Ciarraí v Muineachán, Pairc Aibhistin de Staic, 29ú Marta @ 15:00

Started by GrandMasterFlash, March 23, 2015, 12:53:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Main Street

Sounds like a good Monaghan support down there, giving a standing ovation to the team (usually one stands when giving an ovation).
That was a very sweet victory in the heartland of Kerry, revenge for 1930.

cuconnacht

Great win for the Farney,slipping the noose and throwin it round the heads of AI champs on their own turf,sensational result.congrats.

charlie linkbox

Home from Tralee after a great day. Probably not a great game if you were to analyse it critically but who cares. It was a super effort.

A number of highlights; Beggans monster free against the wind in the first half was unreal (which was applauded by the Kerry supporters around me in fairness to them), we acquitted ourselves well against Kerry's much vaunted midfield, Karl O'Connell Dessie Mone and Kieran Hughes had great games, the team showed good character when 5 nil down to keep the heads and work their way into the game.

But special mention to Dermot Malone, Man of the match by a mile IMO. Covered every blade of grass, was always involved and scored a nice point with the outside of his boot. His finest Monaghan game I would contend.

It's a serious psychological boost to the team to beat a non-Ulster top team and the team was fully deserving of the ovation they got at the end. Well done lads!

The Kerry supporters were very gracious too I must say.

Main Street

Good to read that Charlie, we heard you via northern sound... just about,  but that's down to that they only have commentary microphones.

babarino

RTÉ's League Sunday obviously thought the result was a foregone conclusion and didn't bother to record it. Nor did they think the result deserved a mention. They had plenty of negative things to say about Monaghan following our only defeat away to Mayo, while also tipping us for demotion. 

They still had time time last night for yet another tribute to Kilkenny's Henry Shefflin.... No doubt with the Dubs coming to Clones they'll show up. The Monaghan squad should tell them to get stuffed.

babarino

Ooops didn't see this discussed on a thread dedicated to the bias/incompetence on League Sunday....

Mike Sheehy

Quote from: babarino on March 30, 2015, 08:19:50 PM
RTÉ's League Sunday obviously thought the result was a foregone conclusion and didn't bother to record it. Nor did they think the result deserved a mention. They had plenty of negative things to say about Monaghan following our only defeat away to Mayo, while also tipping us for demotion. 

They still had time time last night for yet another tribute to Kilkenny's Henry Shefflin.... No doubt with the Dubs coming to Clones they'll show up. The Monaghan squad should tell them to get stuffed.

well, at least we noticed anyway

pic.twitter.com/wkcT6fBudl

Main Street

Not it matters much where tables and records are concerned, but we did have a strong team turned out, who had picked up the lose baton after the Mayo game and were fit and full of confidence, whereas Kerry were probably a bit bedraggled with some unfit players and others to come back into the team.

It is nice that the Tralee today journal were forced to eat some humble pie, no doubt a popular post match meal down in Kerry.

Gavin o'Connor http://traleetoday.ie/kerry-to-face-northern-exposure-against-monaghan/ "Kerry are likely to face a more negative style of football (than Donegal) from Monaghan this Sunday, KERRY will once again face northern raiders at home in this league campaign, having dispatched of Donegal with some exciting, open football.
Surely Monaghan will come with the shutters down?"

They didn't Gavin, because Monaghan are a balanced team that defends and attacks with aplomb and ability and they did it against a team for whom positivity was defined by  lumping the ball forward, against a strong wind.

For all their low standard gaa punditry, Tralee Today do have a good photographer.
Look at this for fielding, Kieran Hughes is it?

Mike Sheehy

It was nice the way the Monaghan fans gave the team a standing ovation coming off the pitch.

I think most Kerry people were a bit bemused though. We could have sworn it was just a league game....

Still, if lads like Main street can avail of this once in a lifetime chance to rub it in then who are we to begrudge them....

The Subbie

Quote from: Mike Sheehy on March 31, 2015, 01:19:21 AM
It was nice the way the Monaghan fans gave the team a standing ovation coming off the pitch.

I think most Kerry people were a bit bemused though. We could have sworn it was just a league game....

Still, if lads like Main street can avail of this once in a lifetime chance to rub it in then who are we to begrudge them....

nice to see you still care Mike, you going to travel to Omagh?

Maguire01

It wasn't "just" a league game (we've won plenty of them), it was a win against the AI Champions away from home, it was our first win against Kerry in 27 years, it secured our division 1 status which is no small achievement given that we've come from division 3 over the last few years...

GrandMasterFlash

If Monaghan had of implemented an 'ultra negative northern system' that the TraleeToday (and many other) lazy journalism suggests, and Kerry had of beaten us, you would have been espousing Kerry's mighty ability to beat the likes of the Donegal and Monaghan blanket defense etc.

As stated above, Monaghan are not an ultra negative team and have proven time and again in this league that they can both defend and attack in equal measure.

Do you remember when Kerry beat an ageing Tryone team in Killarney (I think it was) a few years ago in the league? You'd think you'd won your 8th All Ireland in a row, or whatever it might take to create euphoria down there in the Kingdom; I can only dream. I think a standing ovation was modest in comparison...

Main Street

And most Kerry people had already slunk out of the park, long before the final whistle.

GrandMasterFlash

Quote from: GrandMasterFlash on March 31, 2015, 10:06:28 AM

If Monaghan had of implemented an 'ultra negative northern system' that the TraleeToday (and many other) lazy journalism suggests, and Kerry had of beaten us, you would have been espousing Kerry's mighty ability to beat the likes of the Donegal and Monaghan blanket defense etc.

As stated above, Monaghan are not an ultra negative team and have proven time and again in this league that they can both defend and attack in equal measure.

Do you remember when Kerry beat an ageing Tryone team in Killarney (I think it was) a few years ago in the league? You'd think you'd won your 8th All Ireland in a row, or whatever it might take to create euphoria down there in the Kingdom; I can only dream. I think a standing ovation was modest in comparison...

I stand corrected Mike:

July 2012, Killarney Kerry 1-16, Tyrone 1-6

Their first championship encounter for four years gave Kerry their first summer win over Tyrone in four attempts, leading to quite pronounced shows of emotion from some of the Kingdom players.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/bitter-kerrytyrone-rivalry-losing-its-edge-as-dogfight-for-survival-looms-31109850.html

Mike Sheehy

Relax. Congrats on your win.

I was just having the banter with Main street.  ;)