Sligo v Roscommon. June 20th

Started by sligoman2, June 12, 2015, 03:18:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

moysider

Quote from: weareros on June 22, 2015, 12:13:14 AM
I see David Brady had a pop at Cake and Ros too. All these ex county lads on "the Twitter" could make an interesting sideshow to the championship. No doubt when Sligo and Mayo fall flat on their faces the social media knifes will sharpen on the banks of the Suck.

Where did that come from? No need for that attitude I think.

Ros did not fall flat on their faces yesterday. They were beaten by a much better team on the day. A team that would beat them most of the time on those displays. Not like Ros didn t show up. They were aware of Sligo s form early and often and responded as best they could. But they weren t good enough.

Edit; Just had a look at Brady's tweet. A bit of a go at McStay's noble attempt to take the harm out of Cake's go at London. You need to chill a bit.

The most rampant critic I ve heard of Roscommon's performance yesterday has been the bould Cake himself. Saying Joneen needs to go on the radio. How about that.

Dinny Breen

Watching Sligo reminded me of Kildare circa 2009. Strong running game out of defence, 2-2-2 up front, plenty in to out movement with diagonal balls into the corners. Not sure why we didn't persist with it, played 6 championship games averaging 1-16 a game, including 18 points from play against Dublin in the Leinster final, had Tyrone on the ropes in the AI quarter-final as well but they closed us and the game out.

Would be worried about the patient hand-passing out of defence against Mayo, Mayo are quite a physical team and like any of the top 4 once the ball is turned over their transition to attack is rapid and they will punish Sligo.
#newbridgeornowhere

weareros

Quote from: moysider on June 22, 2015, 12:28:03 AM
I see David Brady had a pop at Cake and Ros too. All these ex county lads on "the Twitter" could make an interesting sideshow to the championship. No doubt when Sligo and Mayo fall flat on their faces the social media knifes will sharpen on the banks of the Suck.

Ros did not fall flat on their faces yesterday. They were beaten by a much better team on the day. A team that would beat them most of the time on those displays. Not like Ros didn t show up. They were aware of Sligo s form early and often and responded as best they could. But they weren t good enough.

Edit; Just had a look at Brady's tweet. A bit of a go at McStay's noble attempt to take the harm out of Cake's go at London. You need to chill a bit.

The most rampant critic I ve heard of Roscommon's performance yesterday has been the bould Cake himself. Saying Joneen needs to go on the radio. How about that.

I know we were beaten by a better team and my post on the game lauded Sligo. This post was just pointing out that there's been a lot of ridicule leveled at Roscommon by the likes of O'Hara and Brady, and plenty on here too. Plenty of bus jokes and plenty in the media with All-Ireland jibes. Some, much of it deserved. I was only pointing out that if ex-county players are having a laugh at other counties on Twitter when they lose (aping soccer stars IMO), then it's going to be two-way traffic when other teams have a bad day, as they inevitably will. Just an observation really.

Cake's been sniping at John Evans for a good while now. Disgracefully in my opinion. The social media knives from the River Suck was obviously a reference to him being from Castlerea. With a name like Moysider, I'm surprised I have to even explain.

moysider

Quote from: weareros on June 22, 2015, 01:31:02 AM

I know we were beaten by a better team and my post on the game lauded Sligo. This post was just pointing out that there's been a lot of ridicule leveled at Roscommon by the likes of O'Hara and Brady, and plenty on here too. Plenty of bus jokes and plenty in the media with All-Ireland jibes. Some, much of it deserved. I was only pointing out that if ex-county players are having a laugh at other counties on Twitter when they lose (aping soccer stars IMO), then it's going to be two-way traffic when other teams have a bad day, as they inevitably will. Just an observation really.

Cake's been sniping at John Evans for a good while now. Disgracefully in my opinion.

Brady was actually having a needle at a clubman that was trying to take the sting out of Cake's ill-judged go at London. Kudos to McStay for trying to take the harm out of Cake's ráméis. Sometimes you have to be loyal but time Cake coped on. Imo McStay should have refused to engage in that discussion and fair play to him for making a a decent shot of it. such a position to be put in!
Then there was the go at Evans. Utterly disrespectful. I'm sure he ll get his chance to manage his county. I wouldn t count on him doing better tbh. Ye Roscommon lads have to admit that that there is a problem with outside managers, with Sir John at the top of the queue. But the homespun ones were struggling too. One image that sticks in my head is '99. Sheerin and Tony Mac in charge. Both legends. A bit like this year. Mayo on the down and Roscommon on the up was the general consenus. But Ros fans were streaming out with 'Cheerios' ringing about with 5 minutes to go. Only time I remember Mayo supporters do that to anybody. I think it was because of the expectations of the general media as well as the Roscommon vibe at the time in fairness. I remember Paul Earley on tv talking up the different progress of teams at the time.
I was listening to Evan's interview on newstalk while driving to the game and he seemed grounded enough. But in hindsight maybe he realised that that things had got a bit out of hand and was trying to rein it into a 50/50 game. He said all the right things but the damage was well done - and not necessarily by him.

Syferus

Quote from: moysider on June 22, 2015, 02:11:34 AM

Cake's been sniping at John Evans for a good while now. Disgracefully in my opinion.

Brady was actually having a needle at a clubman that was trying to take the sting out of Cake's ill-judged go at London. Kudos to McStay for trying to take the harm out of Cake's ráméis. Sometimes you have to be loyal but time Cake coped on. Imo McStay should have refused to engage in that discussion and fair play to him for making a a decent shot of it. such a position to be put in!
Then there was the go at Evans. Utterly disrespectful. I'm sure he ll get his chance to manage his county. I wouldn t count on him doing better tbh. Ye Roscommon lads have to admit that that there is a problem with outside managers, with Sir John at the top of the queue. But the homespun ones were struggling too. One image that sticks in my head is '99. Sheerin and Tony Mac in charge. Both legends. A bit like this year. Mayo on the down and Roscommon on the up was the general consenus. But Ros fans were streaming out with 'Cheerios' ringing about with 5 minutes to go. Only time I remember Mayo supporters do that to anybody. I think it was because of the expectations of the general media as well as the Roscommon vibe at the time in fairness. I remember Paul Earley on tv talking up the different progress of teams at the time.
I was listening to Evan's interview on newstalk while driving to the game and he seemed grounded enough. But in hindsight maybe he realised that that things had got a bit out of hand and was trying to rein it into a 50/50 game. He said all the right things but the damage was well done - and not necessarily by him.

I don't think anyone in the county thinks Cake 'will get his chance to manage the county'. Maybe Cake will turn out to be a brilliant manager (he's managing Pearses, one of the bigger and better clubs in the county) but there's a long list of people more quailified than him. The age where being a good senior player gets you the top job is long over. He'll have to fight tooth and nail even to get on the underage management teams, teams that are usually manned by the best coaches rather than the best ex-players.

The whole AI thing is just noise. That had no effect on what happened and contending for AIs is what the ambition of any team that's in Division 1 should be. We lost because we were shite on the day. People trying to find rhyme or reason to it only need to look at our series of performances and non-performances over the entire year, even in the FBD the signs were there with our belly flop against NUIG.

We haven't been able to become consistent and it cost us big time on Saturday evening.

moysider

Quote from: Syferus on June 22, 2015, 02:43:02 AM

I don't think anyone in the county thinks Cake 'will get his chance to manage the county'. Maybe Cake will turn out to be a brilliant manager (he's managing Pearses, one of the bigger and better clubs in the county) but there's a long list of people more quailified than him. The age where being a good senior player gets you the top job is long over. He'll have to fight tooth and nail even to get on the underage management teams, teams that are usually manned by the best coaches rather than the best ex-players.

The whole AI thing is just noise. That had no effect on what happened and contending for AIs is what the ambition of any team that's in Division 1 should be. We lost because we were shite on the day. People trying to find rhyme or reason to it only need to look at our series of performances and non-performances over the entire year, even in the FBD the signs were there with our belly flop against NUIG.

We haven't been able to become consistent and it cost us big time on Saturday evening.

Can't see that tbh.
Why would ye be 'shite on the day'? Maybe ye were as good as ye were let?
The Championship is all about hitting it on the day. Why would Roscommon be shite on the day? How could that happen? Sligo have been been a good championship team for years. They ve beaten Mayo and Galway as well a few times.

Ros have put in a bigger dig at underage than Sligo but that means damn all in senior championship. Ros got promoted but Sligo had a very good finish to the league against serious teams.

Evans made a great point before the game about the expectations about Roscommon. That he d prefer that they'd arrived as a serious team before being bigged up as a big-shot contender. I was listening to this and I was impressed. I suspect he saw a train coming. But he probably hoped they would get out of it. But as regards quality Sligo are as good as Roscommon.

Syferus

Quote from: moysider on June 22, 2015, 03:26:46 AM
Quote from: Syferus on June 22, 2015, 02:43:02 AM

Can't see that tbh.
Why would ye be 'shite on the day'? Maybe ye were as good as ye were let?
The Championship is all about hitting it on the day. Why would Roscommon be shite on the day? How could that happen? Sligo have been been a good championship team for years. They ve beaten Mayo and Galway as well a few times.

Ros have put in a bigger dig at underage than Sligo but that means damn all in senior championship. Ros got promoted but Sligo had a very good finish to the league against serious teams.

Evans made a great point before the game about the expectations about Roscommon. That he d prefer that they'd arrived as a serious team before being bigged up as a big-shot contender. I was listening to this and I was impressed. I suspect he saw a train coming. But he probably hoped they would get out of it. But as regards quality Sligo are as good as Roscommon.

Sligo played well but they weren't making us kick wild ball directly to them and yards off their intended targets or make us break ball loose from Sligo players and then fail to hoover it up. It was a shite performance by us regardless of what the opposition did. It wouldn't have beaten many teams.

Esmarelda

When all the deserved back-slapping is done, is it not the case that Roscommon had a woeful day when it came to shooting?

And we're not talking about hail mary shots that shouldn't have been taken on, it was the likes of Kildbride's miss at the near post in the first half and the free that hit the post on the near side in the second.

Had Roscommon taken what they ought to have taken I think there'd be a much different conversation.

Mayo4Sam

Quote from: Syferus on June 21, 2015, 10:57:29 AM
Quote from: Itchy on June 21, 2015, 10:36:56 AM
League and championship are two different animals. Roscommon were beaten by their own arrogance which they have too much off. Manager talking about winning all Ireland's, what an idiot. Yer approach was insulting to your opponents who answered ye by kicking your arses.

Your usual garbage. We did not lose because weren't focused on Sligo - the players and the county definitely were. Kind of hope we get Cavan tomorrow's because of your ill-tempered shite.

Well there you go

Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

twohands!!!

Quote from: Esmarelda on June 22, 2015, 09:20:20 AM
When all the deserved back-slapping is done, is it not the case that Roscommon had a woeful day when it came to shooting?

And we're not talking about hail mary shots that shouldn't have been taken on, it was the likes of Kildbride's miss at the near post in the first half and the free that hit the post on the near side in the second.

Had Roscommon taken what they ought to have taken I think there'd be a much different conversation.

Also the goal chance that Roscommon missed was chronic - one of those ones where even watching the replays you still expect it to be a goal.

Roscommon turned in something around the order of about a 0/1/2 out of 10 performance. There's a world of difference in getting a win over a side who do that compared to getting a win over a side who turn in a 4/5/6 our of 10 performance.

Now Sligo worked hard and took their chances and put Rossies under reasonable pressure but I wouldnt be a bit surprised if Mayo ended up eating Sligo without salt in the final.

sligoman

Quote from: Esmarelda on June 22, 2015, 09:20:20 AM

The very worrying thing for Roscommon is that they lost by 4 points despite dominating the middle of the pitch, Sligo had to revert to short kickouts in the second half which can be very attritional running the ball out from the back like that so often and any time it went long we inevitably lost the ball. There was a huge difference in the inside lines of both sides, I think that is simply down to use having better players there despite the much vaunted Roscommon "stars".

Jinxy

Roscommon had the look of a team that had the legs run off them all week.
I know it's unlikely that happened but I can't figure out why they were so flat and listless.
Kilbride looked like he was trying to run in treacle.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Captain Obvious

Quote from: Jinxy on June 22, 2015, 09:36:24 AM
Roscommon had the look of a team that had the legs run off them all week.
I know it's unlikely that happened but I can't figure out why they were so flat and listless.
Kilbride looked like he was trying to run in treacle.

Would agree a listless performance from Roscommon and you don't win many games playing as poorly as that.

sligoman

From what I've seen of Kilbride, he is one of those winter footballers that can look very good when the ground is soft and mushy and games are flat but when it firms up and the intensity rises up he looks nowhere near up to it. He must be around the 30 mark as well now and I know he took a few years out of the county scene but he has never done it at Championship level.

Jinxy

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on June 22, 2015, 09:27:06 AM
Quote from: Syferus on June 21, 2015, 10:57:29 AM
Quote from: Itchy on June 21, 2015, 10:36:56 AM
League and championship are two different animals. Roscommon were beaten by their own arrogance which they have too much off. Manager talking about winning all Ireland's, what an idiot. Yer approach was insulting to your opponents who answered ye by kicking your arses.

Your usual garbage. We did not lose because weren't focused on Sligo - the players and the county definitely were. Kind of hope we get Cavan tomorrow's because of your ill-tempered shite.

Well there you go

It's on like

If you were any use you'd be playing.