Leitrim
7 (8.6%)

Total Members Voted: 81

Jinxy

Cregger will come good.
Form is temporary, class is permanent.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

gibbs32

Yes i got them two wrong but it was close. As for rest of my predictions to date. Fbd(win) hastings(win)u21 connaught(win) senior league 2 champions(win) promotion to division 1(win). Its not even june:)

Farrandeelin

Quote from: gibbs32 on May 25, 2015, 08:33:27 PM
Yes i got them two wrong but it was close. As for rest of my predictions to date. Fbd(win) hastings(win)u21 connaught(win) senior league 2 champions(win) promotion to division 1(win). Its not even june:)

And what are the rest of your predictions? As you say it's only June and the real stuff starts now.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

gibbs32

Farren. My prdictions/results are donegal dublin kerry roscommon province.dublin donegal final. Dubs to win. Rossies to fall short in qt.

Blowitupref

Quote from: gibbs32 on May 25, 2015, 08:33:27 PM
Where did you give these predictions? The FBD and Hastings cup was I think played before you registered here.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Rossfan

That buck is a rhubarb trolleen so pass no heed. ;)
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

gibbs32

Rossfan with custard in your mouth.

ck

What about Sligo lads? Carew doing a decent job. Won't be far away!
Galway coming again but too early yet, Mayo on the slide, Rossies talking a good game and threatening but no action yet, Leitrim in qualifiers before they started, London waiting for the next economic crash in Ireland for their annual day out.
Connacht bit of a mess really but she's wide open!

sligoman

We're just badly lacking in size. I believe we have as good as footballers as anyone else in Connacht right now but we just don't have the physicality for it. Look at the Galway game last year and the total wipe out round the middle of the field. My main worry about the Roscommon game is the size of their forward line. Cregg, Shine, Kilbride and Smith and I'd worry about the physicality in our backs to handle that.

I dread to think of what Mayo would do to us around the middle of the pitch.

sligoman

Any news on injuries? Will we be without anyone since the league campaign? Any new additions?

I think the we will Carew go with a side like the following.

1. Devaney
2. Maye 3. McDonnell 4. Donovan
10. Ewing
5. Cawley 6. Egan 7. Flanagan
8. Gilmartin 9.  C Breheny
14. Hughes 11. M Breheny 12. Murphy
13. Marren 15. Kelly

Syferus

I dunno what players you've been watching if you think most of those four are overly physical. Cregg might be the most physical but he also the smallest of the four. Enda's tall but his game has always been more about pace than power. Donie and Cregg will have to be going well in training to make the starting lineup next month too.

sligoman

They are all well over 6 ft. McDonnell would be the only back we have that is around that size. If Roscommon start launching big high balls in on that forward line then I think we are in bother.

Syferus

Quote from: sligoman on May 27, 2015, 12:35:14 PM
They are all well over 6 ft. McDonnell would be the only back we have that is around that size. If Roscommon start launching big high balls in on that forward line then I think we are in bother.

Kilbride is the only one of the four likely to be in that position. Diarmuid Murtagh playing off him inside. Donie came on as a sub and took that role for a while in the league final but usually plays 11 when starting. Cregg just drifts between the HB and FF lines - Smith is an out-and-out wing forward. Cregg would be six foot if that.

sligoman

If Evans has any sense he will start those four as it would expose a big weakness in our back line. You're being deliberately contrary here as it's not really up for discussion on who has the biggest and more physically imposing side. I would say Sligo have the smallest inter county side in the country and Roscommon should dominate the middle area and possession.  This is where Carew is going to need to do his homework and come up with a strategy to minimise damage there.

I truly believe if we can match or come close to matching Roscommon in the middle area then we will win but that will be tough.

Syferus

Quote from: sligoman on May 27, 2015, 01:02:25 PM
If Evans has any sense he will start those four as it would expose a big weakness in our back line. You're being deliberately contrary here as it's not really up for discussion on who has the biggest and more physically imposing side. I would say Sligo have the smallest inter county side in the country and Roscommon should dominate the middle area and possession.  This is where Carew is going to need to do his homework and come up with a strategy to minimise damage there.

I truly believe if we can match or come close to matching Roscommon in the middle area then we will win but that will be tough.

Cop on. I never said they weren't bigger but your idea of what those palyers do is very different to what they actually do in games are a bit off. Evans is unlikely to go beyond the one big man one small man inside FF line he has relied on through thick and thin just to try and blugeon Sligo. Sligo should have problems with Kilbride because he's a quaility FF that has more than his size going for him. Both Donie and Cregg are being pushed hard for their spots and it won't surprise any Roscommon supporters if either don't start in Sligo.

I'd expect the two players you overlooked, the Murtaghs, to have as much influence on the game as anyone you named and likely more than a few of them will have.

Our midfield isn't in the shape to dominate anyone right now. I think we can certainly win without dominating the middle. Mainly because we've got this far without dominating the middle.