Football

Change rules
44 (45.4%)
Leave her be
53 (54.6%)

Total Members Voted: 97

LeoMc

Quote from: Hound on April 20, 2015, 01:28:03 PM
Why on earth would anyone (outside of Ulster) want to penalise the short kickout?

Conceding short kickouts is the one downside to operating the blanket defence, in that it gives the opposition free reign to start an attack with easy possession. Forcing long kickouts would force every team to implement blanket defence as there'd be no reason to leave forwards up top!

I like the idea of a "2 pointer" point for long range efforts. Although small downside would be you'd need to draw a new arc in each half, like the basketball 3 pointer arc.

Ask Colm. Its his proposal. We are only discussing its merits and the potential side affects without dismissing it and appearing too Northern.

BluestackBoy

No easy answers by the looks of things, maybe we should just leave well enough alone & allow the game develop by itself.

Looking at the two league semis & the U21 semis we might be getting into a twist about nothing.

Yes, there are going to be games that stink the place out, but that has always been the way.
For what shall it profit a man if he gains the whole world & loses his soul.

Syferus

Quote from: BluestackBoy on April 21, 2015, 10:14:53 AM
No easy answers by the looks of things, maybe we should just leave well enough alone & allow the game develop by itself.

Looking at the two league semis & the U21 semis we might be getting into a twist about nothing.

Yes, there are going to be games that stink the place out, but that has always been the way.

I didn't see the Dublin-Tipp match but there was far too much trench warfare in Sligo to mark it out  an example of a good game.

muppet

Ok, for this week's column I have been really thinking hard about this. I want to stick rigidly to the time honoured traditions of an old fashioned knee-jerk reaction. But I also want to adhere to the media pundit school of thinking, or rather of appearing to have thought things through but not really bother my arse doing so.

So in that regard here are just five problems I think could easily be solved.

Problem: Nowadays is there is no space for forwards as teams rapidly funnel hundreds of forwards back as soon as they lose the ball. (that is about as much analysis as I could be arsed with).

Solution: Re-shape the pitch completely so that the pitch narrows to around 1.5 metres at the middle and widens out enormously near the goals. This would cause a bottleneck in midfield when teams try to funnel players back and leave loads of space for forwards in front of the goals. Trying to handpass is through such a narrow middle would be folly so teams would have to kick it long.

Problem: Some teams don't contest kickouts and many believe the art of high fielding is in terminal decline.

Solution: Further to the above solution, you could have posts at halfway, either side of the narrowest 1.5 metre wide part of the pitch. Any kickout that passes through the posts would be awarded 1/⑂ points. (No I don't know either but it looks like I thought about it a lot).

Problem: The are so many meaningless and one-sided games in the Provinces and the competition only really starts at the semi-final stage.

Solution: Provincial Champions play all matches with a man less the following year. All-Ireland Finalists play with 2 men less and All-Ireland Champions play with 4 men less. All except for Meath, who traditionally play better with less men, so they play with an extra man when they win a title.

Problem: Officiating at games has been in decline. Many believe the increased fitness of the players is a big part of the problem. (Again that is about as much analysis as I will bother with).

Solution: All officials will be required to use Segways in the Championship, including umpires. Training in the use of Segways should commence immediately. Each Segway will be modified to include large indicators for yellow, black and red cards and should have the capacity to be modified for any absurd cards that may be introduced in the future. The Segway should also have massive 150dB horns, to help officials break up schemozzles and to waken crowds put to sleep by any blanket defences.
MWWSI 2017

BluestackBoy

Quote from: Syferus on April 21, 2015, 10:20:04 AM

I didn't see the Dublin-Tipp match but there was far too much trench warfare in Sligo to mark it out  an example of a good game.
Going to be hard to take trench warfare out of Gaelic football without stripping the game of it's soul.

I enjoy a bit of oul fashioned trench warfare, gets the blood flowing!!
For what shall it profit a man if he gains the whole world & loses his soul.

highorlow

Looks like O'Rourke got a bit carried away with himself last week with his "template for change" and either rowed back or got rowed back. Then again he has been inconsistent in his articles and was on about the 3 handpass rule etc before and didn't think of the consequences. This is what he said back in Feb -  The solution is to limit the number of handpasses. Three should be enough. There are those who feel referees have enough problems without counting, but counting to three should not be too taxing. All handpasses in your own half of the field should have to be forward and no passes back to the goalkeeper should be allowed.

The one thing he did mention is the trial on the mark way back when. He said it didn't work as "midfielders were unwilling to risk a catch in case their direct opponent beat them to it". I'm not sure how this came about and I think Colm means that both teams just went about breaking the ball and no clean catching unfolded and this was a policy of the managers? I don't remember the trial matches and would've liked to have seen it but I would add that the second play after the initial mark should also be a mark option.

This would create more risk and reward. It would cause more  1 on 1 defense's and the reward would be that the subsequent mark would be a free score chance. The risk is that placing the 2nd midfielder and possibly a CHB up front to win the 2nd mark leaves the team vulnerable to the counter attack if unsuccessful. All mark kicks must be taken as forward ones.

I'd imagine there are some small downsides to this [I'll leave this part to the Lone Shark] but I visualize more high fielding and kicking which is what we are looking for in the game. I also visualize a more naked defence arrangement as a quickly taken initial mark from midfield will diminish and nullify the sweeper position, i.e, spare defence man on the attacking team can run into a scoring position to accept the 2nd mark, meanwhile the blanket sweeper is isolated and no use to his defence.

Its certain that teams with blankets would definitely have to re-think if this is a rule.
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: Syferus on April 21, 2015, 10:20:04 AM

Ah jesus i dunno.
What exactly do you want from a game?
The U21 game had some fantastic long range score taking, some acurate kick passing (im sure not as much as you would like, but it was still there), some good defending, a small bit of high feilding,defenders raiding up the feild to take a few scores, a devastaing inside forward performance from young Brennan and two teams going at it,without a  backwards step taken.
It may not have been a bonefide classic, but it was certain a more than decent game.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

LeoMc

Quote from: highorlow on April 21, 2015, 11:08:13 AM
Looks like O'Rourke got a bit carried away with himself last week with his "template for change" and either rowed back or got rowed back. Then again he has been inconsistent in his articles and was on about the 3 handpass rule etc before and didn't think of the consequences. This is what he said back in Feb -  The solution is to limit the number of handpasses. Three should be enough. There are those who feel referees have enough problems without counting, but counting to three should not be too taxing. All handpasses in your own half of the field should have to be forward and no passes back to the goalkeeper should be allowed.

The one thing he did mention is the trial on the mark way back when. He said it didn't work as "midfielders were unwilling to risk a catch in case their direct opponent beat them to it". I'm not sure how this came about and I think Colm means that both teams just went about breaking the ball and no clean catching unfolded and this was a policy of the managers? I don't remember the trial matches and would've liked to have seen it but I would add that the second play after the initial mark should also be a mark option.

This would create more risk and reward. It would cause more  1 on 1 defense's and the reward would be that the subsequent mark would be a free score chance. The risk is that placing the 2nd midfielder and possibly a CHB up front to win the 2nd mark leaves the team vulnerable to the counter attack if unsuccessful. All mark kicks must be taken as forward ones.

I'd imagine there are some small downsides to this [I'll leave this part to the Lone Shark] but I visualize more high fielding and kicking which is what we are looking for in the game. I also visualize a more naked defence arrangement as a quickly taken initial mark from midfield will diminish and nullify the sweeper position, i.e, spare defence man on the attacking team can run into a scoring position to accept the 2nd mark, meanwhile the blanket sweeper is isolated and no use to his defence.

Its certain that teams with blankets would definitely have to re-think if this is a rule.
Managers will simply look at the risk reward. As Colm alluded to previously if there is a risk the opposition will get a free kick from a mid-fielder catching their own kick out the defending team will simply try to break the ball every time leading to increased congestion.

If there is a second mark available on the edge of the square the risk is higher so it will be made more congested.
At club level Managers will substitute size for skill. Doesn't matter if a man cant perform any of the other basics, if he is 6'6"" he will be placed on the edge of the square to win marks. Perhaps we could introduce the lift from Rugby!

highorlow

QuoteManagers will simply look at the risk reward. As Colm alluded to previously if there is a risk the opposition will get a free kick from a mid-fielder catching their own kick out the defending team will simply try to break the ball every time leading to increased congestion.

If there is a second mark available on the edge of the square the risk is higher so it will be made more congested.
At club level Managers will substitute size for skill. Doesn't matter if a man cant perform any of the other basics, if he is 6'6"" he will be placed on the edge of the square to win marks. Perhaps we could introduce the lift from Rugby!

1st bold point = Based on the pace of the game nowadays the faster midfielder along with the best goalie will be rewarded in this instance. The 2nd mark is the bigger reward so this will lead to the best midfielders getting a return and lead to longer kick outs. By your logic, which is fair enough and I would agree with it, if the congestion increases around the midfield because of a reward mark then this will nullify the congestion in the defence and thus decrease the blanket influence?

2nd bold point = That's a fair point but I've addressed that as the best defending team will then be able to counter attack at pace. It also rewards the forward that can field the ball with his free score chance for mark 2.

3rd bold point = I thought of that also but I don't believe this to be the case. It is also contradicted by your initial point. If the midfield gets congested and the ball gets broken more often that fast skilled players are needed. Runners and skilled goal scorers will still be needed for the breaking ball on the initial marked kick into the forward line. High fielding is also a skill, but you probably have forgotten that since the blanket arrived. I don't believe a team of 15 Kieran Donaghy's would be any use, but one or two on every team would be necessary along with a load of Doohers and Geezers. What's the harm in that? Also the 2nd mark would not necessarily have to be a high hoof into the square as you seem to visualize. It can be a quick 15 yard tap to the nearest half or full forward.

For the 4th bold point = we already have "phases" and I'm waiting for commentators to use the phrase "linebreaks" soon in relation to the blanket.

I've tried to visualize how it would pan out and you have done the same. My conclusions are clearly from a playing perspective whereas I'd guess you are only giving a spectator perspective, which is welcome enough I suppose.
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

cuconnacht

Quote from: highorlow on April 21, 2015, 11:08:13 AM

And just to finish the visualization a few skirts and blouses plimsolls and ya got yerself a great game a netball with a bigger target to aim at.jaysus

BennyHarp

Quote from: muppet on April 21, 2015, 10:33:28 AM
Ok, for this week's column I have been really thinking hard about this. I want to stick rigidly to the time honoured traditions of an old fashioned knee-jerk reaction. But I also want to adhere to the media pundit school of thinking, or rather of appearing to have thought things through but not really bother my arse doing so.

Problem: Nowadays is there is no space for forwards as teams rapidly funnel hundreds of forwards back as soon as they lose the ball. (that is about as much analysis as I could be arsed with).

Solution: Re-shape the pitch completely so that the pitch narrows to around 1.5 metres at the middle and widens out enormously near the goals. This would cause a bottleneck in midfield when teams try to funnel players back and leave loads of space for forwards in front of the goals. Trying to handpass is through such a narrow middle would be folly so teams would have to kick it long.

Problem: Some teams don't contest kickouts and many believe the art of high fielding is in terminal decline.

Solution: Further to the above solution, you could have posts at halfway, either side of the narrowest 1.5 metre wide part of the pitch. Any kickout that passes through the posts would be awarded 1/⑂ points. (No I don't know either but it looks like I thought about it a lot).

Problem: The are so many meaningless and one-sided games in the Provinces and the competition only really starts at the semi-final stage.

Solution: Provincial Champions play all matches with a man less the following year. All-Ireland Finalists play with 2 men less and All-Ireland Champions play with 4 men less. All except for Meath, who traditionally play better with less men, so they play with an extra man when they win a title.

Problem: Officiating at games has been in decline. Many believe the increased fitness of the players is a big part of the problem. (Again that is about as much analysis as I will bother with).

Solution: All officials will be required to use Segways in the Championship, including umpires. Training in the use of Segways should commence immediately. Each Segway will be modified to include large indicators for yellow, black and red cards and should have the capacity to be modified for any absurd cards that may be introduced in the future. The Segway should also have massive 150dB horns, to help officials break up schemozzles and to waken crowds put to sleep by any blanket defences.

I'm usually very conservative in my views on rule changes and generally think that the game will work itself out. But these proposals have completely changed my view on that and I don't think I can pick a fault in any of them. The re-shaping of the pitch is such an obvious solution, I can't believe it hasn't been considered before! Good work Muppet!
That was never a square ball!!

Jinxy

;D
Can't get the image of Marty Duffy whizzing around the field on a segway out of my head.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

LeoMc

Quote from: highorlow on April 21, 2015, 01:15:11 PM
QuoteManagers will simply look at the risk reward. As Colm alluded to previously if there is a risk the opposition will get a free kick from a mid-fielder catching their own kick out the defending team will simply try to break the ball every time leading to increased congestion.

1st bold point = Based on the pace of the game nowadays the faster midfielder along with the best goalie will be rewarded in this instance. The 2nd mark is the bigger reward so this will lead to the best midfielders getting a return and lead to longer kick outs. By your logic, which is fair enough and I would agree with it, if the congestion increases around the midfield because of a reward mark then this will nullify the congestion in the defence and thus decrease the blanket influence?

2nd bold point = That's a fair point but I've addressed that as the best defending team will then be able to counter attack at pace. It also rewards the forward that can field the ball with his free score chance for mark 2.

3rd bold point = I thought of that also but I don't believe this to be the case. It is also contradicted by your initial point. If the midfield gets congested and the ball gets broken more often that fast skilled players are needed. Runners and skilled goal scorers will still be needed for the breaking ball on the initial marked kick into the forward line. High fielding is also a skill, but you probably have forgotten that since the blanket arrived. I don't believe a team of 15 Kieran Donaghy's would be any use, but one or two on every team would be necessary along with a load of Doohers and Geezers. What's the harm in that? Also the 2nd mark would not necessarily have to be a high hoof into the square as you seem to visualize. It can be a quick 15 yard tap to the nearest half or full forward.

For the 4th bold point = we already have "phases" and I'm waiting for commentators to use the phrase "linebreaks" soon in relation to the blanket.

I've tried to visualize how it would pan out and you have done the same. My conclusions are clearly from a playing perspective whereas I'd guess you are only giving a spectator perspective, which is welcome enough I suppose.
I'm glad we are not depending on your guesses to redefine the game.

I would agree that high fielding is one of the skills of the game but we should not be elevating it (excuse the pun) above the other skills. A potential free score simply for being able to catch the ball is an over-reward and will place undue emphasis on being able to counter it.

lenny

I like the on about reshaping the pitch. That just might work. I read recently that in a recent county match the ref had one of these gps systems on as well as the teams and he ended up finishing well above any of the players in terms of ground covered. The segway could be useful then especially for the older refs.

Jinxy

The segway might fall victim to pitch conditions though.
On a wet day, you could have the ref spinning his wheels out in the middle of the field while there's a shemozzle in the large parallelogram.
Also, it would probably need to have a periscope fitted so it could navigate around the Hyde.
If you were any use you'd be playing.