Is Nationalism on the Decline in the North?

Started by Applesisapples, May 08, 2015, 11:02:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Minder

Quote from: Minder on May 08, 2015, 09:35:15 PM
Quote from: hardstation on May 08, 2015, 09:31:09 PM
Not that it matters where I live but I wouldn't give Paul Maskey a vote if he was running against Nigel Farage.

Nor would I, as thick as a Bulls c**k

"Britain's days in Ireland are numbered, and this election proves that!" - Paul Maskey MP
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

armaghniac

Quote from: muppet on May 08, 2015, 11:55:28 PM
Your only problem is the the 26 isn't a fundamentalist Catholic regime.

It will be by the time SF gets a UI at their present rate of progress.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

omaghjoe

No little about him but what's the deal with Maskey?

omaghjoe

Anyone find it slightly bizzare that some people seem intent to ditch one abstract concept (religon) for another (nationalism)?

armaghniac

Quote from: omaghjoe on May 09, 2015, 12:37:31 AM
Anyone find it slightly bizzare that some people seem intent to ditch one abstract concept (religon) for another (nationalism)?

Both have been replaced by consumerism.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Farrandeelin

When was the last time SF actively campaigned for a UI?
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

omaghjoe

Quote from: armaghniac on May 09, 2015, 12:52:37 AM
Quote from: omaghjoe on May 09, 2015, 12:37:31 AM

Both have been replaced by consumerism.

Ha your right!

A sure harbinger of the decline of society

Previously the church was right in everything it said and done

Then came the notion of all things "Irish" were better just because they were "Irish"

Now the quest to gather material wealth supercedes them both "sure that doesn't put any more money in your pocket would you be bothered with it?"

Although I have to say the desire for a binge drinking session is still high up there on a lot of people priorities although I suppose that is a form of consumerism but at least there is a social aspect to that.....maybe there is hope for us yet!

T Fearon

I think unionism is better led than nationalism.No matter what you think of them the leaders stick rigidly to their policies and beliefs, don't give an inch (unlike nationalists who lose but convince too many people they actually won) and today the union is stronger than ever.

I think both Robinson and Nesbitt (neither of whom are OO members) are both well placed now to reach out to Catholics/nationalists of a small n,who value the economic benefits of the Union,which I believe both Robinson and Nesbitt genuinely want to do.

Applesisapples

Quote from: Ulick on May 08, 2015, 03:49:52 PM
Quote from: Applesisapples on May 08, 2015, 03:33:19 PM
I think that the Shinners have lost their way somewhat, the retention of Adams in spite of all the controversy which has tainted him of late and the insistence in promoting the likes of the Maskey's and Caral who are street wise but not very able politicians is also an issue. The Stoops are barely hanging together themselves let alone being able to get agreement with SF. A new direction is needed. I have said here before, not unlike the SNP nationalism needs to agree as a whole north and south what a UI would look like, and what protection there would be for unionists. I do think that if economically a UI made sense to many Unionists that they would vote that way.

Tony I now have reached the conclusion that an intelligent man such as yourself does not actually believe the right wing anti rights crap that you post...you are baiting us!

While I agree a new direction is needed much of what you say doesn't stand up to scrutiny.
1. Adams has effectively been gone from northern politics for years and has overseen the rise of the Party in the south.
2. Not sure which Maskey you are referring to but neither have had much of a promotion. Alex has been moved back west to make room for Mairtin O'Muilleoir (a good move) and Paul has a Westminster seat, which in SF terms isn't really a top job.
3. Caral Ni Chuilin could do better but they're not exactly bursting at the seams with experienced people in Stormont.
4. The SNP in Scotland hasn't really articulated what an independent Scotland will look like either, rather they put forward a vision or positive notion of a Scottish identity which people have bought into. It would be a waste of time and resources for SF to start putting out their all-Ireland stall for others to knock it down, and besides it's not for them to decide what a reunified state will look like.
5. The economic argument will never win Unionists over, if it did we would have had UI ten years ago.
I am not asking for a SF vision but a shared vision across nationalism.
Adams is a dose IMO and still looms large, Maria Cahill, Jean Mcconville etc...
The Maskeys both of them trot out with their ridiculous grammar/diction.
The SNP have brought on board the Irish Labour vote in Scotland...no mean feat and they have a strategy for independance albeit the detail needs firmed up.

Applesisapples

Quote from: T Fearon on May 08, 2015, 04:10:11 PM
Also if Armagh's Justin Mc Nulty had done just slightly better yesterday, Newry and Armagh would also have a Unionist MP to-day.
There in lies the nationalist problem...first item on every agenda a split. Hard as it is to take some of the shit the sinners come out with they have enough good people to take my vote. The stoops would rather see Dodds/Wellls/McCrea get a vote than a shinner. you are right on the new party/direction.

stibhan

Despite the idea that Sinn Féin have had a bad election, their percentage and overall vote total hasn't really drastically changed:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sinn_F%C3%A9in#Westminister_elections

If Sinn Féin are the largest party in the next election then they will elect the first minister and possibly finance minister. It remains to be seen whether that will or even could be the case, but it certainly has been a lingering possibility for a while. The UUP gains, and even Long's performance in East Belfast, might prove to break up a few of the unionist parties.That in itself would be a huge shot in the arm for northern nationalism.

T Fearon

I see Bernie and the anti abortion lobby in Fermanagh S Tyrone are claiming their distribution of 20,000 leaflets across the constituency helped to unseat Gildernew,in today's Irish News

Jeepers Creepers

Quote from: stibhan on May 09, 2015, 09:58:55 AM
Despite the idea that Sinn Féin have had a bad election, their percentage and overall vote total hasn't really drastically changed:

If Sinn Féin are the largest party in the next election then they will elect the first minister and possibly finance minister. It remains to be seen whether that will or even could be the case, but it certainly has been a lingering possibility for a while. The UUP gains, and even Long's performance in East Belfast, might prove to break up a few of the unionist parties.That in itself would be a huge shot in the arm for northern nationalism.

A Sinn fein finance minister!?. 1,2 skip a few 99,100

T Fearon

Things will revert to type during the next Assembly election,with DUP using the threat of SF First Minister to push the UUP back towards oblivion.

Minder

Quote from: Jeepers Creepers on May 09, 2015, 11:20:48 AM
Quote from: stibhan on May 09, 2015, 09:58:55 AM

A Sinn fein finance minister!?. 1,2 skip a few 99,100

SF would have no interest taking on Finance. The days of giveaways are over here.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"