FIFA Corruption arrests.

Started by topcuppla, May 27, 2015, 08:03:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Walter Cronc

Quote from: AZOffaly on June 03, 2015, 01:48:59 PM
f**king ridiculous when you think about it. How in the name of Jaysus can Qatar hope to use all those stadiums?

I think I may have read somewhere that they can get past the legacy debate by dismantling and selling off the stadiums as such.

AZOffaly

Yeah right. It was a clusterf*ck from the start. Not to mind screwing world wide calendars to accomodate it.

Bingo

f**king ridiculous when you think about it. How in the name of Jaysus can Qatar hope to use all those stadiums?

Sure half the stadiums in Brazil are already out of use, read somewhere that on was been used as a car park. Stadiums in South Africa are putting massive pressure on local and national funds from their world cup stadiums.
Even in London the main stadium for the Olympics might as well have been bulldozed and rebuilt as a football stadium, would have been cheaper.

All these global events seem to have very little legacy after them.

They should really start to look at countries that can host them with largely existing infrastructure.

AZOffaly

Exactly. These tournaments should really be rotated between countries like the USA, Japan, and various European Countries.

Walter Cronc

Quote from: Bingo on June 03, 2015, 02:06:17 PM

Sure half the stadiums in Brazil are already out of use, read somewhere that on was been used as a car park. Stadiums in South Africa are putting massive pressure on local and national funds from their world cup stadiums.
Even in London the main stadium for the Olympics might as well have been bulldozed and rebuilt as a football stadium, would have been cheaper.

All these global events seem to have very little legacy after them.

They should really start to look at countries that can host them with largely existing infrastructure.

Other than the roof on the Olympic stadium, London done pretty well. A lot of the infrastructure was either temporary (basketball arena) or could scaled down (aquatic centre).

Athens is the worst post olympics I've ever seen, but no surprise there.

muppet

Quote from: AZOffaly on June 03, 2015, 02:07:47 PM
Exactly. These tournaments should really be rotated between countries like the USA, Japan, and various European Countries.

Why should a single country host it at that? Other than the US, it would be better for groups of countries to host tournaments together. Everyone has a national stadium and maybe a few other decent ones, but for most countries building a suite of World Cup standard stadia for one tournament is just an expensive vanity project.
MWWSI 2017

AZOffaly

I suppose it makes it a bit easier for the logistics of following your team. One or two neighbouring countries that are fairly small wouldn't be a major issue, but something like a Western Europe world Cup would involve a lot of travelling. (The US falls into this trap actually).

muppet

Quote from: AZOffaly on June 03, 2015, 02:33:50 PM
I suppose it makes it a bit easier for the logistics of following your team. One or two neighbouring countries that are fairly small wouldn't be a major issue, but something like a Western Europe world Cup would involve a lot of travelling. (The US falls into this trap actually).

But isn't this the problem? The countries big enough to support a network of giant stadia, have to be giants themselves.
MWWSI 2017

AZOffaly

I think the UK could host a world cup. As could France, Germany, Italy and Spain.

Walter Cronc

I think as long as you kept it realistic a World Cup hosted by Uefa is very feasible.

Not exactly sure of the plans for future Euros when it will be spread across Europe but say 6 groups hosted by:

Group 1 - UK & Ireland
Group 2 - Scandinavia
Group 3 - Belgium, Holland, Germany
Group 4 - Portugal, Spain, France
Group 5 - Italy, Austria, Czech
Group 6 - Poland, Ukraine??, Romania

AZOffaly

Yeah, you could do it alright. I'm not sure it's really necessary though. As I said there are several countries in Europe alone that could host on their own. All you need is 10 or 12 stadia with 40k+ capacity, and a couple of those with 60k plus.

Whatever they do, they should be looking at countries, or groups of countries, where minimal work is needed on stadiums. If money has to be spent, let it be spent on infrastructure projects where the people left behind will at least benefit for the next generation.

muppet

Quote from: AZOffaly on June 03, 2015, 02:46:54 PM
I think the UK could host a world cup. As could France, Germany, Italy and Spain.

They probably could, but I can't see the rest of the world being happy playing the above or the USA every time.
MWWSI 2017

AZOffaly

Well wherever they take it, there should be a viable stadium infrastructure already in place at the time of bidding, and it should be a sustainable infrastucture, not purpose built.

Walter Cronc

So where could realistically afford to host it?

USA/Canada
Europe
China
Japan/S. Korea
India
Brazil/Argentina
Australia
Middle East (weather/war issues)

AZOffaly

It should only be in countries where kick off times in Ireland are 5pm to 9pm. :)