Galway v Mayo, CSFC May 20th

Started by Redgreenery, April 23, 2007, 06:58:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DJGaliv

Am I the only one thinking that this match will be decided on whoever comes out on top between Galway's woeful half forward line, and Mayo's dodgy half back line? Both county's weakest lines will face eachother on Sunday.

I would love to see Meehan given a go at centre forward. There are very few alternatives for Galway here. Coming up against BJP, a man who is not too experienced in this role would be ideal for him.

Meanwhile, Cliona Foley has brought the Padraig Joyce match fixing allegations back into public focus with her brilliant piece in today's independent.

QuoteMissed chances to act as spur for Galway in Connacht derby clash
Tuesday May 15th 2007

Galway's relatively clean bill of health is a far cry from their horrendous start of the year when their panel was decimated for a variety of reasons and they lost their first two National League games to Derry and Laois.

But they bounced back with two consecutive two-point victories over Armagh and Kildare respectively for a five-game Division 1B unbeaten streak before losing the league semi-final, where they conceded a penalty and were beaten by a late Padraic Joyce free.

Cliona Foley

GalwayBayBoy

This one could go any way really. If we win as much possession as we did in the league semi-final and given the fact that we're playing in Pearse then I think we could win the game by a point or two. However there's no guarantee that we'll have as much of the ball as we did in that game so it's just as easy to visualise Mayo winning by a similiar margin.

I'm a bit concerned about the state of our half-forward line. If we had Donnellan and Clancy available I'd be fairly confident of a Galway win but until I see what kind of team we're sending out I'll reserve judgement.

On paper you'd probably have a slight fancy for Mayo but Mayo don't tend to win many games on Galway soil whether it be Tuam or Pearse so it's anyone's really.

rosnarun

oirthear . for mayo to win by six points would be under performing . we tend to give galway too much respect in mayo. their performance over the last 4 years or so other than against mayo have been very poor for example should they lose sunday p forde could well be out of a job before the qualifiers. where as mayo have been winning connachts and getting to AIF on aa regular basis. by what criteria are people making it a close game other than its a local rivaly. maybe they will put it up to may like leitrim did last year but  that would be a lesson not learnd by mayo. msaybe the blueshirt has taken his eye off the ball
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

GalwayBayBoy

Quotewe tend to give galway too much respect in mayo

That'll be because of the 9 All-Ireland's then. ;)

AbbeySider

McDonald could make subs bench

15 May 2007

Hopes are rising in Mayo that Ciaran McDonald will be included in John O'Mahony's squad for Sunday's Connacht SFC opener against Galway.

The Crossmolina playmaker hasn't figured for the Westerners since last September's All-Ireland final defeat to Kerry due to a back problem, but his recent return to training with the squad has given rise to speculation that he could see action against the Tribesmen, albeit from the substitutes' bench.

"Ciaran is out with his back since Crossmolina were knocked out of the Connacht club championship last October or November," Mayo selector Tommy Lyons said.

"He was only playing then because he was getting injections to help him and he has to take a lot of credit for playing on through the pain. He hasn't played football since then and he was receiving treatment on it for months.

"He only returned to training with us in the last week or fortnight so he has a lot of work to do to get his fitness back. We'll only know if his back is up to it once he plays."

Lyons added: "We will leave it (the team selection) as long as we can because we want to give everyone as much time as possible."

MaroonAndWhite

Quote from: rosnarun on May 15, 2007, 03:29:56 PM
oirthear . for mayo to win by six points would be under performing . we tend to give galway too much respect in mayo. their performance over the last 4 years or so other than against mayo have been very poor for example should they lose sunday p forde could well be out of a job before the qualifiers. where as mayo have been winning connachts and getting to AIF on aa regular basis. by what criteria are people making it a close game other than its a local rivaly. maybe they will put it up to may like leitrim did last year but  that would be a lesson not learnd by mayo. msaybe the blueshirt has taken his eye off the ball

Mayo to win by six - fair play to ya.....its been a while since there was three points between the teams never mind six! Also, truth be told.....what does a Connacht really mean to either side at this stage? Would Mayo fans really care about another provincial title at this stage? I couldnt give a flyin shite if we never won Connacht and ended up in Croke Park in Sept. Hell, it worked for us in '01! And gettin to All Ireland Finals means little if you dont win them.......

The Real Laoislad

You'll Never Walk Alone.

GalwayBayBoy

QuoteMcDonald could make subs bench

Wouldn't surprise me in the least if he's togging out at the start. ;D

SuperSub

Redgreenery

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on May 15, 2007, 06:01:50 PM
QuoteMcDonald could make subs bench

Wouldn't surprise me in the least if he's togging out at the start. ;D
Doubt that somehow.

westmayo

Mayo beat Galway by six points 0-18 to 1-9  in McHale Park in the 04 semi-final, Marron and White. But that's neither hear nor there really. I'd say it'll come down to the wire like last year. Hopefully Mayo by 2

Redgreenery

Preview from gaa.ie:
GALWAY v MAYO
It's Connacht's greatest rivalry and it's coming your way again next Sunday when Galway and Mayo clash at Pearse Stadium. For the first time since 1998, they meet in the first round of the Connacht championship with the winners due to play Leitrim or London in the Connacht semi-final. Coincidentally, the 1998 clash (which Galway won) was John O'Mahony's first championship game as Galway manager and now Galway are the opposition as he takes charge of Mayo's first championship game in his second coming as manager.
This is the sixth year in a row that Galway and Mayo have clashed in the championship with the score standing at 3-2 to Galway from their last five. However, Mayo triumphed last year, winning by a point in the final in Castlebar and they had a similar margin to spare last month when they beat Galway (2-10 to 1-12) in the National League semi-final.

Head to Head: The Last 5 Championship clashes
2006 - Mayo  0-12 Galway 1-8 (Connacht final)
2005 - Galway  0-10 Mayo 0-8 (Connacht final)
2004 - Mayo 0-18 Galway 1-9 (Connacht semi-final)
2003 - Galway 1-14 Mayo 0-13 (Connacht final)
2002 - Galway 0-12 Mayo 1-7 (Connacht semi-final)

LAST YEAR

Galway - Played 4, Won 2, Lost 2.
Galway 0-19 Sligo 1-12
Galway 3-7 Roscommon 1-8
Mayo 0-12 Galway 1-8 (Connacht final)
Westmeath 1-8 Galway 0-10 (Qualifier - Round 4)

Mayo - Played 7, Won 5, Drew 1, Lost 1.
Mayo 1-18 London 0-8
Mayo 1-10 Leitrim 1-9
Mayo 0-12 Galway 1-8 (Connacht final)
Mayo 0-15 Laois 0-15 (All-Ireland quarter-final)
Mayo 0-14 Laois 0-11 (replay)
Mayo 1-16 Dublin 2-12
Kerry 4-15 Mayo 3-5 (All-Ireland final)

Duine Eile

Nicky Joyce a man with a great future behind him ros na run?! He's 24 at most! DJ you're very pessimistic! you're right about Meehan I think though, couldn't do any harm to give him a run at no.11. Leaving him to get roasted by Higgins for another 70mins isn't going to do him any good.

GalwayBayBoy

Wouldn't be against trying Meehan in a more central role. In reality he's a natural full-forward. He never plays as well when he's in the corner as he lacks that little burst of pace to get around a marker.

An Gaeilgoir

Just wanted to say all the best to Mayo on Sunday. Im away from tomorrow for a week.But i will be cheering our lads on in a watering hole in the south of france. Mhuigheo go deo!!!!!!