Donegal v Tyrone Sun 17 May

Started by tyroneman, April 18, 2015, 07:57:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

omaghjoe

Quote from: mrdeeds on May 17, 2015, 05:43:34 PM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on May 17, 2015, 05:40:48 PM
Quote from: mrdeeds on May 17, 2015, 05:37:25 PM
Donegal's sledging is a disgrace. Gutter stuff.
Poor sensitive souls in Tyrone will be offended by that chat  ::).

Tyrone obviously do it but Mchugh was a disgrace when he came on. Should be allowed hit a lad a free box for it.

I agree, well maybe not free but if there is too much of it I am of theopinion that somethings are more important than football, same thing on the street would you let someone away with it because you were worried about a fine? I wouldn't

smelmoth

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on May 17, 2015, 06:07:27 PM
Very cynical second half by both teams. Think McQuillan got the sending offs right in that both should have gone but Cavanagh should have had a second yellow as opposed to a black card. The most annoying think about the whole thing is I reckon if both teams focused on football instead of this whole 'Ulster championship' mentality thing then they are actually two very talented teams. Too much testosterone involved this days, I wonder if teams are overdosing on whey protein or something like that?  Donegal to beat Armagh by 8 next time out
Agree. Armagh always knew Donegal would be tough. But I don't think there was anything new today to be afraid off. The quality of the man-to-man marking of the Donegal inside forwards was good today. Can Armagh match that? The lack of scorable frees conceded by Tyrone was impressive - Can Armagh match that?

Gallagher's second yellow card was one of the worst acts of stupidity I have seen on a pitch for some time.

Syferus

Quote from: From the Bunker on May 17, 2015, 05:54:14 PM
There will not be a better game in any of the other 3 Provinces this year! It may not what you necessarily want to see, but it is a sight better than the hidings you'll see in the other provinces!

Surely you've got to be winding the Ulster lads up.

naka

Quote from: Over the Bar on May 17, 2015, 05:48:14 PM
Very entertaining game in which both sides gave everything.   Well done Donegal and hands shaken at the end.  Now we'll leave the whinging to those who've never kicked a ball.   Put Up That Flag, Wild Weasel and Naka  can lead the way...
Sch now I kicked the odd ball in my time
Alas did have to retire when I got close to 40.

Thewildcat

Mark McHugh is a right little shit, he feck off to the states last year, i wonder why they brought him back on the panel all he done today was shout into players face, but i have no fear he will meet his waterloo later in the summer.

omaghjoe

Quote from: The Aristocrat on May 17, 2015, 05:53:25 PM
Quote from: straightred on May 17, 2015, 05:42:00 PM
Quote from: The Aristocrat on May 17, 2015, 05:38:14 PM
Disgusting behaviour from both teams, no sportsmanship whatsoever, bad for the game.

if you're apportioning blame then its 80:20 against Donegal imo. Horrible team with their non stop yapping and running after the ref etc. They've a tough road in ulster ahead of them and please god someone catches them out

Come on, both of them at it. Watch it back.

Not saying Tyrone werent at it and may have been worse in previous games but no doubt Donegal were at it way worse today.

As I said before a good solid box in the mouth should be delivered to anyone who is at it, it would make the offenders think twice.

ONeill

That was a great Ulster game. Not for the faint hearted. A throwback to the 80s. Justin did a brilliant job on Murphy. McShane caught in the headlights.

Great stuff.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

J70

Went pretty much as expected. Very good first half, second was a grind, and I thought we always looked like just about having enough as long as we didn't allow another goal. Similar to Kerry against us in last year's AI final - we might have nicked the draw in the end, but Kerry just about shaded it. The two sending offs were deserved, but that was not a dirty game. The mouthing has been part of it for years, and sure people were crying about the Dubs doing it four or five years ago. Christ there was even an interview a while back with Star Donaghy on his mouthing habits!
On the one hand, I'm glad we got a tough game, but on the other, we have a lot to work on, and it is possible that the age factor may be catching up with a few players. Hopefully Lacey's sabbatical helps him iron out the mistakes he made today. The game overall was quite similar to the Armagh one last year, and I would expect things to go similarly the next day. Don't think today's performance would be enough, but on the other hand, we won a tough game despite not having our scoring forwards too involved.
The half time stuff was stupid, but its a wonder it doesn't happen more often in Ballybofey with players and management from both teams stepping in each other's way to get down those narrow steps.

Captain Obvious

Senior and minor wins for Donegal against Tyrone can't ask for much more than that and both sides could retain their Ulster titles. Tyrone seniors gave a good account of themselves on the day and reaching All Ireland quarter final would be seen as a fine achievement now.

BennyHarp

Fair play to Donegal, they are just a better team than Tyrone at the minute and won as they were expected to do, possibly keeping Tyrone at arms length as they have done for 4 years. As for the mouthing, cynical play etc, ffs, it's nothing new and is always going to happen when you stick 30 men on a small field and ask them to chase a ball around for their county. Those who thrive are the truly great players - stand up Micheal Murphy, poor enough throughout, took a load of shit but stepped up and hit a few class points to win the game. Ultimately this was the difference between the teams. Plenty of positives for Tyrone, if we can continue to improve, blood a few more U21s and get a few breaks along the way, then we could be formidable enough opposition in an All Ireland quarter final. The season has just begun - bring on Leitrim!!
That was never a square ball!!

From the Bunker

Quote from: larryin89 on May 17, 2015, 06:00:26 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on May 17, 2015, 05:54:14 PM
There will not be a better game in any of the other 3 Provinces this year! It may not what you necessarily want to see, but it is a sight better than the hidings you'll see in the other provinces!

I really hope you're wrong or else we are looking at a poor championship , second half today was rubbish . Don't let high level of intensity from both the pitch and stands fool you into thinking it means there was quality football on display .

Cork v Kerry , Galway v Mayo will both be better quality games.

Last year both these games were over before half time. Hope I'm wrong as well.

Mikhailov

Quote from: BennyHarp on May 17, 2015, 06:32:34 PM
Fair play to Donegal, they are just a better team than Tyrone at the minute and won as they were expected to do, possibly keeping Tyrone at arms length as they have done for 4 years. As for the mouthing, cynical play etc, ffs, it's nothing new and is always going to happen when you stick 30 men on a small field and ask them to chase a ball around for their county. Those who thrive are the truly great players - stand up Micheal Murphy, poor enough throughout, took a load of shit but stepped up and hit a few class points to win the game. Ultimately this was the difference between the teams. Plenty of positives for Tyrone, if we can continue to improve, blood a few more U21s and get a few breaks along the way, then we could be formidable enough opposition in an All Ireland quarter final. The season has just begun - bring on Leitrim!!

Agree with Benny - we played better than expected but still fell short. Why take McAliskey off when we need scores and him flying? Thought we had a lot of good performances but ran out of ideas in 2nd half when it was needed. Qualifiers possibly better option for us anyway and we blood McGeary, Bradley and others along the way. McCurry disappointed again but he will hit 2-15 for 'dork this week when they are cruising against somebody.
Murphy proved his quality and legend status when it mattered - don't say they were only free-kicks - if we had scored ours we would have won. With limited involvement, no previous shot attempts he then hits last 3 scores of the game including 2 45's - a class act.
Think Tyrone will get to Croker for sure if we can stay injury free and with the rub of the green. Lot of spirit today which was very pleasing.

Put Up That Flag

Quote from: BennyHarp on May 17, 2015, 06:32:34 PM

Correct, the mouthing and cynical dirty play is a normal part of the game for ye, its the only way ye can win things, like the under 21, I didn't see McShane trying to decapitate anyone with his elbows today which is a change after hisunder 21 campaign

trileacman

Lads anyone who thinks sledging is a new thing in the GAA should have their heads examined. Here's 20 year old proof that it's been around donkey's year's. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=guT76kAPYs0 "Insult his grandmother"

It's not nice and something that is reprehensible but to suggest Donegal are the sole purveyors of it or that Tyrone created it before them It's been around for years. As for the "ugly scenes", yeah they're not great and Joe, Gavin Delvin and Rory Gallagher were primarily at fault, grand footballers but wouldn't have the f**king brains to light a match between the 3 of them, distinctly obvious at half-time. Again nothing to be proud of but no real digs in it all, just a load of handbags. If you want to see what ugly scenes really are look at some of the blows that go on in Rugby League or Union, the supposed dominion of the gentleman. No one bitten this year though in Ballybofey, always a positive.

Great first half, Donegal smothered it in the 2nd as is their will. McAliskey was very quiet the first half but our best player the 2nd. The Cavanaghs fought very hard in the engine room and bar the red couldn't have been faulted today. O'Neill was my MOTM, clever kick-outs with excellent saves and considering he got no help from our shocking FB line, with the exception of some nice attacking from McNamee, burnt by Paddy all too often though.

Matty led well but you always feel there was more in him, he has so much potential I sometime feel he doesn't do himself justice. Petey was excellent, best performance in a white jersey for him IMO. McNabb mixed good with bad, Tierney likewise, didn't stick a great claim. Game passed McShane by but I thought Brennan was good considering it was his debut, didn't look terribly out of place, physically less imposing than those around him but a great engine and work-rate. Should probably been subbed the last 15 when he faded.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014