Hypocrisy in action.

Started by T Fearon, May 02, 2015, 07:34:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Applesisapples

Tony you are quite entitled to your narrow interpretation of Catholic/Christian faith. What you do not have the right to do, along with your DUP/Born Again/Free P bed fellows is to determine the faith and beliefs of others. Neither do you or anyone have the right to dictate to others how they should live. You don't have the right to underpin inequality. As a Catholic/Nationalist from Portadown of a certain vintage you should no how that feels. I consider myself Catholic, I love the Church I grew up with, I have my own views on moral issues which I believe my God allows me to have and I see no contradiction in that. Where I do see contradiction is in fundamentalist views, the protection of paedophiles and the demand from clergy for respect and obedience which has not been earned. Having said that there are many clerics both Catholic and Protestant in which I see much to admire.

T Fearon

All Christians have a duty to Vote No in the forthcoming referendum,that way,regardless of the outcome,conscience is clear.It is not an act of Christian compassion to facilitate that which is sinful,as decreed by all shades of Christianity.

Oraisteach

So, if my conscience tells me that I should support same-sex marriage, a conscience that my church tells me I have an obligation to follow, what should I do?  Should I be a hypocrite and abandon my beliefs, beliefs that are informed by a God-given conscience, or should I blindly follow the dictates of an outside entity, thereby renouncing individual responsibly for the comfort of someone else doing my thinking for me.  If following my conscience is a sin, so be it, but it is a far lesser sin than relinquishing my duty to follow the moral and ethical principles that I'm expected to follow.  In short, to opt for the easy way out is to be a liar, a hypocrite, and we all know what Jesus thought about hypocrites.

And I've a pretty good idea of what Jesus would think of someone who would warehouse a child in an orphanage rather than allow him/her to enter a loving home, or what he'd think of a parent who'd disown or ostracize his own child because they were gay.

Remember, "Woe to you . . . Hypocrites! For you are like white sepulchres [whitewashed tombs], which appear beautiful outward! but are within full of dead men's bones . . . ."

muppet

Quote from: T Fearon on May 06, 2015, 06:17:10 PM
All Christians have a duty to Vote No in the forthcoming referendum,that way,regardless of the outcome,conscience is clear.It is not an act of Christian compassion to facilitate that which is sinful,as decreed by all shades of Christianity.

You speak for all shades of Christianity now? Even the shades you were demanding resign from the Catholic Church earlier?

Anyway, our superiors in Government are all telling us all to vote yes. It isn't a sin if you do something your superiors tell you to, isn't that right?
MWWSI 2017

T Fearon

The Bible and all Churches make it crystal clear that same sex relationships are wrong.Its as simple as that.Now vote yes if you want,but don't have the audacity to claim that you are driven by Christian compassion or that Christ would approve under any circumstances.

muppet

Quote from: T Fearon on May 06, 2015, 07:48:55 PM
The Bible and all Churches make it crystal clear that same sex relationships are wrong.Its as simple as that.Now vote yes if you want,but don't have the audacity to claim that you are driven by Christian compassion or that Christ would approve under any circumstances.

You are the only here with the audacity to speak for an entire battalion of religions.

And you are the only one who will speak for Christ.

But I do reckon He is far less prejudiced than you think he is. I think he would empathise with gay couples far more than you and I think he would show compassion. Of course I mean the proper meaning of compassion, not the 'repent or you will burn for eternity' stuff that somehow you seem to confuse with compassion.
MWWSI 2017

muppet

Quote from: T Fearon on May 06, 2015, 09:19:50 PM
http://www.newsletter.co.uk/news/two-of-our-bishops-should-repent-1-6727280

Could it possibly be any clearer?

34 'The Revds' want to vote No, 43 The Revds' want to vote Yes.

Crystal clear Tony.
MWWSI 2017

T Fearon

The message is clear,anyone from a Christian background voting Yes is contradicting Scripture

Maguire01

Quote from: T Fearon on May 06, 2015, 10:07:11 PM
The message is clear,anyone from a Christian background voting Yes is contradicting Scripture
We'll soon see how many Irish people care about scripture then, won't we?

Sidney

Quote from: T Fearon on May 06, 2015, 07:48:55 PM
The Bible condones rape, in fact advocates it in some sections.

If you place any store in what the Bible says, frankly, you're a fruitcake, with copious helpings of nuts on top.

armaghniac

I thought the fruits would vote yes, but not when they are baked?
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

muppet

You are not merely attacking same-sex marriage, you are attacking all homosexuality, on the dogmatic basis of a cherry-picked interpretation of The Old Testament. You are different to the other posters here advocating a No vote. Very different. You, as you have stated, would disown a gay family member. You would deny a couple that even looked gay, a room in your B&B. You are the very definition of a homophobe. But somehow that word, inappropriately used against many for simply wanting to vote No, isn't enough to describe you.

In a war, you are the sort of personality who commits the atrocities, because you are the type that protects the evil within institutions in favour of innocent victims. And worst of all, that is exactly how you want us to perceive you. You want to offend people ever more and more. This is what you bring to the internet world, and best of all, you look down on everyone else because you are certain God will reward you for all of this.

Best of luck with that.
MWWSI 2017

Sidney

Quote from: armaghniac on May 06, 2015, 11:33:00 PM
I thought the fruits would vote yes, but not when they are baked?
If that's an attempt at humour, it's a really shit one.

Ulick

Scripture? I thought you were a good God-fearing Catholic Tony - how does the Scripture fare against teachings of the Magisterium?

If it's Scripture your basing you argument on then, Mark 12:17 'Render unto Caesar' does it for me. Christians are is not being forced engage in same sex marriages (amazing how many No voters don't know this) so they have no business interfering in the affairs of a state which is duty bound to ensure all citizens are treated equally in all matters.

The state provides for your right to do, say and behave as you wish without interfering so stop grumbling when it attempts to act in the interests of other citizens.