All Ireland Minor Championship 2015

Started by twohands!!!, April 13, 2015, 10:25:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SLIGONIAN

Why is it no matter when beat Roscommon it's always because they were poor, it was same when we won Connacht in 07, everyone has become shite, that Roscommon were made to look poor by us is my opinion, all the tackling and blocks we put in bamboozled them so for once give us a bit of credit, this is a serious Sligo team.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

Syferus

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on July 03, 2015, 11:34:22 PM
Why is it no matter when beat Roscommon it's always because they were poor, it was same when we won Connacht in 07, everyone has become shite, that Roscommon were made to look poor by us is my opinion, all the tackling and blocks we put in bamboozled them so for once give us a bit of credit, this is a serious Sligo team.

An c'mon Sligonian. That was literally our worst performance at the grade in a decade. You saw how terrible our kick passing was. There was tactical and basic skill errors that went beyond the usual stuff you see in a losing performance. If Sligo played like we did you have been very disappointed in the performance as well.

Sligo have some serious players, McGuiness and Crawley at 13 really shone. Your midfielder Cummins was mighty with ball in hand but he and the rest of the fielders got cleaned out out for something like 50 of the 60 minutes. That's where you have a serious problem, even the backs had trouble competing in the air and it led to the two goals that almost stole it for us.

larryin89

Quote from: macdanger2 on July 03, 2015, 11:13:52 PM
Anyone have team details for Mayo?

MAYO (Connacht MFC semi-final v Galway, 4/7/2015): Patrick O'Malley (Westport); Donovan Cosgrove (Kiltimagh), Tommie Keane (Mayo Gaels), John Maughan (Castlebar Mitchels); Paul Lambert (Westport), Rhyne Collins (Castlebar Mitchels), Dylan Cannon (Breaffy); Barry Duffy (Balla, captain), David Hanley (Burrishoole); Sharoize Akram (Ballaghderreen), James Lyons (Aghamore), Ross Egan (Aghamore); Liam Byrne (Moy Davitts), James Carr (Ardagh), Gerry Canavan (Mayo Gaels). Subs: Paul Walsh (Breaffy), Cormac Reape (Knockmore), Jonathan Burke (Swinford), Darren Quinn (Garrymore), Jack Irwin (Ballina Stephenites), Oisin McLoughlin (Westport), Colm Moran (Westport), Kevin Quinn (Ballinrobe), Patrick Lenehan (Charlestown).

Taken from mayogaablog.
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

rodney trotter

A strange set up in Connacht , the way the Connacht Minor Championship is run. Connacht Minor League over in April and then Sligo play 2 games in a week. Roscommon wait till July 3rd for their first game.  Only having 5 teams doesn't help.

Obviously the Leaving Cert puts a halt to it, though its over a while at this stage

ck

Quote from: Syferus on July 03, 2015, 09:08:04 PM
Really poor performance, admittedly with a great comeback that masks that somewhat. Midfield won a mountain of balls but we never looked like scoring a point. We just couldn't kick the ball, almost everything we got to their 45 we elected to lump ball in on top an isolated player that was being double marked. Didn't look like we were reading the field well at any point. Really disjointed stuff.

I do think there are some players there that have brighter days ahead but in terms of basics something went very wrong tonight.

Sligo are good but like their seniors are non-existent in the air and it will prevent them from getting the best from that team. CK would want to temper his expectations because if they're supposed to be AI contenders there's no way we should have been anywhere near them with the performance we gave.

My prediction all year is that Sligo would be in the final shakeup, and tonight I have been proved correct as they qualified for the All Irleand quarter final at very least. My concern is that we ha a very limited manager and management team and when it comes to the very top level I'd worry if we can compete on the line when it really matters. As for talent I genuinely believe we have as good as any county in Ireland. Don't let a poor enough show tonight over Rossies fool you. We play a defensive style that isn't pretty so neither are we, but we have damn good players in most quarters.

Captain Obvious

Quote from: ck on July 04, 2015, 12:03:33 AM
Really poor performance, admittedly with a great comeback that masks that somewhat. Midfield won a mountain of balls but we never looked like scoring a point. We just couldn't kick the ball, almost everything we got to their 45 we elected to lump ball in on top an isolated player that was being double marked. Didn't look like we were reading the field well at any point. Really disjointed stuff.

I do think there are some players there that have brighter days ahead but in terms of basics something went very wrong tonight.

Sligo are good but like their seniors are non-existent in the air and it will prevent them from getting the best from that team. CK would want to temper his expectations because if they're supposed to be AI contenders there's no way we should have been anywhere near them with the performance we gave.

My prediction all year is that Sligo would be in the final shakeup, and tonight I have been proved correct as they qualified for the All Irleand quarter final at very least. My concern is that we ha a very limited manager and management team and when it comes to the very top level I'd worry if we can compete on the line when it really matters. As for talent I genuinely believe we have as good as any county in Ireland. Don't let a poor enough show tonight over Rossies fool you. We play a defensive style that isn't pretty so neither are we, but we have damn good players in most quarters.

Beating unfancied Roscommon side isn't a time to come on here and say i told you so. I would have waited till after the Connacht final and last eight if i were you.

Syferus

Quote from: ck on July 04, 2015, 12:03:33 AM

A defensive team that leaks three goals isn't going to bring you much further. Even the defenders on that Sligo team are best when they're going forward. That's the strength of that team.

macdanger2

Quote from: larryin89 on July 03, 2015, 11:48:24 PM

MAYO (Connacht MFC semi-final v Galway, 4/7/2015): Patrick O'Malley (Westport); Donovan Cosgrove (Kiltimagh), Tommie Keane (Mayo Gaels), John Maughan (Castlebar Mitchels); Paul Lambert (Westport), Rhyne Collins (Castlebar Mitchels), Dylan Cannon (Breaffy); Barry Duffy (Balla, captain), David Hanley (Burrishoole); Sharoize Akram (Ballaghderreen), James Lyons (Aghamore), Ross Egan (Aghamore); Liam Byrne (Moy Davitts), James Carr (Ardagh), Gerry Canavan (Mayo Gaels). Subs: Paul Walsh (Breaffy), Cormac Reape (Knockmore), Jonathan Burke (Swinford), Darren Quinn (Garrymore), Jack Irwin (Ballina Stephenites), Oisin McLoughlin (Westport), Colm Moran (Westport), Kevin Quinn (Ballinrobe), Patrick Lenehan (Charlestown).

Taken from mayogaablog.

Cheers Larry, nice spread of clubs there.

Must be a while since Ardagh had a county player? How long till ballina come sniffing around him??   :P

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: giveballaghback on July 03, 2015, 09:15:09 PM
Very poor standard of football from Ros minors this evening, worst performance at this level for ten years,shake up now needed for our underage structures and development squads, two poor seasons at minor level now so a freshen up and new thinking is required, skill levels were terrible and something I did not expect, could not even do the basics right, turnover after turnover.
All that said we have punched above our weight for several years and lets hope we can get back on track again.

Ara jaysus Sligo beat ye in a minor game finally. Hardly the cause for major soul searching. Can't win every year.

magpie seanie

Delighted at the result. I was stuck in work til all hours last night but the result lifted the thickness of mood considerably. Fair play to ya Sligonian - you must have had the heart pumping all the way home! I'd say the car drove itself back to north Sligo after. Whoever comes through the other side will be hard beaten but we've a good team and should fear no-one. We can do it.

The brother is home from the US for the weekend of July 17-20. How lucky!

Syferus

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on July 04, 2015, 03:27:27 AM
Quote from: giveballaghback on July 03, 2015, 09:15:09 PM
Very poor standard of football from Ros minors this evening, worst performance at this level for ten years,shake up now needed for our underage structures and development squads, two poor seasons at minor level now so a freshen up and new thinking is required, skill levels were terrible and something I did not expect, could not even do the basics right, turnover after turnover.
All that said we have punched above our weight for several years and lets hope we can get back on track again.

Ara jaysus Sligo beat ye in a minor game finally. Hardly the cause for major soul searching. Can't win every year.

He's right. This performance needs to be taken very seriously. A county of our size can't be as unprepared as we looked yesterday if we're to be competitive. It should be taken as a wake up call or else it's only going to get worse.

giveballaghback

Ye would love if we returned to our whipping boys status galwaybayboy, well that wont happen, we have structures that has served us well over the last 10 years at underage and we want that to continue, the time to do that is when it becomes obvious not 3 years down the road when all momentum has been lost,
all that is needed is a freshen up at coaching level and a couple of people to rethink structures.

cuconnacht

Quote from: macdanger2 on July 04, 2015, 01:06:19 AM

Taken from mayogaablog.

Must be a while since Ardagh had a county player? How long till ballina come sniffing around him??   :P
On now,play the ball Mac :o

Never beat the deeler

Quote from: cuconnacht on July 04, 2015, 12:49:36 PM

Taken from mayogaablog.

Macdanger, I thought you were from knockmore. Bit rich to be talking about Ardagh players!
Hasta la victoria siempre

ballinaman

Quote from: Never beat the deeler on July 04, 2015, 02:05:56 PM
Quote from: cuconnacht on July 04, 2015, 12:49:36 PM

Taken from mayogaablog.

Macdanger, I thought you were from knockmore. Bit rich to be talking about Ardagh players!
;D