WestMeath v Roscommon

Started by Shrewdness, March 30, 2015, 01:46:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syferus

Quote from: Tubberman on April 03, 2015, 03:49:48 PM
Quote from: Syferus on April 03, 2015, 03:45:50 PM
I don't buy the not wanting promotion shite. Evans had a gimme game last week and let lads who weren't getting much game-time a run. In the end that keeps the panel happy and fosters competition. He named a strong starting 15 (Higgins excepted) but the subs seemed pre-planned bar Caff who was forced into action because of a black card to Murray.

We won't miss out on promotion for lack of effort on Sunday.

How was last week a gimme!? Ye lost and could miss out on promotion.

If ye won last week, this week would be much more a gimme because you'd have pretty much guaranteed promotion, no?

Barring a hammering Evans knew going in that one win from two would likely be enough. I don't think that helped on Sunday because it meant we could just run the rule over players returning from injury rather than put on players more able to win the game on Sunday. Evans took his mulligan last week, if he was to repeat the same moves this week there will be serious questions to be answered.

If we were to beat Westmeath by five points the only thing that could stop us being promoted is Cavan going to Navan and winning by four plus. And if Down or Cavan lose even that is matterless.

seafoid

Quote from: moysider on March 31, 2015, 11:38:20 PM

Looks like ye doff the cap to Galway Sy. in fairness. Always knew that anyway. They can piss on ye and ye take it.
I ll never forget 2001. Was at the games in Tuam and Castlebar.

I remember the Tuam game because I wasn t driving and on the way up there was this unbelievably photo of Martina Hingis in Sunday Times Mag. with a bottle of champagne, running on a beach after winning the Aus Open, a few months earlier.

Ros. demolished Galway in Tuam that day.
A couple of months later ....

The thing is I remember Ros. supporters walking meekly away and being goaded from a height. I remember one young Ros lad saying 'at least we won Connacht- ye've won nothing'.
The reply was 'it s not worth a shite to ye now, is it!!'
Unfortunatley those presumptuous pricks got to see some good times.

In fairness, Moysider, Mayo and Ros both have some head stuff they have to conquer before going into matches with Galway with a clear head.
Even though Mayo have pulverised Galway in the last few encounters there is always the feeling that Galway will land Sam before Mayo do.
How to develop that sense of entitlement in Mayo is the big challenge.

Galway have been mediocre for a long while now but ros would still be in awe of us in a tight match with 5 minutes left. sports psychology is like modern pisreog. very hard to explain. I know it from the other side with the Galway hurlers.

rrhf

Call me mad but I fancy Roscomman for this.  Surely their enthusiasm has to be rewarded sometime.  This year I fancy them to win promotion to division 3. To challenge for a connaught final berth and win the connaught under 21.  There will not be a fish caught in Roscomman this year for the celebrations.. well done to the minnows.

Crete Boom

Quote from: seafoid on April 03, 2015, 04:23:32 PM

Looks like ye doff the cap to Galway Sy. in fairness. Always knew that anyway. They can piss on ye and ye take it.

I remember the Tuam game because I wasn t driving and on the way up there was this unbelievably photo of Martina Hingis in Sunday Times Mag. with a bottle of champagne, running on a beach after winning the Aus Open, a few months earlier.

The thing is I remember Ros. supporters walking meekly away and being goaded from a height. I remember one young Ros lad saying 'at least we won Connacht- ye've won nothing'.

In fairness, Moysider, Mayo and Ros both have some head stuff they have to conquer before going into matches with Galway with a clear head.
Even though Mayo have pulverised Galway in the last few encounters there is always the feeling that Galway will land Sam before Mayo do.

Galway have been mediocre for a long while now but ros would still be in awe of us in a tight match with 5 minutes left. sports psychology is like modern pisreog. very hard to explain. I know it from the other side with the Galway hurlers.

To be honest I would say there are people in Carlow who would be confident they will land Sam before Mayo do so if the Galway football supporters are holding on to this as comfort against the slide at senior level I would be worried!

Anyway back on topic is it a case of win and you are up for the Rossies or do they need other results to go their way?

Edit just spotted Syferus' post above so a five point winning margin or more should see you up or just a win if Cavan or Down lose.

Rossfan

A win for us putsus on 9. Meath on 7 play Cavan on 7.
Meath win we're up on head to head. Cavan win goes to score diff as we drew our game with them.
They are 2 points better than us at the moment.
Meanwhile Down have 8 points just to slightly complicate things.
If Ros draw with  the Westies, Cavan/Meath draw as well, Down lose and the Herrins win.....
5 teams on eight points  :D :o
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Crete Boom

Quote from: Rossfan on April 03, 2015, 05:17:39 PM
A win for us putsus on 9. Meath on 7 play Cavan on 7.
Meath win we're up on head to head. Cavan win goes to score diff as we drew our game with them.
They are 2 points better than us at the moment.
Meanwhile Down have 8 points just to slightly complicate things.
If Ros draw with  the Westies, Cavan/Meath draw as well, Down lose and the Herrins win.....
5 teams on eight points  :D :o

Thanks Rossfan , interesting to see what the CCCC would do if this happened  ;D ;D ;D.
I think you could win with a few to spare and even up that scoring diffs with Cavan although Westmeath will be fighting for their lives. Crazy division this year in fairness!!

Jinxy

As long as it doesn't come down to who has the best bus.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

giveballaghback

If its down to the bus we are a shoe in jinxy  ;D

moysider

Inai frness, Moysider, Mayo and Ros both have some head stuff they have to conquer before going into matches with Galway with a clear head.

Don t want to hijack this thread and can t speak for Rossies but Mayo do not have head stuff with Galway Seafóid.
We would usually expect to win Connacht most years - even when Galway are strong. In last 30 years Mayo would have have had more big score wins over Galway than the other way around.
A lot in depends on management and at the moment a lot of us who remember are apprehensive because last time Pateen didn t beat Galway or Ros in Championship and managed to lose to teams that condemn a Mayo team - Sligo, Westmeath and Fermanagh.
Johnno losing to Sligo and Longford had to happen before he fell on his sword.
There is that idea that Galway ( you could add likes of Down and Meath in as well) will win another AI before Mayo will because Mayo have head problems and choke. Maybe that will happen but is based on arrogance and smugness imo.
As Ros people know it is unfortunate if your 'golden age' team coincides with one of the greatest teams in history like their 70s team and Mayos of 2004/06. Not like Galway teams do well against Kerry in championship. Galway don t do well against Dublin either. Look at the teams ye beat in last 4 in 98/01. Good teams but not exactly superpowers of the game.
I can t understand why there should be any hint of psychosis in Galway hurling. The breakthrough was made in the 80s. Especially with the second team. Unfortunately that s becoming a long time ago now but I suspect that the drought since is more about management that anything else.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: moysider on April 03, 2015, 11:11:20 PM

Inai frness, Moysider, Mayo and Ros both have some head stuff they have to conquer before going into matches with Galway with a clear head.

Not like Galway teams do well against Kerry in championship.

Actually we did until recent years. Results were fairly even between us until we lost the replay of the 2000 final. Lost quite a few times to them since unfortunately. Dublin right enough we have a poor record against. We never seem to meet them when we have a really good side. Lost to them in the 63 final with a very young team that did 3 in a row straight after. Less said about 83 the better.

moysider

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on April 03, 2015, 11:26:06 PM

Not like Galway teams do well against Kerry in championship.

Actually we did until recent years. Results were fairly even between us until we lost the replay of the 2000 final. Lost quite a few times to them since unfortunately. Dublin right enough we have a poor record against. We never seem to meet them when we have a really good side. Lost to them in the 63 final with a very young team that did 3 in a row straight after. Less said about 83 the better.

I know but I was talking about more recent times. I m going back to the 70s and I cant remember Galway beating Dublin or Kerry in Championship?
Kerry had a tradition before 70s but lost finals as well but O Dwyer created a different culture altogether. Living legends that inspire and even drive on success remorselessly. Heffernan's legacy is huge as well.
In contrast Mayo - and maybe Galway as well - missed out. A strong, driven personality that can make things happen. Mayo have only ever have had 3 managers that came close to those 2. O Neill, Maughan and Horan. O Neill had to start from scratch. The other 2 just came up short unfortunately but they were not meek and their teams were not meek.

Rossfan

Meanwhile in Cusack Pk on Sunday Westmeath v Ros......
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Jinxy

Don t want to hijack this thread and can t speak for Rossies but Mayo do not have head stuff with Galway Seafóid.
We would usually expect to win Connacht most years - even when Galway are strong. In last 30 years Mayo would have have had more big score wins over Galway than the other way around.
A lot in depends on management and at the moment a lot of us who remember are apprehensive because last time Pateen didn t beat Galway or Ros in Championship and managed to lose to teams that condemn a Mayo team - Sligo, Westmeath and Fermanagh.
There is that idea that Galway ( you could add likes of Down and Meath in as well) will win another AI before Mayo will because Mayo have head problems and choke. Maybe that will happen but is based on arrogance and smugness imo.
As Ros people know it is unfortunate if your 'golden age' team coincides with one of the greatest teams in history like their 70s team and Mayos of 2004/06. Not like Galway teams do well against Kerry in championship. Galway don t do well against Dublin either. Look at the teams ye beat in last 4 in 98/01. Good teams but not exactly superpowers of the game.
I can t understand why there should be any hint of psychosis in Galway hurling. The breakthrough was made in the 80s. Especially with the second team. Unfortunately that s becoming a long time ago now but I suspect that the drought since is more about management that anything else.

Arrogance and smugness?!
You watch what you're saying about the aristocrats of gaelic football, you peasant.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Rossfan on April 04, 2015, 12:23:26 AM
Meanwhile in Cusack Pk on Sunday Westmeath v Ros......
Is just a mere sideshow to the Mayo/Galway debate ;)
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

moysider

Quote from: Jinxy on April 04, 2015, 12:34:15 AM

Arrogance and smugness?!
You watch what you're saying about the aristocrats of gaelic football, you peasant.

If I grovel, will they go easy on me?