a supporter you are going equally ballistic in this scenario depending on whether you are supporter of the defenders or of the attacker

Start blowing it up I say and the players will come back into line

ON the other hand I actually think I may have a solution from the Indian support Kabaddi where the players hold their breath (or doesn't breath in at least) when in play and chants and if they stop chanting the ref blows them up. We could do the same thing, when your in possession you have to chant your teams name over and over again and when you stop its a free out.

Sounds like you'd be short of breath pretty quickly due to whatever you are smoking!

tiempo

Have we ever seen anyone penalised for overcarrying in the wrong i.e. when they took 4 or less steps? Probably never happened in the history of the GAA!!!! I've said it for years  - the game would be totally different (and better in my view) if the 4 steps rule was implemented in any way close to correctly.

I saw this once in a game I played in growing up, referee was making the rules up as he went along as tends to happen.
The 4 steps rule is an enigma, if it was implemented to the letter of the law it would make the game unwatchable/ruin the game. It would fundamentally change the way the game is played, and in the interim (much like the black card) would cause absolute chaos.

I am currently coaching adult players to break the 4 steps rule. The referee has too much to monitor without counting every single step every time the ball changes possession. It's about timing, getting used to taking 7 or 8 steps as a norm and not looking guilty doing it, that is the biggest give away of all.

Players would have to change their style of play and they would. I think we'd have better, faster, more open games with less focus on maintaining possession. The battle between two players would be again to the fore. Tactics evolve over time to counteract other tactics. I think Donegal are fascinating tactically and to my view Rory Gallagher is bringing them on exactly the same as if not better the Jimmy would have done.

I'll tell you what we would have as only last week I saw a ref implement the 4 steps rule very strictly.
Free kick after free kick after free kick...
4 steps is actually not an adequate allowance to play the game effectively and it would especially not deliver the benefits you suggest.

AZOffaly

I actually think you'd have less 1 on 1 battles, and more quick passing through the hands. If you think about the one v one stuff, it's usually a ball into a forward, who comes out, turns and takes the man on. That's where the steps are commonly seen.

johnneycool

Quote from: tiempo on June 16, 2015, 11:02:28 AM

Players would have to change their style of play and they would. I think we'd have better, faster, more open games with less focus on maintaining possession. The battle between two players would be again to the fore. Tactics evolve over time to counteract other tactics. I think Donegal are fascinating tactically and to my view Rory Gallagher is bringing them on exactly the same as if not better the Jimmy would have done.

I'll tell you what we would have as only last week I saw a ref implement the 4 steps rule very strictly.
Free kick after free kick after free kick...

4 steps is actually not an adequate allowance to play the game effectively and it would especially not deliver the benefits you suggest.

Until players know they're not going to get away with the 5th, 6th or 7th step then yes you'll get the free fest. Players and managers will learn to adapt accordingly, but then that old fly in the ointment is consistency of referees, if some blow for it and some don't, then you're left with the mess we currently see.

Jinxy

If a fella looks like he's about to kick the ball, or he has mastered the Alan Brogan '10-step hop', he can saunter along to his hearts content.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Milltown Row2

As a defender it was always the forward getting the extra steps.... I used to shout out the steps before making the challenge for the ball... Hoping the referee heard. Never made a blind bitta difference... Extra steps have always favoured the attacker, as I found out when I got older and played up front  ;D....

As a referee I'm a 4 seconds type referee... As opposed to four steps, slight disadvantage on the vertically challenged type player (me)
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

waterfordlad

Yeah a forward bearing down on goal is rarely pulled up for too many steps but a player catching the ball in middle of the field who twist and turns with 4 or 5 lads hanging out of him is often penalised.

BennyHarp

I'd give players 5 steps and clamp down on it. I'd also only allow a closed fist handpass - another bug bear of mine!
That was never a square ball!!

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: BennyHarp on June 17, 2015, 08:35:23 AM
I'd give players 5 steps and clamp down on it. I'd also only allow a closed fist handpass - another bug bear of mine!

Id probably agree with that.
Extend it to 5 steps and actually inforce it.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

Esmarelda

Doesn't anyone agree that it should be based on the length of time the ball is held rather than the number of steps.

When a player is bottled up by a swarm of player tackling him, the ref has to judge the time it would take to take four steps. If a man is running at full pace it's going to take him less time to take four steps than a man walking with the ball.

Four seconds with the ball regardless of what you do would make the rule simpler in my opinion.