Galway v Mayo, CSFC May 20th

Started by Redgreenery, April 23, 2007, 06:58:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AMayoSheep

Any word on mcdonald and trevor mort?

Cant see mayo winning this, purely because its on in salthill....have a feeling it will be very similar to the game two years ago at the same venue.

Mayo have to give up on the short passing out of defence, its suicidal, the ball should be get in to the forwards accurate low and fast.
We do have after all have a very quick bunch of forwards akin to the way mayo played against galway, ross and tyrone back in 2004 .

Msgr. Horan

Not really looking forward to this one as the last few years the games themselves have been shite and the tension would break your back. 2004 was the last decent match between the two!!  ;D

rosnarun

QuoteMayo have to give up on the short passing out of defence
I thought sean feeny would have better things to do this week rather than undermining the new manager again
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Farrandeelin

Like ildanach I don't think I'll be able to go cos of exams in Dublin on Monday. If the stadium was built nearer the city it'd be no problem. Funny the last time, we got away handy and were home at a reasonable time in the evening.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

GalwayBayBoy

QuoteIf the stadium was built nearer the city it'd be no problem

I thought the whole problem was that it was built too close to the city.

It couldn't be much closer to the centre unless they built it in Eyre Square.

Farrandeelin

Well if there's any handy directions to the bus stations I'd welcome it very much!
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Farrandeelin on May 14, 2007, 05:47:57 PM
Well if there's any handy directions to the bus stations I'd welcome it very much!

You could probably make it from the ground to the station walking in 20 minutes.

Just follow the crowds heading back into town and they should bring you straight into Quay Street. Keep going straight onto Shop street and that brings you to the square and the station is at the bottom of the square. Piece of piss.

Just don't get caught up following the crowd heading back to the boozers in Salthill. ;D

Duine Eile

Blake supposed to be fit but Alan Burke and Paul Geraghty are now very doubtful. Team to be named Thursday night I think. Yeah Kieran Fitz is captain, probablyon the basis that he's there longer than Damien Burke. Still think it's a daft way to pick the captain.

PS:don't start the Tuam versus Salthill argument, it could get nasty! ;)

ExiledGael

Blake is almost certain to be fit according to Ford in an interview, should be a great game

Barney

Hello to all. Happy Championship Summer 2007!

Unfortunately a variety of events has conprised against me being online much the last few months, but the green and red is still draped around my shoulders as well as a JOM rosette for polling day.

Looking forward to the big clash on Sunday. Toss of a coin again I think between us two. Pity we have to meet so early (and I do think the Connacht finalists should be seeded in separate semis the following year) but that is the draw.

Great bounce back during the league but Sunday is the day the serious questions will be asked and answered. Can our back line cope with Joyce and Meehan in championship form. I don't think Kilcullen will start, and hope Liam O'Malley is fit but big test lies ahead especially if it is windy and we face a half of being bombarded.

The half-back line has not been the best either over the winter. Maradonna says we are not conceding too much, but there have been times when we have looked very vulnerable and have given away some very soft scores. I felt myself at the start of the year, and stated it here that Gardiner is not good enough to play at this level. I stick with that view and think he may be exposed again - he was exposed big time in Croke Park against Donegal in another major final and that is a serious worry. Personally i like the look of Aidan Higgins and Devenney. Big men. Tough men who will tackle. Billie Joe in the centre worries me.

It is hard to not to overstate the loss Ronan McGarrity is. Hopefully he is on the way back. We needed a fully fit Brady. Heaney had an inspirational league and will need to show that form on Sunday. Galway roasted us here in the league so somebody needs to step up to the mark. Blake is a tough cookie and a good footballer - a big loss if he is out.

Up front we needed Trevor to have a full league. I still think he should start. Conor Mortimer and Andy Moran are having good years but Alan Dillon needs to pick things up. Its also time for Aidan Kilcoyne to start at the same level as last year.

I think we may be a happier camp when the going gets tough. Maybe I'm wrong, but Galway and Forde seem to be one game away from the discontent of last year arising again. JOM has always been a lucky general and in election week he needs a boost. Is it in the stars that JOM faces Maughan in the Connacht Final? We'll see, but we may just shade this one, and either way I would not be suprised to see both teams in the quarters, but nowhere further.

ExiledGael

I'm new to this game Barney, but your name has been spoken of regularly.
Some thought you were dead!
I don't even know you but I'm glad your not, although I didn't know you were a Westerner

Redgreenery

Quote from: AMayoSheep on May 14, 2007, 04:27:25 PM
Any word on mcdonald and trevor mort?

I think T Mort will be starting as will D Brady, and McDonald could possibly be on the bench!

Good to see ya back Barney!!

Game only 6 days away now, bit nervous but I think Mayo will take it in the end by mabye a point or 2, this is the real deal now, no time for slip ups, and I dont think JOM would have time for slip ups in this game, it could well tell alot about some players, weather they are yet championship standard or not!

ludermor

welcome back barney, there sure was some rumours going round bout ya. can you confirm that you are not JOM ;)

Barney

Thanks lads. Hope none of those rumours were malicious.

I'm definitely JOM, or Sean Feeney, or any high profile GAA figure.

Mayo4Sam

Your definitely JOM & Sean Feeney, shocking stuff really barney, has charlie bird been notified?

Anayway welcome back.

Farrandeelin if you need a lift back let me know, the red dragon will be winding its way up the N5 after a bit of grub.

I'm not going to say a lot about this but i know the feeling is good in the mayo camp, and I'd expect us to win by the minimum purely on the basis that i dont think a lot has changed for this galway team from last year & mayo probably have a lot more to lose in terms of confidence.
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me