Football

Change rules
44 (45.4%)
Leave her be
53 (54.6%)

Total Members Voted: 97

Teo Lurley

AZOffaly

I presume you are Laois invoking the great Leo.

INDIANA

Quote from: Zulu on April 01, 2015, 01:51:42 PM
Quote from: J70 on April 01, 2015, 01:17:54 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on March 31, 2015, 12:42:14 PM
Quote from: Teo Lurley on March 31, 2015, 12:38:32 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on March 31, 2015, 12:37:17 PM
Quote from: Teo Lurley on March 31, 2015, 12:35:00 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on March 31, 2015, 12:33:56 PM
Armagh v Tyrone in the 00s wasn't in the same parish as what we've seen in the past couple of years.

Donegal have been apart of some classics also.

They have. Miles apart.

What teams are you talking about?

Sorry, a lame attempt at a joke. You said Donegal had been 'apart' of some classics. I said they had been miles apart from classics. :)

I honestly can't think of a great game involving Donegal of the last few years off the top of my head. Maybe the semi final against Kerry was good. The Dublin game wasn't bad because of Dublin's kamikaze tactics. Not classics though.

Cork semi 2012 was a classic. Arguably one of the county's best ever performances.

Kildare quarter in 2011, after a dour first half hour,  was a superb match.

As for the Dubs game last year, go back and read the comments in that thread to see how people enjoyed it. Doesn't make it a classic, but how many classic games have any other teams been in?

Last years Dublin game was a great game due to how Dublin played rather than Donegal, if Dublin played as Donegal then it could have been awful. Donegal have been involved in some of the worst games of all time too which is unfortunately the way things seem to be going.

You're wasting your time Zulu. Asking an ulster-man to change his siege mentality view on the merits of defensive Gaelic Football is like asking him to revoke the Good Friday Agreement.

Discussions on how to make the game more expansive and more appealing are best left to those who enjoy coaching skills at training. Where training a team excites the coach. Most of the coaches up in Ulster get up early in the morning, look into the mirror and smile just to get it out of the way for the day.

Just in time to go down to the local club's mini-leagues and teach johnny where to stand in own half of the pitch instead of how to kick with both feet or tell him just to hand-pass the ball off the wall- because that's what he will spend most of the game-time doing.

Teo Lurley

Quote from: AZOffaly on April 01, 2015, 07:04:32 PM

Leo, the main man!

Teo Lurley

I think my point has been proven by that anti Ulster rant above!

AZOffaly

You're wasting your time Zulu. Asking an ulster-man to change his siege mentality view on the merits of defensive Gaelic Football is like asking him to revoke the Good Friday Agreement.

Discussions on how to make the game more expansive and more appealing are best left to those who enjoy coaching skills at training. Where training a team excites the coach. Most of the coaches up in Ulster get up early in the morning, look into the mirror and smile just to get it out of the way for the day.

Just in time to go down to the local club's mini-leagues and teach johnny where to stand in own half of the pitch instead of how to kick with both feet or tell him just to hand-pass the ball off the wall- because that's what he will spend most of the game-time doing.

You're an awful riser Indiana, but I love that line 😄

INDIANA

Quote from: Teo Lurley on April 01, 2015, 06:36:44 PM
I'm not saying this is everyone that's criticising the way teams play but a lot of the criticism in coming from anti-Northern bias. The truth is that many don't like to see Ulster teams coming down here and beating most teams. It comes from their hated of nordies in general. The style of football is just an excuse.

In fairness Leo ulster's reign is over when you look at the roll of honour since 2008.

I've no hatred of Nordies -some of the my best friends are from the North.

However when it comes to this they can't see the wood from the trees. Even my Northern friends.

the blanket defence to an Ulster GAA man is like turban to a Sikh

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: AZOffaly on April 01, 2015, 07:04:32 PM

Great player is right. He put an end to Dermot Earley's managerial career at inter county level in 1996.

He has been exiled in Kildare for the last 10 years or so. I believe he's managing Leixlip this year.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

BennyHarp

Quote from: INDIANA on April 01, 2015, 08:04:09 PM
I'm not saying this is everyone that's criticising the way teams play but a lot of the criticism in coming from anti-Northern bias. The truth is that many don't like to see Ulster teams coming down here and beating most teams. It comes from their hated of nordies in general. The style of football is just an excuse.

In fairness Leo ulster's reign is over when you look at the roll of honour since 2008.

However when it comes to this they can't see the wood from the trees. Even my Northern friends.

Ha, I love this line!
That was never a square ball!!

screenexile

Good to see that its not Derry ruining football anyways!!

JoG2

Absolutely.  1 damage limitation game against the professionals in their home super stadium and the amount of column inches written about Derry being the death of football as wee know it !

Up Derry

BluestackBoy

Quote from: AZOffaly on April 01, 2015, 07:18:34 PM

You're an awful riser Indiana, but I love that line 😄

Even if it isn't original.
For what shall it profit a man if he gains the whole world & loses his soul.

J70

Quote from: INDIANA on April 01, 2015, 07:05:53 PM
Armagh v Tyrone in the 00s wasn't in the same parish as what we've seen in the past couple of years.

They have. Miles apart.

Sorry, a lame attempt at a joke. You said Donegal had been 'apart' of some classics. I said they had been miles apart from classics. :)

I honestly can't think of a great game involving Donegal of the last few years off the top of my head. Maybe the semi final against Kerry was good. The Dublin game wasn't bad because of Dublin's kamikaze tactics. Not classics though.

Cork semi 2012 was a classic. Arguably one of the county's best ever performances.

As for the Dubs game last year, go back and read the comments in that thread to see how people enjoyed it. Doesn't make it a classic, but how many classic games have any other teams been in?

Last years Dublin game was a great game due to how Dublin played rather than Donegal, if Dublin played as Donegal then it could have been awful. Donegal have been involved in some of the worst games of all time too which is unfortunately the way things seem to be going.

The discussion was about whether or not Donegal, in their current guise, had been involved in classic games. That is all.

But nice rant! ;D

J70

They have. Miles apart.

And if Donegal hadn't thrown men forward when they won the ball, unlike 2011, it could also have been awful.

But anyway, which worst games of all time?

The 2011 semi.

2011 Antrim game was poor enough, as was Down 2013, but no worse than many other games not involving us.

This year's Monaghan game in the league was certainly a low point (as was your game last week).

That aside, I'm struggling to think of "worst game of all time" contenders we've been involved in.

My personal nadir was the appalling first round game we played against Fermanagh in Ulster in 2003. Not a blanket in sight, but the quality of the football from both sides was simply shocking.

Jinxy

Quote from: BennyHarp on April 01, 2015, 08:59:50 PM
Quote from: INDIANA on April 01, 2015, 08:04:09 PM

Ha, I love this line!

Some of my best friends from the North are black.
If you were any use you'd be playing.