dec

Quote from: muppet on March 18, 2015, 09:59:29 PM
Quote from: Orior on March 18, 2015, 08:59:02 PM
Quote from: muppet on March 18, 2015, 08:07:54 PM
Quote from: Orior on March 18, 2015, 07:49:16 PM
Quote from: muppet on March 18, 2015, 06:31:12 PM
Quote from: deiseach on March 18, 2015, 01:59:01 PM
Quote from: Orior on March 18, 2015, 11:10:01 AM
In terms of ability, I think O'Muilleoir is head and shoulders above the others.

If the SDLP want to campaign on a non-sectarian ticket then they should all join the Alliance.

Do the Shinners openly campaign on a sectarian ticket?

I don't think you will get an answer to that.  :D

Why, are you stealing the answers Muppet? Give him the answer (it is yes)

So let me get this right, SF openly campaign on a sectarian ticket?

With the exception of Alliance, the political parties in the occupied six have unquestionable religious affiliations. So each parties ticket is sectarian.

How can you be openly sectarian AND claim to support the peace process.

The peace process is about us not killing each other. We don't have to actually like each other.

muppet

Quote from: dec on March 18, 2015, 10:13:25 PM
Quote from: muppet on March 18, 2015, 09:59:29 PM
Quote from: Orior on March 18, 2015, 08:59:02 PM
Quote from: muppet on March 18, 2015, 08:07:54 PM
Quote from: Orior on March 18, 2015, 07:49:16 PM
Quote from: muppet on March 18, 2015, 06:31:12 PM
Quote from: deiseach on March 18, 2015, 01:59:01 PM
Quote from: Orior on March 18, 2015, 11:10:01 AM
In terms of ability, I think O'Muilleoir is head and shoulders above the others.

If the SDLP want to campaign on a non-sectarian ticket then they should all join the Alliance.

Do the Shinners openly campaign on a sectarian ticket?

I don't think you will get an answer to that.  :D

Why, are you stealing the answers Muppet? Give him the answer (it is yes)

So let me get this right, SF openly campaign on a sectarian ticket?

With the exception of Alliance, the political parties in the occupied six have unquestionable religious affiliations. So each parties ticket is sectarian.

How can you be openly sectarian AND claim to support the peace process.

The peace process is about us not killing each other. We don't have to actually like each other.

Familes often don't like each other. Sectarianism is a little bit more than that.
MWWSI 2017

orangeman

Listening to the radio and looking at the TV yesterday Mrs Foster didn't exactly give Tom much of an endorsement. Me thinks she'd nearly want Michelle returned. Not much love lost between them.

orangeman

Listening to the radio and looking at the TV yesterday Mrs Foster didn't exactly give Tom much of an endorsement. Me thinks she'd nearly want Michelle returned. Not much love lost between them.

deiseach

Quote from: Minder on March 18, 2015, 10:00:42 PM
The contradictions in northern politics would make your head spin muppet, don't dwell on them.

I'm sure muppet is well aware of the contradictions in Northern politics. It's the True Believers who engage in the most demanding mental gymnastics to avoid facing the absurdity of their particular creed.

Bingo

Northern Irish politics is mental.

With this pact and others on the horizon, the politicans are more or less controlling the vote and playing on the religious divide by telling the voter who they have to vote for.

For the sake of everyone, the sooner people can look past the party and actually vote for the best candidate the better. But is this even close to happening?

Will there ever be an alternative party, or rather party's, that don't rely on one half of the community only.

Rossfan

Alliance does that and aren't exactly sweeping all before them.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Bingo

Quote from: Rossfan on March 19, 2015, 09:57:25 AM

I suppose its the electoral that have the problem and don't view themselves as voting for anyone except who they are deemed to vote for.

Maybe some of the nordies can give some insight into Alliance and why they haven't made any inroads? Lack of profile, suspicion from both sides of who they actually represent, poor leadership, policy weakness etc etc ??

haranguerer

Alliance haven't made inroads because despite all the talk about 'new politics' whether you like it or not, the issue of national identity is still a key issue for northern voters.

deiseach

Why should we expect political parties in the North to be non-sectarian? The fate of the Union is the only question on which everyone has an opinion. All parties in Scotland have an opinion on the Union as well, and we see all the Unionist parties tripping over themselves to put distance between themselves and the SNP. As an aside, you have to laugh at how Labour refuse to coalesce with an anti-Union party in Scotland yet have close ties with the SDLP.

Jeepers Creepers

Quote from: Bingo on March 19, 2015, 10:19:50 AM
Quote from: Rossfan on March 19, 2015, 09:57:25 AM

I suppose its the electoral that have the problem and don't view themselves as voting for anyone except who they are deemed to vote for.

Maybe some of the nordies can give some insight into Alliance and why they haven't made any inroads? Lack of profile, suspicion from both sides of who they actually represent, poor leadership, policy weakness etc etc ??

I don't think there is enough charisma in the Alliance party to haul the on the fence votes over the line. Naomi Long comes across as a likeable character and will felt hard done by if she lost her seat. I just wonder how many UUP will still vote for her rather then Robisnon. Interesting vox pop on the news last night from the Upper Newtownards road (more affluent area) who were in support of Alliance and all fed up with Green/Orange politics. Then onto the lower N'townards road (Loyalist end) when asked about the pact answered 'About time..Whys that then?  Just because!!..

johnneycool

Quote from: deiseach on March 19, 2015, 10:59:20 AM
Why should we expect political parties in the North to be non-sectarian? The fate of the Union is the only question on which everyone has an opinion. All parties in Scotland have an opinion on the Union as well, and we see all the Unionist parties tripping over themselves to put distance between themselves and the SNP. As an aside, you have to laugh at how Labour refuse to coalesce with an anti-Union party in Scotland yet have close ties with the SDLP.

Its certainly that and all the other nonsense, flags, parades, HEC, and what not that the media in the North concentrate on.

The only thing and I mean only thing on economics, job creation and normal politicking that has even got the light of day is the welfare reform and even it gets dragged along the usual division lines.

Start grilling the politicians on normal stuff that they're meant to be responsible for in Stormont rather than the usual shite and see how well they perform?

gallsman

Quote from: Bingo on March 19, 2015, 09:36:52 AM

With this pact and others on the horizon, the politicans are more or less controlling the vote and playing on the religious divide by telling the voter who they have to vote for.

For the sake of everyone, the sooner people can look past the party and actually vote for the best candidate the better. But is this even close to happening?

Will there ever be an alternative party, or rather party's, that don't rely on one half of the community only.

Good luck explaining that to a few (all of them Shinners) on this board.

Franko

The thing is, the 'best candidate' isn't the most able politician.  The best candidate in an election is generally the one whose opinions on the main issues match most closely to your own.  Politics in the North is skewed in that one of the main concerns of the electrate is the question of national identity.  It's a product of the gerrymandered statelet that the British created.  Until that is addressed properly, people will still vote along orange and green lines.  The mindset of the electorate needs to change before the politicians will.

screenexile

Quote from: Franko on March 19, 2015, 02:03:45 PM

The thing is, the 'best candidate' isn't the most able politician.  The best candidate in an election is generally the one whose opinions on the main issues match most closely to your own.  Politics in the North is skewed in that one of the main concerns of the electrate is the question of national identity.  It's a product of the gerrymandered statelet that the British created.  Until that is addressed properly, people will still vote along orange and green lines.  The mindset of the electorate needs to change before the politicians will.

That's why I don't vote. . . there's nobody there I would trust to look after the things that are important to me!!