Sligo v. New York Official Thread

Started by magpie seanie, April 23, 2007, 10:39:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

paddypastit

Seanie, I wasn't so much referring to judgements on my opinion as to where I was on the day - I'd hardly be a nuetral observer as to the performance of the team seeing as I was inside the wire.  As someone else said, the narrowness of the pitch didn't help us but we were always comfortable in our own minds that we would pull away in the end - last ten minute surges was something that Sligo were good at in that period (remember Galway, Tyrone and Armagh x2 in 2002), we knew NY really fancied their chances so they didn't surprise us, although a few of their boys were a bit 'over eager' - particularly on the side under the railway line. It was a great day and evening... went downhill as the night went on as mentioned earlier.  Hoep this year is as good in every respect.  Enjoy
come disagree with me on http://gushtystuppencehapenny.wordpress.com/ and spread the word

magpie seanie

Yeah Paddy, I understood that alright. Yeah, there were some great late bursts that year alright. It's been a lot of pain since.

SLIGONIAN

Seanie Question for you.. Liam Maloney contacted me about doing a feature on New York game with a Sligofan. He asked me did I know anyone going? I know you are. Would you be interested to talk to him. Instead of giving me your contact details you can email him direct at liam.maloney@sligoweekender.ie . Im not 100% sure what he wants you to do but sure it could be interesting. Let me know if you interested or not.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

magpie seanie

Sligonian - just sent you a PM there on that.

Was out in Geevagh a few weeks ago and voiced the opinion to one of the locals that I thought Sweeney wasn't the best player in his club yet he was the only one in contention for a place on the county team. I was wholeheartedly agreed with. That's a little bit like it is for me as a Coolera man looking at the county team. On current form Karol O'Neill is our best player yet his chances of starting in NY are worse than Kieran Quinn's or John McPartland's (no offence to the two lads - both good players in their own right). Very hard to predict what the team is likely to be as we can't know how the likes of Doohan, McGarty, Phillips etc are shaping up and how players are form wise. All I can report from watching my club is that Quinner has come on as the games have gone by and is is good enough form. John McP had an injury and played very little for the club but is over that now. Karol O'Neill has been simply outstading in the recent club games.

Juniors on Friday night in Boyle. I assume that none of the senior squad (that were stopped playing for thier clubs last weekend) play. :-\

SLIGONIAN

I agree. Not always the best club players get picked. We would rate peter wilson way ahead of ewen mchugh but mchugh made and started for the minors last yr at wilson exsepnse.

Quinn is sure to start in NY because of the Taylor injury. With Quinn we are alway guarntedd 100% from him so Im sure he wont let us down. ONeill I thought was outstanding against Cavan. I dont remember seeing much of him after that. Great reader of the game and great on ball.

Nobody seems to know about doohan and mcgarty. Both were subs for last 4 league games but werent used. Anyone else find this strange? J Martyn is back aswell to full fitness.

I love to know yer opinions on MCNamara at CB and S Davey at FF? I would prefer davey at no 12 like against wicklow and macca at no 15 as rover around middle. Not quite convinced hes full back to GAA mode yet. Looks uncomfortable on the ball but he was so good 2/3 yrs ago.

Buckass

Well Ny heads...any Sligo club NY players making the Ny team? Bookie here offering 2/1 about a Sligo Ny club player scoring against Sligo co. on Sunday week?Any value?

Carmen Stateside

Came across these picks of gealic park  ;) Seems to be coming along nicely :)

Bod Mor

Quote from: Carmen Stateside on May 04, 2007, 05:29:20 AM

So thats where they send all the sheep's wool off to. Someone tell them it's Sligo they're playing and not Roscommon  :P
Ó chuir mé 'mo cheann é ní stopfaidh mé choíche
Go seasfaidh mé thíos i lár Chondae Mhaigh Eo.

mannix

I think you can put the whole of the usa gaa clubs together and still they will not beat the weakest connaught counties.I lived there and played with mayo, that was 2001 and they had 2 teams going and about 35 at training, last year 4 or maybe 6 at training by the diehards and calling lads to play that were not bothered.The celtic tiger coupled with the weak dollar has laid ny low on player numbers and is unlikely to change anytime soon.
Sligo should be comfortable with the second fifteen on the field.

magpie seanie

That looks encouraging though all the lines on the pitch look like a bit of a dogs dinner.

1 week to go. Getting excited now.

Sligonian - you're going to think I'm doing this deliberately but I strongly disagree with you over Davey. He's too much of a liability (Noel O'Leary sprins to mind) to play at wing forward. He doesn't win any hard ball at all either. The only obstacle to the man being a really good FF is his own attitude. On McNamara and the CHB issue I don't really know. He's the type of fella I'd expect would have come on a good bit since the league (and got over the rustiness shown in earlier games). We know what all other players can do at CHB so I just might try McNamara there against NY to see how it goes.

Buckass

Have to agree with you Seanie re:Davey @ wing forward...had consigned the Noel O'Leary roasting to the memory section that is only accesed in times of alcohol induced depression...3 points with our lad still outside the 45! Sean's major flaw is that he insists he's a midfielder and tends to sulk when deployed elsewhere.
Don't think that McNamara is a cb but having seen the photos it looks like there'll be loads of pointers for Tommy to give him re:where to base himself!"Between the yellow semi-circle and the edge of the red square"  kind of stuff.
On the betting front 16-1 with Powers for Cponnacht which equates to 6-7 to 1 to beat Ros

SLIGONIAN

I dont know Sean but he does look like a man who hates playing FF especially with his back to goal and relying on good ball coming in. So that makes sense to me now that he prefers mf. I hate to say this to yee but the chances of him playing ff are slim after the way he played wing forward against Wicklow. The manager will find it hard to put him back there.

Also as a man who works in construction I can tell them pictures are not real. They are just graphic design pistures of what it may look like. Im sure yee know that already. ::)

Like to wish the Juniors and minors the best of luck this weekend.

baoithe

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on May 04, 2007, 12:42:58 PM
Also as a man who works in construction I can tell them pictures are not real. They are just graphic design pistures of what it may look like. Im sure yee know that already. ::)

Jeez, I think they look pretty real. I doubt if any graphic designer (if any would be employed for such a task) would have included the three hispanic guys tending to the astro-turf in any impression of the intended finished project. Similarly, if those pallets with the large sacks are to remain in the positions they are in the 'artists impression' of the finished article, O'Hara and co will have more than just the New York players to avoid!

magpie seanie

I was thinking that myself Baoithe. Reckoned I was missing something. Those sacks would contain the little rubber fibres that get spread over the suface I think.

Kevin

Seanie, I'm quite certain you are correct. The bags of recycled tires or some such thing a put out on the surface for the finishing touches. Obviously there are differences in standards of quality, but the recent artificial surfaces being put out these days are top grade. I'd be interested in what the players think (after the game).

I'd be somewhat surprised if they did not enjoy playing on it.

Best of luck to all.