Sligo v Roscommon. June 20th

Started by sligoman2, June 12, 2015, 03:18:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Black Mamba

Quote from: sligoman on June 22, 2015, 09:35:21 AM
Quote from: Esmarelda on June 22, 2015, 09:20:20 AM
When all the deserved back-slapping is done, is it not the case that Roscommon had a woeful day when it came to shooting?

And we're not talking about hail mary shots that shouldn't have been taken on, it was the likes of Kildbride's miss at the near post in the first half and the free that hit the post on the near side in the second.

Had Roscommon taken what they ought to have taken I think there'd be a much different conversation.

The very worrying thing for Roscommon is that they lost by 4 points despite dominating the middle of the pitch, Sligo had to revert to short kickouts in the second half which can be very attritional running the ball out from the back like that so often and any time it went long we inevitably lost the ball. There was a huge difference in the inside lines of both sides, I think that is simply down to use having better players there despite the much vaunted Roscommon "stars".
Kilbride wasn't fit to start, shouldn't have played as was evident from his performance. Nor was young Diarmuid Murtagh either from what I hear. You can't really judge our forwards from that performance if they weren't near fully fit.

Syferus

Seems mad starting two obviously injured inside towards in retrospect but with the other option at 14 (Donie Shine) already fully out Evans might have felt forced to start Kilbride. Obviously did not work and we'd have been better starting Enda Smith at 14 because he won some good balls and at least threatened to do something. I assume at least his brother will be starting the next day because he was to one providing Enda most of the good ball in the second half.

passedit

Quote from: The Black Mamba on June 22, 2015, 09:45:42 AM
Kilbride wasn't fit to start, shouldn't have played as was evident from his performance. Nor was young Diarmuid Murtagh either from what I hear. You can't really judge our forwards from that performance if they weren't near fully fit.

You can judge your manager on it though. Very poor. Showed no trust in his squad at all
Don't Panic

sligoman

When all the deserved back-slapping is done, is it not the case that Roscommon had a woeful day when it came to shooting?

And we're not talking about hail mary shots that shouldn't have been taken on, it was the likes of Kildbride's miss at the near post in the first half and the free that hit the post on the near side in the second.

Had Roscommon taken what they ought to have taken I think there'd be a much different conversation.

The very worrying thing for Roscommon is that they lost by 4 points despite dominating the middle of the pitch, Sligo had to revert to short kickouts in the second half which can be very attritional running the ball out from the back like that so often and any time it went long we inevitably lost the ball. There was a huge difference in the inside lines of both sides, I think that is simply down to use having better players there despite the much vaunted Roscommon "stars".
Maybe they weren't.

They haven't established themselves at senior level though, in Murtagh's case age would be the reason but Kilbride has never done it in the Championship. At the moment for all the talk about Roscommon, there is very little proven quality in that side, of the young players that have stepped up I would say only Smith seems to be at the level a lot of Roscommon players think these players are at. They're not for the scrap heap and have plenty of time to prove people wrong but I think it's evidently clear now that a lot of Roscommon people have overestimated their abilities.

If you didn't have any knowledge before the game and heard that one side is bringing through some of the best youngsters in the game then you'd swear it was Sligo on Saturday's showing with the performances from McDonnell and Breheny.

highorlow

QuoteI see David Brady had a pop at Cake and Ros too. All these ex county lads on "the Twitter" could make an interesting sideshow to the championship. No doubt when Sligo and Mayo fall flat on their faces the social media knifes will sharpen on the banks of the Suck.

Your another one of those daft basturds that's on here now and again. Go and get yourself a pool cue.
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

Syferus

Quote from: sligoman on June 22, 2015, 09:53:23 AM

Maybe they weren't.

They haven't established themselves at senior level though, in Murtagh's case age would be the reason but Kilbride has never done it in the Championship. At the moment for all the talk about Roscommon, there is very little proven quality in that side, of the young players that have stepped up I would say only Smith seems to be at the level a lot of Roscommon players think these players are at. They're not for the scrap heap and have plenty of time to prove people wrong but I think it's evidently clear now that a lot of Roscommon people have overestimated their abilities.

If you didn't have any knowledge before the game and heard that one side is bringing through some of the best youngsters in the game then you'd swear it was Sligo on Saturday's showing with the performances from McDonnell and Breheny.

You seem desperate to put the boot into players for playing badly in one game. I'd assume you've actually rarely seen any of them play too. Strange fixation for the team that won the match.

sligoman

Quote from: Syferus on June 22, 2015, 09:59:27 AM

Maybe they weren't.

You seem desperate to put the boot into players for playing badly in one game. I'd assume you've actually rarely seen any of them play too. Strange fixation for the team that won the match.

You've been one of the chief cheerleaders for these guys so I wouldn't be getting offended when they commented on for failing to live up to the billing you have put on them.

Esmarelda

Fitness had nothing to do with missing unchallenged shots from 20 metres.

The Black Mamba

Quote from: Esmarelda on June 22, 2015, 10:06:13 AM

Having a hamstring problem does hamper your shooting I would suspect :P

Esmarelda

Quote from: The Black Mamba on June 22, 2015, 10:09:28 AM
Quote from: Esmarelda on June 22, 2015, 10:06:13 AM

Having a hamstring problem does hamper your shooting I would suspect :P
I acknowledge your emoticon, but Kilbride managed to get the distance, just not the accuracy.

ck

To me Roscommon were simply outsmarted by Carew. His rotation of certain players was smart. Rossies were playing catch up from the get go but I can see them beating Cavan and progressing nicely through the qualifiers.

Canalman

Roscommon are always uncomfortable with the favourites tag . Trips them up nearly always.

The Black Mamba

Quote from: Canalman on June 22, 2015, 10:14:29 AM
Roscommon are always uncomfortable with the favourites tag . Trips them up nearly always.
The favourites tag and getting any sort of consistency are problems for us.

Syferus

Quote from: sligoman on June 22, 2015, 10:03:19 AM
Quote from: Syferus on June 22, 2015, 09:59:27 AM

Maybe they weren't.

You've been one of the chief cheerleaders for these guys so I wouldn't be getting offended when they commented on for failing to live up to the billing you have put on them.

The Murtaghs are two good young players who have adapted well to senior football. I don't know where you're getting the idea that I've said they're the best thing to come along in years but it certainly isn't from anything I've posted.

Rossfan

Once again we've failed miserably in Championship football against a team playing a bit of clued in focused intense football.
We seem to be stuck in League mindset and type of loose less intense stuff.
Met Strokestown man Saturday. "Never does anything in Summer" was his view on certain player(s).
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM