Donegal v Tyrone Sun 17 May

Started by tyroneman, April 18, 2015, 07:57:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rrhf

The way Rte portray and judge our games is a disgrace. They are the problem.

Syferus

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on May 19, 2015, 11:56:42 PM
Good job this one wasn't live on the box... then again it wasn't an Ulster fixture, so the usual observations wouldn't apply, no doubt.

Glancy slams Galway cynicism

Kevin Walsh's charges committed 42 fouls during the course of the game - more than Tyrone and Donegal combined! - and former Leitrim attacker Glancy was not impressed by their cynicism...

I really don't know what I can say if you think fouling high up the field and the sledging and constant pulling and dragging in the Tyrone-Donegal are the same thing or even comparable.

imtommygunn

Quote from: rrhf on May 20, 2015, 06:31:39 AM
The way Rte portray and judge our games is a disgrace. They are the problem.

It's more a reflection on society and the need / desire to be outraged. People need something to be outraged about.

Des Cahill doesn't help at times mind you.

tonto1888

Quote from: Footie_mad on May 19, 2015, 01:56:56 PM
Quote from: A man from Down on May 19, 2015, 01:48:30 PM
Jimmy McGuinness writing today and Rory Gallagher crying about the treatment of Michael Murphy yesterday is a wee bit cringeworthy. It was clear to see the Donegal players at it on Sunday as well. I'm sure Gallagher is deflecting the negative attention away from their own players and maybe sowing a seed in referees heads for the games ahead this summer.

The bottom line is that managers actually need to admit that their own players are guilty of it too and actually try and deal with their own offenders rather than lighting the sympathy fires.  At least Sean Cavanagh came out and said that he as well as Michael Murphy were getting the treatment.

There's no place for sledging in our games but its hard to find a solution to it. Microphones at county level might work but not at club.

Can you imagine if microphones were introduced.... think about it.... being tackled etc, where would the microphone be??? Time outs to try and refix them etc. Disaster.

They've started it in rugby league and it worked alright

BennyHarp

Quote from: Syferus on May 20, 2015, 08:09:09 AM
Good job this one wasn't live on the box... then again it wasn't an Ulster fixture, so the usual observations wouldn't apply, no doubt.

Kevin Walsh's charges committed 42 fouls during the course of the game - more than Tyrone and Donegal combined! - and former Leitrim attacker Glancy was not impressed by their cynicism...

I really don't know what I can say if you think fouling high up the field and the sledging and constant pulling and dragging in the Tyrone-Donegal are the same thing or even comparable.

And what sort of fouling was occurring in the Galway game then? Was it the good wholesome fouling that we used to see in the good old days?
That was never a square ball!!

Syferus

Quote from: BennyHarp on May 20, 2015, 08:39:33 AM

And what sort of fouling was occurring in the Galway game? Was it the good wholesome fouling that we used to see in the good old days?

Aren't you the fella who tried to gloss over Tyrone players reciting opponents' girlfriends numbers? Sorry lad, some of the stuff ye do simply is beyond the pale for the rest of us.

BennyHarp

Quote from: Syferus on May 20, 2015, 08:43:12 AM
Quote from: BennyHarp on May 20, 2015, 08:39:33 AM

And what sort of fouling was occurring in the Galway game? Was it the good wholesome fouling that we used to see in the good old days?

Aren't you the fella who tried to gloss over Tyrone players reciting opponents' girlfriends numbers? Sorry lad, some of the stuff ye do simply is beyond the pale for the rest of us.

So what sort of fouling happened in the Galway game that you find acceptable?
That was never a square ball!!

Champion The Wonder Horse

Exactly the same number as Tyrone committed against Kerry in 2003.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: Champion The Wonder Horse on May 20, 2015, 09:05:27 AM

FFS!... Well if it isn't Champion the Whataboutery Champion, horse!  :P

Indeed, why restrict it to recent events, let's go back to a few more decades, eh? Perspective a hopeless casualty with some of the more purblind on this particular thread it seems -- James Glancy had the beef here, but sure shoot the messenger why don't you!
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

screenexile

What are you on about? I saw adverts on TV all week with Mickey Harte saying that in 2003 it was Tyrone who were doing all the attacking. . . . strange!!

Syferus

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on May 20, 2015, 09:49:21 AM

More like shoot the sub-text of the post in fairness.

FFS!... Well if it isn't Champion the Whataboutery Champion, horse!  :P

Indeed, why restrict it to recent events, let's go back to a few more decades, eh? Perspective a hopeless casualty with some of the more purblind on this particular thread it seems -- James Glancy had the beef here, but sure shoot the messenger why don't you!

Fear ón Srath Bán

That's right sweet suffering, a 'subtext'... for something you didn't see, but sure poor oul Connacht could never be accused of anything untoward on the field, at least not with a smidgeon of justification!

AZOffaly

Jaysus, there's so many parallel conversations here it's hard to keep up at times, especially if you go and do a bit of work or something :) I thought we were talking about the verbal abuse and annoying intimidation tactics which is in the game today, and how do you deal with it. This sideways turn into the number of fouls committed in Connacht or a big row in the North Tipp hurling championship would seem to have very little to do with that. Unless the row was caused by a lad reacting to abuse, which I would completely understand!

But the obfuscation and misdirection from the original theme of the discussion is a classic tactic. Some lads are very adept at it when they don't like what's being said. There's even a word I heard on this board to describe it, which I had never heard before and I think that in itself is telling :) It is brilliant 'whataboutery'.

screenexile

Quote from: AZOffaly on May 20, 2015, 10:39:04 AM
Jaysus, there's so many parallel conversations here it's hard to keep up at times, especially if you go and do a bit of work or something :) I thought we were talking about the verbal abuse and annoying intimidation tactics which is in the game today, and how do you deal with it. This sideways turn into the number of fouls committed in Connacht or a big row in the North Tipp hurling championship would seem to have very little to do with that. Unless the row was caused by a lad reacting to abuse, which I would completely understand!

But the obfuscation and misdirection from the original theme of the discussion is a classic tactic. Some lads are very adept at it when they don't like what's being said. There's even a word I heard on this board to describe it, which I had never heard before and I think that in itself is telling :) It is brilliant 'whataboutery'.

I enjoy a bit of auld whataboutery with the Tyronies. . . basically anything Tyrone do can be traced back to puke football, any scummy act committed by McMenamin, Sean's diving/crying, football not being invented in 2003, the time we spanked them as All Ireland Champions in 2006 at their own game!!!

It's what the GAA is all about really  ;D ;D

Fear ón Srath Bán

That's right AZ, sure there are your decent and wholesome unsavoury incidents, and your indecent and unwholesome unsavoury incidents, the latter of which apply only to Ulster apparently, where the former aren't even worth the mention, even though they might have occurred during the very same week!  :P ;)

It's all about context, and being whiter than white, etc., what with all these glass houses lying in smithereens all over bleedin' gaff! :)