GAA General discussion Board

Started by Hereiam, March 25, 2015, 08:27:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Sheehy

Things went downhill when the Tyrone lads started taking themselves too seriously.

Up to then you could have some craic.

Farrandeelin

Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

seafoid

Quote from: ONeill on March 26, 2015, 12:11:54 AM
Quote from: Hereiam on March 25, 2015, 08:27:02 PM
Lads i have been a long time reader and contributor to this board for a long time. It was a source of good information and guidance on a range of topics. It was also fun at times with some good laugh out loud moments.
Lately the board has become nothing more than a place for a select few who hijack threads to insult and rile each other.
The general board has become a pain in the ass to read and is being ruined by a handful of posters and if the mods dont do something soon it will kill this discussion board

Rant over

Barely spend more than 10 mins  a week on here for the same reason.

Not complaining about it - the gaaboard isn't important - but the explanation given above is spot on. The same people argue about the same things, fruitlessly hoping their words of wisdom over and over again will finally break the resolve of the other. Utterly pointless and brain-aching. Sorta took whatever crack there was in it and worded it into submission.

But, as the man says, ye don't have to read it and that's true I suppose.

Where's has the irreverence, the slagging (slegging) and good oul shit-talk gone?

Just noticed this quality post by Sidney, by wading through the crap, which went completely unnoticed...sums it up - http://gaaboard.com/board/index.php?topic=20748.msg1448698#msg1448698 - that's feckin brilliant.

You can usually weigh up a poster and make your point in 2 posts if you feel strongly about it.....anything beyond that staggers into boredom.

Ziggy should place a 2-post cap on topics and also have a w**ker of the week thread. I nominate Ziggy. Also, anyone who makes the same point twice sits in the sin bin for a week.

And while you're at it ziggy - you haven't done a mywayaccess risk assessment of the general discussion thread.
This internet board discussion topic is very similar to religious discussions based around the notion that everything has gone to pot. See ISIS for details.  A few crucifixions and bob's your uncle. 

In internet terms the time spans are obviously compressed since there was no gaaboard in 400 BC- the  golden age can be max 15 years ago when every post was hilarious but it's basically related to how our brains work- we forget all the mediocrity of the past and just focus on the good bits.

http://www.nybooks.com/articles/archives/2015/apr/02/slouching-toward-mecca/

"Cultural pessimism is as old as human culture and has a long history in Europe. Hesiod thought that he was living in the age of iron; Cato the Elder blamed Greek philosophy for corrupting the young; Saint Augustine exposed the pagan decadence responsible for Rome's collapse; the Protestant reformers felt themselves to be living in the Great Tribulation; French royalists blamed Rousseau and Voltaire for the Revolution; and just about everyone blamed Nietzsche for the two world wars"

deiseach

I'd agree with seafoid only I'd then be accused of washing his balls, as the genocidal imperialist Americans would say.

seafoid

Quote from: deiseach on March 26, 2015, 09:50:37 AM
I'd agree with seafoid only I'd then be accused of washing his balls, as the genocidal imperialist Americans would say.
Stay away from me for your own good, Deiseach and vote GOP. Otherwise guilt by association. 

RealSpiritof98

Agree with OP although twitter has to take most of the blame regarding lack of numbers

Hardy

Quote from: ONeill on March 26, 2015, 12:11:54 AMThe same people argue about the same things, fruitlessly hoping their words of wisdom over and over again will finally break the resolve of the other.

Goway outta dat. I remember trying to explain to you the futility of believing in a supreme deity. Now you're an atheist. Fruitless?

The case for John McDermott v. Peter Canavan may take a little longer, fair enough.

deiseach

Quote from: Hardy on March 26, 2015, 11:46:40 AM
The case for John McDermott v. Peter Canavan may take a little longer, fair enough.

Didn't you hear? That one is settled. Ahem.

ziggysego

Quote from: Hereiam on March 25, 2015, 08:27:02 PM
Lads i have been a long time reader and contributor to this board for a long time. It was a source of good information and guidance on a range of topics. It was also fun at times with some good laugh out loud moments.
Lately the board has become nothing more than a place for a select few who hijack threads to insult and rile each other.
The general board has become a pain in the ass to read and is being ruined by a handful of posters and if the mods dont do something soon it will kill this discussion board

Rant over

Barely spend more than 10 mins  a week on here for the same reason.

Not complaining about it - the gaaboard isn't important - but the explanation given above is spot on. The same people argue about the same things, fruitlessly hoping their words of wisdom over and over again will finally break the resolve of the other. Utterly pointless and brain-aching. Sorta took whatever crack there was in it and worded it into submission.

But, as the man says, ye don't have to read it and that's true I suppose.

Where's has the irreverence, the slagging (slegging) and good oul shit-talk gone?

Just noticed this quality post by Sidney, by wading through the crap, which went completely unnoticed...sums it up - http://gaaboard.com/board/index.php?topic=20748.msg1448698#msg1448698 - that's feckin brilliant.

You can usually weigh up a poster and make your point in 2 posts if you feel strongly about it.....anything beyond that staggers into boredom.

Spot on. Rarely come on here now as I'm sick of the non-stop bitchiness about the same thing.

And I did miss the the post by Sidney - brilliant.

Ziggy should place a 2-post cap on topics and also have a w**ker of the week thread. I nominate Ziggy. Also, anyone who makes the same point twice sits in the sin bin for a week.

And while you're at it ziggy - you haven't done a mywayaccess risk assessment of the general discussion thread.

No provisions made for the visually impaired, so a big fail on that grounds ONeill.
Testing Accessibility

Itchy

Lock all the old farts in this thread and let them reminisce on the good old days like Pat Spillane and the wonderous 70s.

bennydorano

The half dozen quasi-religious threads on the go at any one time with the auto-repeat circular arguments are definite last straw material. I dont even blame Fearon, it's the normally sensible people who perpetuate the vicious circle by engaging him.

CiKe

Couldn't agree more. Don't contribute much but been reading for a long time. Have found myself lately just skimming threads when previously would have read everything. How does the "Ignore" function work? Even with just skimming there are a few prime candidates that stand out - Mike Sheehy, Foxcommander, Gallsman - here is looking at you. No doubt there are a few more. I don't know if you probably think you're funny or defending the one incontrovertible truth or will just come out with the old defense that you're only on the windup but f*ck me is a proper pain in the hole watching you b*tch at each other.

Thanks Hereiam, feel much better after that.

foxcommander

Quote from: CiKe on March 26, 2015, 08:27:15 PM
Couldn't agree more. Don't contribute much but been reading for a long time. Have found myself lately just skimming threads when previously would have read everything. How does the "Ignore" function work? Even with just skimming there are a few prime candidates that stand out - Mike Sheehy, Foxcommander, Gallsman - here is looking at you. No doubt there are a few more. I don't know if you probably think you're funny or defending the one incontrovertible truth or will just come out with the old defense that you're only on the windup but f*ck me is a proper pain in the hole watching you b*tch at each other.

Thanks Hereiam, feel much better after that.

My apologies princess.
Every second of the day there's a Democrat telling a lie