Unionist electoral pact announced.

Started by T Fearon, March 17, 2015, 08:47:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Trap

If a credible person stood as an "against the pact" and "not green or orange" candidate would you vote for them? Would such an individual have a chance if they could get the non-voters to vote?

Bingo

Quote from: Franko on March 19, 2015, 02:03:45 PM
Quote from: Bingo on March 19, 2015, 09:36:52 AM
Northern Irish politics is mental.

With this pact and others on the horizon, the politicans are more or less controlling the vote and playing on the religious divide by telling the voter who they have to vote for.

For the sake of everyone, the sooner people can look past the party and actually vote for the best candidate the better. But is this even close to happening?

Will there ever be an alternative party, or rather party's, that don't rely on one half of the community only.

The thing is, the 'best candidate' isn't the most able politician.  The best candidate in an election is generally the one whose opinions on the main issues match most closely to your own.  Politics in the North is skewed in that one of the main concerns of the electrate is the question of national identity.  It's a product of the gerrymandered statelet that the British created.  Until that is addressed properly, people will still vote along orange and green lines.  The mindset of the electorate needs to change before the politicians will.

Is the mindset there because there isn't or hasn't been an alternative?

With this Pact there will never be a better chance for politicians to emerge and challenge the parties involved and this mindset. It might be a slow burner and take time but surely there is a desire there for change. The old "build it and they will come" approach.

Is there no Eddie Hobbs up North (Joke BTW but if you's want him.....)

Franko

Quote from: Bingo on March 19, 2015, 02:31:55 PM
Quote from: Franko on March 19, 2015, 02:03:45 PM
Quote from: Bingo on March 19, 2015, 09:36:52 AM
Northern Irish politics is mental.

With this pact and others on the horizon, the politicans are more or less controlling the vote and playing on the religious divide by telling the voter who they have to vote for.

For the sake of everyone, the sooner people can look past the party and actually vote for the best candidate the better. But is this even close to happening?

Will there ever be an alternative party, or rather party's, that don't rely on one half of the community only.

The thing is, the 'best candidate' isn't the most able politician.  The best candidate in an election is generally the one whose opinions on the main issues match most closely to your own.  Politics in the North is skewed in that one of the main concerns of the electrate is the question of national identity.  It's a product of the gerrymandered statelet that the British created.  Until that is addressed properly, people will still vote along orange and green lines.  The mindset of the electorate needs to change before the politicians will.

Is the mindset there because there isn't or hasn't been an alternative?

With this Pact there will never be a better chance for politicians to emerge and challenge the parties involved and this mindset. It might be a slow burner and take time but surely there is a desire there for change. The old "build it and they will come" approach.

Is there no Eddie Hobbs up North (Joke BTW but if you's want him.....)

In short, no.

When going into the polling booth in an election I would assume the thought process is something like;

1. What are my main concerns?
2. Which candidate/party addresses these best?

In the north, one of the main concerns is the national question.  (I'd venture that for the vast majority of voters it's in the top 3 main issues in any election)  Any candidate who either doesn't support your view or takes the opposite view to you on this will immediately be discounted.  Until that changes I'm afraid it's green or orange for the most part and anyone who doesn't nail their colours to the mast will be left with scraps.

Rossfan

The Westminster anti democratic voting system is even more unfair in the North with the 2 Tribes thingy and is possibly contrary to the Good Friday Agreement.
3 or 4  Constituencies and a multi seat PR  is the fair way to go.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

johnneycool

Quote from: The Trap on March 19, 2015, 02:13:50 PM
If a credible person stood as an "against the pact" and "not green or orange" candidate would you vote for them? Would such an individual have a chance if they could get the non-voters to vote?

No, because the first thing they'd be asked by the media is what their stance on flegs and parades would be and whatever way that falls will make the minds up for the tribal electorate.

muppet

Quote from: johnneycool on March 19, 2015, 04:57:09 PM

No, because the first thing they'd be asked by the media is what their stance on flegs and parades would be and whatever way that falls will make the minds up for the tribal electorate.

In the south the answer to that would be....

"Well I'm glad you asked me that question, but first I'd like to remind you of all of the work I have done for farmers, public service, private enterprise, space exploration, " <repeat ad nauseum until> "well we've run out of time, thank you for joining us".
MWWSI 2017

ziggysego

Dr Kieran McDeeny got a seat in West Tyrone under the hospital issue.
Testing Accessibility

armaghniac

Quote from: ziggysego on March 19, 2015, 07:40:28 PM

How did that one work out?
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

ziggysego

Quote from: hardstation on March 19, 2015, 07:56:55 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on March 19, 2015, 07:49:36 PM
Quote from: ziggysego on March 19, 2015, 07:40:28 PM

How did that one work out?
It was so unsuccessful that ziggy has even forgotten his name.

:D
Testing Accessibility

JPGJOHNNYG

Pacts are sectarian end of. If SF seriously wanted a pact then they need a different approach. Their current idea of standing aside in South Belfast a seat SDLP will win anyway in return for a free run in FST, NB and Upper Bann is hardly tempting. The problem for nationalists is there arent really any constituencies to make a deal on. East Londonderry might be a long shot for a unity candidate but any thought of such a move and unionism would reciprocate. By the way talk of Mom winning SB is ridiculous. Gerry kelly cant find 2000 votes to beat dodds despite kamp kultur etc etc but Mom is somehow going to quadruple the SF vote by appealing to all the pale green alliance types to steal SB - aye right can i have some of what your on.

charlieTully

Is there an appetite for a 32 county workers movement,  devoid of sectarianism or consitutslism? I would gladly vote for such a party. the label of  sectarianism irks in the extreme. Politics in the six align under green and orange unfortunately. It's more in keeping with national identity than religious identity.

johnneycool

Quote from: charlieTully on March 20, 2015, 12:26:45 AM
Is there an appetite for a 32 county workers movement,  devoid of sectarianism or consitutslism? I would gladly vote for such a party. the label of  sectarianism irks in the extreme. Politics in the six align under green and orange unfortunately. It's more in keeping with national identity than religious identity.

The fact that it would be a 32 county organisation would alienate the unionists right away and you've already aligned yourself with the green vote.

Beat before you start!

I'd agree with your last sentiment though, Sínn Fein and the Catholic church in Ireland would be uneasy bed fellows, and Rome's representatives here through the troubles did very little in high level terms to protect their flock.

Applesisapples

Some observations on what I have read. In South Belfast it appears the DUP wouldn't support the UUP cadidate because he was gay. McDonnell is a buffoon and if Martin doesn't beat him this time he will next time.
When is a pact not sectarian? when it is Unionist of course.
Mike Nesbitt is almost as big a buffoon as Big All and all his rhetoric about reaching out to nationalists is horse shit. When he needs to be plays the Red Hand.
Mickey Brady may not be well known outside Newry and Armagh but he is popular and well know within the district.
When are the SDLP going to learn, parachuting in Justy is like McKinney last time a desperate  act and voters can spot desperation a mile off. I'll bet Dominic Bradley is well chuffed.
I have to say though I dispair of the state of Nationalist politics, I'll end up voting for the Shinners as the least worst option, not because I like their policies.
On Abstention no right thinking Irish man could bring himself to take an oath to the Queen, the Stoops should merge with Alliance they are a small u unionist party.

Maguire01

Quote from: Applesisapples on March 24, 2015, 09:08:36 AM
Some observations on what I have read. In South Belfast it appears the DUP wouldn't support the UUP cadidate because he was gay. McDonnell is a buffoon and if Martin doesn't beat him this time he will next time.
You have no understanding of South Belfast if you think that. There's more chance of a United Ireland than SF taking SB in the foreseeable future.   

The "best" they can do is split the vote and let a Unionist/Alliance candidate through.

Maguire01

Quote from: Applesisapples on March 24, 2015, 09:08:36 AM
When are the SDLP going to learn, parachuting in Justy is like McKinney last time a desperate  act and voters can spot desperation a mile off.
Parachuting in? Is McNulty not from the area? And what is SF doing in South Belfast.