Armagh agin Wickla June 27th

Started by T Fearon, June 14, 2015, 10:08:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smelmoth

published teams mean feck all. You need to bring a bingo dabber and tick off the names when the real team is announced just before throw in (or on the last league game between Armagh and Donegal - after the throw in). Geezer usually makes 3 changes. You can have your guess as to which 3 from that lot will miss out.

Happy with C Rafferty at midfield. Would be wery happy for the FF line to play remotely close to the Wicklow goal. Connell has done little wrong in the chances he has had to date.

Go on Geezer - go on the attack. If you can't do it against a 4th division outfit then we will never do it and our single tactic will be well known to any further opposition.

theticklemister

mackers

Quote from: naka on June 26, 2015, 02:33:34 PM
very strange Armagh team

same forwards as last time
mc neice in goals

caolan rafferty and ethan rafferty as midfielders
andy mallon, mc keever and morgan as half backs
murray veron and sean Connell

corner backs quite small
no place for o hanlon, donaghy,harold, shields

if this team lines out we could struggle
Sean Connell isn't small???
Keep your pecker hard and your powder dry and the world will turn.

JP

Anyone got a link for the game?

Hound

tippabu

Aaron Boone

topcuppla

Oraisteach

Would someone please oil the back door at the Athletic Grounds.  It #%¥€ well nearly closed on us.

bennydorano

Definitely made hard work of things, but in reality we were a far better team, 2 poor goals from Wicklow giving them an undeserved sniff of a chance of victory. Some excellent individual performances, but the whole thing didn't function well as a team, it looks to me like a team stifled by a system of play that ultimately will fail against moderate opposition.

Fine performances by the both Grange men, Jamie, C Rafferty & Murnin. Biased and all as i am, i thought Vernon looked rock solid in the first and Deccie McKenna made a big contribution when he came on. How Tony Kernan stayed on the field as long as he did is a mystery, i was beginning to think he only took him off after realising he was actually on.

We'll need a very favourable draw to progress.

Throw ball

Quote from: bennydorano on June 27, 2015, 05:11:16 PM
Definitely made hard work of things, but in reality we were a far better team, 2 poor goals from Wicklow giving them an undeserved sniff of a chance of victory. Some excellent individual performances, but the whole thing didn't function well as a team, it looks to me like a team stiffled by a system of play that ultimately will fail against moderate opposition.

Fine performances by the both Grange men, Jamie, C Rafferty & Murnin. Biased and all as i am, i thought Vernon looked rock solid in the first and Deccie McKenna made a big contribution when he came on. How Aaron Kernan stayed on the field as long as he did is a mystery, i was beginning to think he only took him off after realising he was actually on.

Fair enough assessment, although I feel we could have done with Aaron on. Tony had a bad outing ;D

In truth Wicklow were the second worst team Armagh played this year and they made hard work of winning. The sum is less than the parts at the minute.

Throw ball

Over 6000 in Armagh today. Good attendance for a Saturday afternoon.

Smokin Joe

Quote from: Throw ball on June 27, 2015, 05:19:09 PM
Definitely made hard work of things, but in reality we were a far better team, 2 poor goals from Wicklow giving them an undeserved sniff of a chance of victory. Some excellent individual performances, but the whole thing didn't function well as a team, it looks to me like a team stiffled by a system of play that ultimately will fail against moderate opposition.

Fine performances by the both Grange men, Jamie, C Rafferty & Murnin. Biased and all as i am, i thought Vernon looked rock solid in the first and Deccie McKenna made a big contribution when he came on. How Aaron Kernan stayed on the field as long as he did is a mystery, i was beginning to think he only took him off after realising he was actually on.

Fair enough assessment, although I feel we could have done with Aaron on. Tony had a bad outing ;D

In truth Wicklow were the second worst team Armagh played this year and they made hard work of winning. The sum is less than the parts at the minute.

We cede possession that easily that teams can take the ball to our 45 metre line and we rarely even get any contact with them.  Even mediocre teams will put us away when we are happy to concede so much field advantage.
We had two spare men dropped back in defence for Wicklow's kick outs!!!
This means the Wicklow keeper, as Durcan had, had his pick of backs to made an easy pass to.  Move after move could be built from this platform.

This seems to be part of Armagh's game plan.

T Fearon

Dire game.Joke goals given away and if Wicklow had had a bit more self belief we could have been in serious trouble.

bennydorano

Quote from: Smokin Joe on June 27, 2015, 05:31:03 PM
Quote from: Throw ball on June 27, 2015, 05:19:09 PM

We cede possession that easily that teams can take the ball to our 45 metre line and we rarely even get any contact with them.  Even mediocre teams will put us away when we are happy to concede so much field advantage.
We had two spare men dropped back in defence for Wicklow's kick outs!!!
This means the Wicklow keeper, as Durcan had, had his pick of backs to made an easy pass to.  Move after move could be built from this platform.

This seems to be part of Armagh's game plan.
Yeah, it was stick to the plan no matter what, obviously trying to get the system to become second nature. I'm sure if we'd went man to man we would have won by a larger margin but it wouldn't have prepared us for the harder battles that lie ahead - method in the turgidity.