Doire v An Dun June 7th in Celtic Park (21 years on from the El Classico.)

Started by rosskarr, May 05, 2015, 10:14:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ardtole

Was there even enough contact to drop to his hunkers. He still made a meal out of the situation and got his opponent sent off. Fitzpatricks tackle was late and clumsy, a red would have been harsh but couldnt have complained too much if he had of gone.

Mikasa

If I were a Down supporter I'd be more angry at the linesman than anyone else.

OgraAnDun

Quote from: Walter Cronc on June 10, 2015, 09:00:47 AM
Quote from: trueblue1234 on June 10, 2015, 07:57:39 AM
A bad tackle is a bad tackle. Definitely Could have been red. Diving is a different animal tho.

When did he dive? He dropped to his hunkers.

He went onto his knees and there the video stops, I didn't see the incident at the match but for all we know (unless you saw it), he could have lay down after that. Supposedly the doctor was checking him for concussion after so what else are the umpires going to think? Playacting at best if not diving.

tbrick18

Quote from: Mac hinery on June 09, 2015, 08:19:36 PM
Quote from: SHEEDY on June 09, 2015, 06:44:26 PM
Quote from: Walter Cronc on June 09, 2015, 05:24:00 PM
Quote from: trueblue1234 on June 09, 2015, 05:21:46 PM
By feigning injury or at the very least exaggerating it. 

Nonsense. Are u from Down?
which part of that statement is nonsense walter? im from down i have no problem in calling it as it is. it was blatant cheating, he feigned injury to try to get a player either booked or sent off.

I actually think you are right there.
You can see his cheek pushing backwards.
No way was it a red card (it could have been a black for cynical play but it was at least a yellow) but I honestly believe Lynn was hurt. He's not that type of player.....but to be honest up until seeing this clip I did think he'd uncharacteristically overreacted to what was an attempted push so I can understand the frustration from a Down point of view.
All in all, the ref had a shocker. However, as someone else rightly pointed out Down could have had another player sent off for a high challenge and didnt, so perhaps it evened out in that regard.
If anything though, the sending off kickstarted Down in that second half. Up until that point, Derry actually looked like they would be comfortable winners.
I believe the red card will be and should be rescinded, but lets be fair, neither team will go too far this year.

http://m.rte.ie/sport/gaa/football/2015/0607/706541-video-down-red-card-against-derry/#media

Check the video from 11 to 14 seconds and spot the thumb fishooking Enda Lynn's mouth.  It may not have been a red card offence but certainly not cheating or feigning / exaggerating an injury.   

Mikasa

Complete sour grapes after watching that. Certainly not a dive or cheating nor was it a red card. As I said, if you have any issues it should not be with Lynn or Kinsella but the linesman.

trueblue1234

After watching that again, I've no doubt it was play acting. Poor form for what was a brush of the hand. 
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

Walter Cronc

We'll have to agree to disagree on this lads.

I will say one thing though, throughout Enda's career at both club and county level he is continually targeted and never goes down looking frees or to get his man sent off.

People are entitled to their own opinions so we'll leave it there.

bannside

Three people at fault here in descending order.1. The referee for not seeing that it was a very soft red card offence. Just like the black card rule which is still there but refs never apply any more, confident refs should demand a right to waive a rule for a minor transgression. ( eg a fault yes but not a sending off. Who in the crowd would have any problem if a yellow was flashed instead?). 2. The linesman who reacted to the crowd and put pressure on the ref to do what he did. 3. Mc Govern who was taking a risk that might be punishable and in doing so put his team at a disadvantage.

Those three are much more at fault than Enda Lynn who has just received a border line dirty push off to the face. Could he have stayed up. Yes. I'd say he probably wouldn't have objected to getting McGovern a yellow and was more surprised than anyone when the red came out.

So on the list of who's to blame I personally  (as a complete neutral) place Lynn fourth in line.

trueblue1234

Quote from: bannside on June 10, 2015, 03:15:33 PM
Three people at fault here in descending order.1. The referee for not seeing that it was a very soft red card offence. Just like the black card rule which is still there but refs never apply any more, confident refs should demand a right to waive a rule for a minor transgression. ( eg a fault yes but not a sending off. Who in the crowd would have any problem if a yellow was flashed instead?). 2. The linesman who reacted to the crowd and put pressure on the ref to do what he did. 3. Mc Govern who was taking a risk that might be punishable and in doing so put his team at a disadvantage.

Those three are much more at fault than Enda Lynn who has just received a border line dirty push off to the face. Could he have stayed up. Yes. I'd say he probably wouldn't have objected to getting McGovern a yellow and was more surprised than anyone when the red came out.

So on the list of who's to blame I personally  (as a complete neutral) place Lynn fourth in line.

The bit in bold is the issue for me, and would put Lynn at the top of my list to blame. A mistake can happen by referee, linesman etc. But it was a decision by Lynn to drop down.

oakleaflad

Quote from: trueblue1234 on June 10, 2015, 03:24:48 PM

The bit in bold is the issue for me, and would put Lynn at the top of my list to blame. A mistake can happen by referee, linesman etc. But it was a decision by Lynn to drop down.
It was also a decision by McGovern. Would he not be top of your list?

In any case this was not the winning or losing of the game. From Derry's perspective they probably feel like they stopped playing after the red card and could have won by more without it.

Brick Tamlin

This was simply a 'hand-off' between opponents that you see soo many times in games. It was meant as nothing more. It wasn't a strike nor a lashing out. Lynn happened to be caught in the mouth with a slight fish hook and yes his reaction was over the top but its been made into something it really is not at this stage. Id expect McGovern's red to be overturned and everyone learn from it in future including officials. Time to move on.
Down didn't lose the game due to the sending off or in spite of the sending off but rather through inability to take their chances when they presented themselves. Down were just slightly crapper than Derry on the day.

rosskarr

It was the Derry backroom team who put the umpire under pressure
as they were on their way back to the dug-out after halftime.
   Apart from not being a red card offence,it's the length of time Lynn stays
down until the Doctor and Referee arrive. Quite pathetic and play-acting at
it's ugliest. See what sort of slaps he'll get now from Donegal or Armagh.

Walter Cronc

Quote from: Brick Tamlin on June 10, 2015, 03:35:04 PM
This was simply a 'hand-off' between opponents that you see soo many times in games. It was meant as nothing more. It wasn't a strike nor a lashing out. Lynn happened to be caught in the mouth with a slight fish hook and yes his reaction was over the top but its been made into something it really is not at this stage. Id expect McGovern's red to be overturned and everyone learn from it in future including officials. Time to move on.
Down didn't lose the game due to the sending off or in spite of the sending off but rather through inability to take their chances when they presented themselves. Down were just slightly crapper than Derry on the day.

Well said BT.

Quote from: rosskarr on June 10, 2015, 03:50:10 PM
  It was the Derry backroom team who put the umpire under pressure
as they were on their way back to the dug-out after halftime.
   Apart from not being a red card offence,it's the length of time Lynn stays
down until the Doctor and Referee arrive. Quite pathetic and play-acting at
it's ugliest. See what sort of slaps he'll get now from Donegal or Armagh.

Ooooh Enda if your reading this, time to hang up the boots!!

OgraAnDun

Quote from: oakleaflad on June 10, 2015, 03:28:11 PM

He wasn't even looking at Lynn, so it was hardly a decision to push him in the face.

trueblue1234

Quote from: oakleaflad on June 10, 2015, 03:28:11 PM

In any case this was not the winning or losing of the game. From Derry's perspective they probably feel like they stopped playing after the red card and could have won by more without it.

McGovern made a decision to push of Lynn. I've no issue with that decision. It happens 20 times a game.

I do agree it didn't lose Down the game.