New Car

Started by An Watcher, June 04, 2015, 05:32:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

on the sideline

Well yesterday was eventful! I took my cousin who imports cars and vans from the mainland, and who'd checked the car for me last Tuesday, back up with me as he had also seen it was in pretty Immaculate condition too. We're on the road up & get a call asking us to delay for another hour - they're busy so they say.  Now bare in mind that this car was supposed to be sitting ready for me to have collected on the Saturday. So more alarm bells as to why they're stalling.

We get there and the car is sitting parked up outside the front door of the dealership. From a distance have to say it looked class. I said nothing to the cousin, just asked him to take another quick look round it. Straight away 'What the f**k happened the bonnet?!' Looked worse with the sun shining on it.  I went in to the salesman I'd been dealing with and first thing I said was what's happened to that car from last Tuesday.  He was like what do u mean? So I told him to go and look at the bonnet. He came out looked at it and said I never asked the boys to touch the bonnet - just to touch up the two areas I had already pointed out to him the previous week. He said he couldn't explain the bonnet. My cousin says I'll explain it - it looks like a child's been let lose with a paint brush at it and made an absolute balls of it. Cue a complete change from the salesman - 'don't be coming in here starting that shit'

I said he's not starting any shit - look at it for yourself are you happy with it? Why is it patched? It was perfect, what's happened? No answers.  Manager comes out looking to know what's wrong. I point out the condition of the bonnet. He goes Awh that's the way that car came to us.  Absolute bullshit. I turned round and said I'd viewed the car on the previous Sunday, test driven it on the Monday, had the mechanic with me on Tuesday to give it a closer look and that I'd been back in on the Friday and that it was immaculate. Pointed out that my dad, cousin and the salesman I'd been with all had seen it was immaculate.  He was having none of it - you's must have missed it. Now lads the bonnet was patched in at least 10 places. I asked him did he think between the four of us that none of us would have spotted at least some of these particularly what must have been a pretty big chip considering the amount of touch up that was caked up on it. Asked him did he think we were blind? He answered you's must be!

I was like right that's fine we're away here and we turned to head. He then says well how would you's explain it? Now we had checked the bonnet paint seals round the bolts and they hadn't been broken so pretty sure the bonnet hadn't been replaced.  Cousin goes I'll tell you exactly what's happened - some of you's have had the car home and it's got chipped with loose chippings when it's been out and you's have panicked and made a balls job of trying to cover it up. Manager - no way no way noones allowed to take the cars home. Now this is where he slipped up. Cos my salesman had told me the week before how he had one of the other Mercs home for the weekend and how quick she was. But manager was being a p***k and adamant that he no one took the cars home. He then questioned my cousin why would you know much about paint or what do you paint? Cousin just straight out goes cars, vans, lorries, whatever you like, I'll even paint you a picture if you want lol he has his own engineering business so would do a lot of spraying and touch up work.  Manager didn't know what to say to him.

Anyway this has been going on an hour and he's still adamant that that this car came like that, then let's slip some of the boys in the workshop must have touched it up and has made a mess of it. He still won't admit to why it needed done.  So I told him I'm not paying the amount of money he was looking for a car that had been damaged since did agreed the deAl. He changed his tune then and goes ach we can tidy this all up and patch it in better. Told him I didn't care how well they were gonna patch it in - it didn't need touched at all when I paid the deposit and agreed the deal. Cousin goes to him what are you going to do to sort this out or we are walking.

Now this is at the front door of the dealership and everyone going in and out of it, and everyone looking round the rest of their cars and everyone using the wee shop attached next door to the garage can see and hear everything being said and you could see them all looking and listening to see what this arguement was about. So I just kept coming back to my point and made it louder and louder - the bonnet was perfect when I agreed a deal and paid my deposit and after that it had been damaged - how and why?!

At this stage he's looking rid of us cos it's not sounding good for the garage that kinda publicity. So he goes what if we get it resprayed? Spoke to my cousin and countered with - well not by the same artist who'd tried the touch up, that if it was being done it would be by someone of our choice. Manager agreed and deducted the price of a respray off the bonnet from the price. Even threw in a fill of diesel before we left.

So after that essay the bottom line is that I bought it, with the cost a respray deducted and am going to try and get it sorted now soon. Cousin has cleaned off most of the attempted touch up work and replaced it with the proper colour and made twice the job of it for now. But they never admitted it had been damaged since I'd paid the desposit, though my salesman apologised to me after for it and said he couldn't speak up against his boss or he wouldn't have been there the next day.

Now only I'd fell in love with the car I would have told her your man where to stick it, but I won't be buying from there again and if anyone else asks if he advising them to avoid.  Finished up with my cousin saying to the manager - you're a lucky man - insulting your customer and still getting a sale - cos I'd have told you there and then to go f**k yourself!

laoislad

From the Mainland? Do you live on Achill Island?
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

JimStynes

Haha I knew someone would pull him on it as soon as I started reading!

Anyone ever go England for cars? Have been keeping an eye out for something and one of my mates said about going to England. Much cheaper apparently!

on the sideline

Quote from: laoislad on August 17, 2016, 07:42:02 AM
From the Mainland? Do you live on Achill Island?
Quote from: hardstation on August 17, 2016, 07:44:12 AM
Mainland.  ::)

Lol alright fair point! From across the water.

Aristo 60

I enjoyed the story  ;D.  Anybody else have any more tales from the forecourt?

The Gs Man

Quote from: on the sideline on August 16, 2016, 11:03:01 PM
Well yesterday was eventful! I took my cousin who imports cars and vans from the mainland, and who'd checked the car for me last Tuesday, back up with me as he had also seen it was in pretty Immaculate condition too. We're on the road up & get a call asking us to delay for another hour - they're busy so they say.  Now bare in mind that this car was supposed to be sitting ready for me to have collected on the Saturday. So more alarm bells as to why they're stalling.

We get there and the car is sitting parked up outside the front door of the dealership. From a distance have to say it looked class. I said nothing to the cousin, just asked him to take another quick look round it. Straight away 'What the f**k happened the bonnet?!' Looked worse with the sun shining on it.  I went in to the salesman I'd been dealing with and first thing I said was what's happened to that car from last Tuesday.  He was like what do u mean? So I told him to go and look at the bonnet. He came out looked at it and said I never asked the boys to touch the bonnet - just to touch up the two areas I had already pointed out to him the previous week. He said he couldn't explain the bonnet. My cousin says I'll explain it - it looks like a child's been let lose with a paint brush at it and made an absolute balls of it. Cue a complete change from the salesman - 'don't be coming in here starting that shit'

I said he's not starting any shit - look at it for yourself are you happy with it? Why is it patched? It was perfect, what's happened? No answers.  Manager comes out looking to know what's wrong. I point out the condition of the bonnet. He goes Awh that's the way that car came to us.  Absolute bullshit. I turned round and said I'd viewed the car on the previous Sunday, test driven it on the Monday, had the mechanic with me on Tuesday to give it a closer look and that I'd been back in on the Friday and that it was immaculate. Pointed out that my dad, cousin and the salesman I'd been with all had seen it was immaculate.  He was having none of it - you's must have missed it. Now lads the bonnet was patched in at least 10 places. I asked him did he think between the four of us that none of us would have spotted at least some of these particularly what must have been a pretty big chip considering the amount of touch up that was caked up on it. Asked him did he think we were blind? He answered you's must be!

I was like right that's fine we're away here and we turned to head. He then says well how would you's explain it? Now we had checked the bonnet paint seals round the bolts and they hadn't been broken so pretty sure the bonnet hadn't been replaced.  Cousin goes I'll tell you exactly what's happened - some of you's have had the car home and it's got chipped with loose chippings when it's been out and you's have panicked and made a balls job of trying to cover it up. Manager - no way no way noones allowed to take the cars home. Now this is where he slipped up. Cos my salesman had told me the week before how he had one of the other Mercs home for the weekend and how quick she was. But manager was being a p***k and adamant that he no one took the cars home. He then questioned my cousin why would you know much about paint or what do you paint? Cousin just straight out goes cars, vans, lorries, whatever you like, I'll even paint you a picture if you want lol he has his own engineering business so would do a lot of spraying and touch up work.  Manager didn't know what to say to him.

Anyway this has been going on an hour and he's still adamant that that this car came like that, then let's slip some of the boys in the workshop must have touched it up and has made a mess of it. He still won't admit to why it needed done.  So I told him I'm not paying the amount of money he was looking for a car that had been damaged since did agreed the deAl. He changed his tune then and goes ach we can tidy this all up and patch it in better. Told him I didn't care how well they were gonna patch it in - it didn't need touched at all when I paid the deposit and agreed the deal. Cousin goes to him what are you going to do to sort this out or we are walking.

Now this is at the front door of the dealership and everyone going in and out of it, and everyone looking round the rest of their cars and everyone using the wee shop attached next door to the garage can see and hear everything being said and you could see them all looking and listening to see what this arguement was about. So I just kept coming back to my point and made it louder and louder - the bonnet was perfect when I agreed a deal and paid my deposit and after that it had been damaged - how and why?!

At this stage he's looking rid of us cos it's not sounding good for the garage that kinda publicity. So he goes what if we get it resprayed? Spoke to my cousin and countered with - well not by the same artist who'd tried the touch up, that if it was being done it would be by someone of our choice. Manager agreed and deducted the price of a respray off the bonnet from the price. Even threw in a fill of diesel before we left.

So after that essay the bottom line is that I bought it, with the cost a respray deducted and am going to try and get it sorted now soon. Cousin has cleaned off most of the attempted touch up work and replaced it with the proper colour and made twice the job of it for now. But they never admitted it had been damaged since I'd paid the desposit, though my salesman apologised to me after for it and said he couldn't speak up against his boss or he wouldn't have been there the next day.

Now only I'd fell in love with the car I would have told her your man where to stick it, but I won't be buying from there again and if anyone else asks if he advising them to avoid.  Finished up with my cousin saying to the manager - you're a lucky man - insulting your customer and still getting a sale - cos I'd have told you there and then to go f**k yourself!

This should be a Netflix series.
Keep 'er lit

LeoMc

Quote from: qubdub on August 15, 2016, 09:29:53 AM
It could have been on other test drives; but more importantly, an A class merc what are you thinking!?
The wife is looking at one of those at the minute. Is there an issue with them or are they just to girly for On the Sideline?

on the sideline

Quote from: The Gs Man on August 17, 2016, 11:55:11 AM
Quote from: on the sideline on August 16, 2016, 11:03:01 PM

This should be a Netflix series.

Haha I'll sell it to them - might help pay for the car :-\ lol

Hereiam

Sideline a would have walked. When you seen what they were up did you not think what else has been covered up. Now that you have bought it the first thing i would do is get a full service done on the car for piece of mind.

on the sideline

Quote from: Hereiam on August 17, 2016, 12:30:19 PM
Sideline a would have walked. When you seen what they were up did you not think what else has been covered up. Now that you have bought it the first thing i would do is get a full service done on the car for piece of mind.

It's just been through a full service back in June in a Mercedes dealership. The reports sitting in the service history book.  I know what you're saying but it's got the full service history sitting in it and all done at the same dealership. If it had been just me looking to be honest I wouldnt have even thought to look at half of the stuff in and on the car that my cousin looked at - he knows his stuff.  So from the service side of things I was happy enough.  Just need to get this bonnet resprayed, but it'll do for now.

On another note. Why do cars now come without mud flaps??? :-\

on the sideline

Quote from: hardstation on August 17, 2016, 01:00:42 PM
Just think you had a bee in your bonnet tbh.

So if you'd paid a deposit on a car or anything else and it gets damaged after you've paid it, would just say nothing then?

on the sideline

Quote from: LeoMc on August 17, 2016, 11:56:38 AM
Quote from: qubdub on August 15, 2016, 09:29:53 AM
It could have been on other test drives; but more importantly, an A class merc what are you thinking!?
The wife is looking at one of those at the minute. Is there an issue with them or are they just to girly for On the Sideline?

LeoMc it's not me who thinks they're girly!lol I think they're a class looking wee car.

AZOffaly

Quote from: on the sideline on August 17, 2016, 01:08:32 PM

So if you'd paid a deposit on a car or anything else and it gets damaged after you've paid it, would just say nothing then?

Have a think. Read it again.

laoislad

If your cousin knows so much about cars and imports them himself(from the mainland  ::) ) why didn't you just get him to get a car for you.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

on the sideline

Quote from: AZOffaly on August 17, 2016, 01:12:20 PM
Quote from: on the sideline on August 17, 2016, 01:08:32 PM

Have a think. Read it again.

Again I get what you're saying. Had they not agree to take the price of the respray out of the price that was agreed, then I wouldn't have bought the car. It's booked in for next week, so by next Wednesday it'll be good as new.

Yeah your going to say that it should be good as new now. I agree it should. It was. It will be again next week - at their expense.  Given the rest of the car was in spot on condition and given the fact I've been looking for 3 months, have viewed more than 10 of them including over in Scotland, the condition of this car both inside and out was way above any others I've seen - between scrapes that couldn't be filled in or patched, split bumpers, chunks out of dashboards, damaged alloys etc.

It was in the best condition I've seen for one of them as a used car - and will back in that condition by next week - at their expense.

Fair enough you and others may have still walked away at that - but I'm happy enough that that's what's going to happen.  In an ideal world it shouldn't have to I know.  Above all I like the car.