Kildare v Laois Saturday, June 6, 2015 at 7:00pm

Started by Dinny Breen, June 02, 2015, 11:59:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Donnellys Hollow

Callaghan was as good a half forward as there was in the country for a few years but he's a shadow of that player now after his injury problems.

Smith like Kavanagh before him is capable of shooting the lights out on his day but is very inconsistent.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

Dinny Breen

Natural forwards? Just another bullshit cliche that Kildare seem to get hammered with, amazing how some counties have a genetic disposition that means they can't produce "natural forwards", what does that even mean?

Niall Kelly, Fionn Dowling, Podge Fogarty and Darroch Mulhall are all two footed young forwards that Jason Ryan is failing to develop, another Neil Flynn star in u21 final against Dublin is not involved, another Daniel Flynn is going to America. Those 6 have as much and more probably more potential than those 4 you listed above. Eoghan O'Flaherty, Eamon O'Callaghan, Paidi O'Neill and Alan Smith are all inter-county standard forwards and yet all are playing below their own standard.

So to try and excuse Jason Ryan and say he doesn't have the forwards in bullshit, he actual has more options than McGeeney, Kildare have a lot of external problems but quite frankly Jason Ryan is a shit coach, as far as I can see Wexford did well in spite of him. Everytime he opens his mouth I cringe.

Quote from: rodney trotter on June 02, 2015, 03:31:32 PM

Johnny Doyle was  class, and that's who kildare really relied on for a long time. Ryan wasn't helped by him retiring in his first year in charge.

Why do you think he retired? Players don't suffer fools gladly, just check out Kildare's "retirements" over the last 2 years.
#newbridgeornowhere

AZOffaly

That escalated quickly. From

QuoteRyan had some decent Championship performances with Wexford but his league campaigns were nothing special. His star is probably somewhat over inflated.

to

QuoteSo to try and excuse Jason Ryan and say he doesn't have the forwards in bullshit, he actual has more options than McGeeney, Kildare have a lot of external problems but quite frankly Jason Ryan is a shit coach, as far as I can see Wexford did well in spite of him. Everytime he opens his mouth I cringe.

:) Welcome back!

Dinny Breen

Quote from: AZOffaly on June 02, 2015, 04:04:05 PM
That escalated quickly. From

QuoteRyan had some decent Championship performances with Wexford but his league campaigns were nothing special. His star is probably somewhat over inflated.

to

QuoteSo to try and excuse Jason Ryan and say he doesn't have the forwards in bullshit, he actual has more options than McGeeney, Kildare have a lot of external problems but quite frankly Jason Ryan is a shit coach, as far as I can see Wexford did well in spite of him. Everytime he opens his mouth I cringe.

:) Welcome back!

;D yea I remembered diplomacy doesn't work around here.

Can't think of one single player Ryan has improved in 2 years.
#newbridgeornowhere

mackers

I'm very interested in your comments Dinny.  I've a brother (an Armagh man) who lives in Clane and he took some serious ear bashings from the locals about Geezer over the last couple of years of his tenure.  Is it fair to say that the Kildare supporters now regret letting Geezer go?
Keep your pecker hard and your powder dry and the world will turn.

Dinny Breen

Quote from: mackers on June 02, 2015, 04:13:38 PM
I'm very interested in your comments Dinny.  I've a brother (an Armagh man) who lives in Clane and he took some serious ear bashings from the locals about Geezer over the last couple of years of his tenure.  Is it fair to say that the Kildare supporters now regret letting Geezer go?

I can't speak for Kildare supporters, but Geezers leaving is still a serious bone of contention for many, certainly the manner of it. The problem with Geezer was that he was becoming more and more controlling and the clubs were not just losing access to Kildare seniors but also access to Kildare Juniors. The KCB were unable/unwilling to reconcile the differences between Kildare management and the clubs so when it went to vote Geezer was gone.

What no one could envisage is that how one man leaving could have such a detrimental affect on Kildare football, I always though McGeeney's legacy would be the structures and culture he had created however in 2 years it looks like an incompetent CB and a bluffer for a manager have destroyed that.

#newbridgeornowhere

Donnellys Hollow

If McGeeney had been a bit less stubborn in his pursuit of Seanie Johnston there's every chance he would still be here. The plug should have been pulled on that particular project long before the summer of 2012. It was the breaking point for a lot of people who would have previously been supportive.

Jinxy

Quote from: laoislad on June 02, 2015, 12:46:40 PM
Looking forward to this.
Big weekend for Laois as we also play the Biffos in hurling.
It could be the best of weekends..it could be the worst...

It's that time of year to get our impressive cocks out and show them off.....

The Land of the Horse versus the Home of the c**k.
It's a match made in heaven.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

heffo

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on June 02, 2015, 04:38:02 PM
If McGeeney had been a bit less stubborn in his pursuit of Seanie Johnston there's every chance he would still be here. The plug should have been pulled on that particular project long before the summer of 2012. It was the breaking point for a lot of people who would have previously been supportive.

Were the overwhelming majority of Kildare supporters not in favour of Seanie's move though?

I remember reading the Kildare forum at the time and not withstanding some poster claiming the KCB should go to the DRA as I had knowledge of the in's and out's, most wanted his transfer to go through?

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: heffo on June 02, 2015, 04:47:55 PM

Were the overwhelming majority of Kildare supporters not in favour of Seanie's move though?

I remember reading the Kildare forum at the time and not withstanding some poster claiming the KCB should go to the DRA as I had knowledge of the in's and out's, most wanted his transfer to go through?

Is the sample of the Kildare forum an accurate representation of the club delegates who make up the county board though?

Ultimately they were the people who decided whether the manager was kept on or not and a lot of 'club men' in Kildare were deeply unhappy with how that affair played out.

If it was up to the supporters I've no doubt he would have been ratified for another year. Club Kildare lobbied to have a vote which they were denied.

heffo

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on June 02, 2015, 04:52:25 PM

Is the sample of the Kildare forum an accurate representation of the club delegates who make up the county board though?

Ultimately they were the people who decided whether the manager was kept on or not and a lot of 'club men' in Kildare were deeply unhappy with how that affair played out.

If it was up to the supporters I've no doubt he would have been ratified for another year. Club Kildare lobbied to have a vote which they were denied.

Is there a vote for a supporters club in any other county?

Esmarelda

I'm not sure how many hurling clubs there are in Kildare, but you'd have thought that anyone with any grá for the small ball game in the county would have seen the whole affair as an embarrassment.

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: heffo on June 02, 2015, 04:54:50 PM

Is there a vote for a supporters club in any other county?

I don't know to be honest:

QuoteClub Kildare reached agreement with the board and Croke Park last year over this status, and it was acknowledged as a key element of the efforts to improve the county's parlous financial situation.
It is believed that voting rights at board level may have been part of that agreement.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-football/we-deserved-vote-in-ballot-to-save-mcgeeney-club-kildare-29575899.html

Teo Lurley

What sort of team are the Kildare lads expecting to line up for this?

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: Teo Lurley on June 02, 2015, 06:01:10 PM
What sort of team are the Kildare lads expecting to line up for this?

If Peter and Niall Kelly don't start he'll probably go with Donnellan, Lyons, O'Grady, Fitzpatrick, Bolton, Conway, Doyle, Moolick, Cribbin, O'Neill, O'Flaherty, Dowling, Smith, Fogarty and Callaghan. I'd have Hyland in there and would be pushing Cribbin further forward but I don't see Ryan going that way.