All Ireland Minor Championship 2015

Started by twohands!!!, April 13, 2015, 10:25:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Insider

Far as i know the winners of Derry/Longford will play Winner of Galway/Tipperary , Winner Kildare/Cavan v Kerry/Sligo . We will give it a shot v Derry but we are likely to be without 2 of the side who beat Meath due to injuries . A lot of the panel would have been involved in club games since the Leinster final defeat and the panel only getting back together tonight ,  so there might be a few more niggles .

mylestheslasher

Quote from: Dinny Breen on July 27, 2015, 04:34:24 PM
Quote from: mylestheslasher on July 27, 2015, 03:54:44 PM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on July 27, 2015, 03:34:14 PM
Cavan wouldn't play in Croke Park seemingly. I understand why but disappointing for their players. Obviously all players want to play in CP only applies to Seniors.

I suppose, unlike the Leinster counties who are easily bought, we would like to play in a neutral venue where support levels might also be level.

You're right winning is the only thing that matters in the development of 17 year old footballers.

Ah wise up ta f**k. Ye vote to play in Croker instead of your own ground (which incidentally is a total kip to be fair) for money, not to give your players a chance of playing in Croke park. So your county board like all the other in Leinster will hand Dublin a huge advantage every year for cash. Very sporting of ye indeed.

The Cavan minor team like most others train all year with a view to winning something, not to get to see the inside of the croke park dressing room. The idea that Cavan would concede an advantage like that to Kildare is ridiculous.

Dinny Breen

You're dead right, winning is the only thing that matters, it is why they train all year just to win, I mean who cares about development when you can stick 15 players behind a ball and win a game. Just as well the Kildare under-age teams don't play in Navan ever, wouldn't be fair to have such a big advantage.
#newbridgeornowhere

thewobbler

I'm still trying to get my head around how Croke Park would be an advantage to Kildare. They've played there, what, once?

Paint as a bigger picture thing all you like, but if their bigger picture involves winning the AI, then the Cavan players are going to have to conquer the Croke experience twice in the next few months. Would it not be beneficial to get used to those surroundings in advance?

Genuinely struggling with this one. Cavan's mentors might have just pissed off a panel of players with their overthinking.

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: thewobbler on July 27, 2015, 07:33:57 PM
I'm still trying to get my head around how Croke Park would be an advantage to Kildare. They've played there, what, once?

Paint as a bigger picture thing all you like, but if their bigger picture involves winning the AI, then the Cavan players are going to have to conquer the Croke experience twice in the next few months. Would it not be beneficial to get used to those surroundings in advance?

Genuinely struggling with this one. Cavan's mentors might have just pissed off a panel of players with their overthinking.

Twice - Dublin in the semi final and Longford in the final.

Only a few left from the 2014 Leinster Final.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

mylestheslasher

Wobbler - the main reason is that Kildare want it in Croke park before their Seniors play against Kerry ensuring that their minors would have a partisan crowd backing them. If it was played in Croker ahead of say the Sligo v Tyrone match I'm sure Cavan would have no problem with that.

As for Dinnys latest stupid comment about putting 15 men behind the ball, I think you will find that this Cavan team are one of the most attacking in the competition but sure don't let facts get in the way of a boring stereotype.

Syferus

Quote from: mylestheslasher on July 27, 2015, 07:43:09 PM
Wobbler - the main reason is that Kildare want it in Croke park before their Seniors play against Kerry ensuring that their minors would have a partisan crowd backing them. If it was played in Croker ahead of say the Sligo v Tyrone match I'm sure Cavan would have no problem with that.

As for Dinnys latest stupid comment about putting 15 men behind the ball, I think you will find that this Cavan team are one of the most attacking in the competition but sure don't let facts get in the way of a boring stereotype.

A decimated Kildare support base would hardly be making much noise beyond what Cavan's excellent underage support would in a cavern the size of Croker.

Dinny Breen

Did I say Cavan put 15 men behind the ball  ::), it was to illustrate a point as regards only coaching under-age to win but then I forgot who I was talking to and why I had them on ignore.

Here's an idiots guide to under-age coaching, it should never be about winning!

Wasted guaranteed opportunity to play in Croke Park for players who may never get that opportunity all because of the fear of playing Kildare and our rabid partisan support, you must have missed seeing them down in Thurles where only 3k made the journey.
#newbridgeornowhere

Itchy

How many Cavan players will get contract offers from Kildare after the match is the big question.

Dinny Breen

Quote from: Itchy on July 27, 2015, 08:12:29 PM
How many Cavan players will get contract offers from Kildare after the match is the big question.

Will they be prepared to live in Straffon and play the odd game of hurling though?
#newbridgeornowhere

Captain Obvious

County Minors have a guaranteed opportunity to play in Croke park if they reach the semi or All Ireland final. Quarter finals in both senior and minors should be played in provincial stadiums in my opinion and you could also make a case for the provincials winners rewarded with a home game in the last eight.

Development is key for under age however winning whatever the grade is important if not why do they keep the score.

Itchy

Quote from: Dinny Breen on July 27, 2015, 08:14:40 PM

Will they be prepared to live in Straffon and play the odd game of hurling though?

I'm sure they will if there is free membership of the Kildare legendary Robot gym. It'll all have to be ironed out with the lawyers

Dinny Breen

Quote from: Itchy on July 27, 2015, 08:20:16 PM

I'm sure they will if there is free membership of the Kildare legendary Robot gym. It'll all have to be ironed out with the lawyers

Might require some surgery first but the gym can be arranged.

#newbridgeornowhere

Dinny Breen

Quote from: Captain Obvious on July 27, 2015, 08:15:46 PM
County Minors have a guaranteed opportunity to play in Croke park if they reach the semi or All Ireland final. Quarter finals in both senior and minors should be played in provincial stadiums in my opinion and you could also make a case for the provincials winners rewarded with a home game in the last eight.

Development is key for under age however winning whatever the grade is important if not why do they keep the score.

Just on this, my opinion on under-age is this - I encourage the mastery approach where qualified coaches create a climate in which players receive positive reinforcement from the coach when they (a) work hard, (b) demonstrate improvement, (c) help others learn through cooperation, and (d) believe that each player's contribution is important. These kind of climates give players the opportunity to develop the kind of intrinsic motivation to really push them and their team into higher levels. The natural side affect of this climate is winning.

The Cavan's coaches job is to prepare them and develop them for senior, if they believe playing Kildare in Navan is the best thing for their development then you have to trust them. I just don't agree with it as sometimes the extrinsic motivation of playing in CP for young players pushes them on and creates a hunger and a desire to get back there. It also creates a life-time memory which goes beyond football but that's just the romantic in me.

#newbridgeornowhere

Donnellys Hollow

There's an unopened box of Barry's teabags and an e-toll tag in the appartment. That should seal the deal.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?