Monaghan vs. Derry - St Tiernach's Park Clones - 15th March 2015

Started by GrandMasterFlash, March 10, 2015, 08:50:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GrandMasterFlash

Monaghan would have definitely targeted this game at the start of the year as winnable. We were unlucky against Cork not to take anything from that game; we now need to get points at home from our remaining 2 home fixtures. Win this and we're on 6pts, which should hopefully be enough but it's all very clustered in the middle..

I haven't heard of any injuries from last Sunday and in fairness McManus wasn't exactly stressed so that should help his case. Ryan Wylie and Gollogly will be back in the frame but I would personally start with the same again as to a man they done OK. Midfield is still an issue for us as and I don't believe Neil McAdam is the answer. Donegal seemed happy to restart each time by kicking to either McGee or McGrath and didn't expose our lack of aerial ability in midfield, which I thought was strange; the ability of Neil Gallagher to field and build attack after attack was the winning of the Ulster Final last year in my opinion.

Another ultra-defensive Ulster derby beckons me thinks..  :o

timmyot501

Good headache to have trying to decide if Jinxy and Ryan Wylie should be taken straight back in.  I think they probably will start but the harder decision might be who to drop. Corey & O'Connell did well enough on Sunday. t will be defensive but it can't be as mad as last Sunday surely!

DennistheMenace

Some difference in the amount of scores in the Derry v Mayo game with teams going point for point against Monaghan v Donegal. Monaghan will likely grind down Derry in the second half restricting us to long range pot shots, it's what wins games these days and is absolutely brutal to watch.

Schkite

Quote from: DennistheMenace on March 10, 2015, 09:53:02 AM
Some difference in the amount of scores in the Derry v Mayo game with teams going point for point against Monaghan v Donegal. Monaghan will likely grind down Derry in the second half restricting us to long range pot shots, it's what wins games these days and is absolutely brutal to watch.

Sure Monaghan - Cork was pretty high scoring too. It's just that this is the type of game that often happens when two Ulster teams meet, or two teams with a similar defensive system.

This one will probably be defensive alright, but surely nowhere near as bad as Sunday's game.

Main Street

It's the only game in div 1 where we start as favourites. Sometimes we should grateful that Derry exist.

JoG2

Quote from: Main Street on March 12, 2015, 09:16:40 PM
It's the only game in div 1 where we start as favourites. Sometimes we should grateful that Derry exist.

So Monaghan have started wearing the favourites tag well?

twohands!!!

1. Thomas Mallon (An Lúb)
2. Oisín Duffy (Forghleann)
3. Niall Holly (Eoghan Rua)
4. Dermot McBride (Baile na Scrine)
5. Brian Óg McAlary (Cill Ria)
6. Kevin Johnston (Dún Geimhin)
7. Sean Leo McGoldrick (Eoghan Rua)
8. Mark Craig (Dún Geimhin)
9. Brian Óg McGilligan (Beannchar)
10. Benny Heron (Baile na Scrine)
11. Mark Lynch (Beannchar) (capt)
12. Enda Lynn (Grainloch)
13. Daniel McKinless (Baile an Doire)
14. Emmett McGuckin (Machaire Fíolta)
15. Carlus McWilliams (Baile na Scrine)

Substitutes

16. Eoin McNicholl (Gleann an Iolair);
17. Aidan McAlynn (An Lúb);
18. Michael McIver (Baile an Doire);
19. Jarlath Bradley (Baile Iarainn);
20. Daryl Mullan (Droim Sorn);
21. Gary Doyle (An Lúb);
22. James Kielt (Cill Ria);
23. Barry McGoldrick (Eoghan Rua);
24. Eoin Bradley (Gleann an Iolair);
25. Emmet Bradley (Gleann)

sheamy

Mayo whipped Monaghan and then escaped by the skin of their referee teeth out of Celtic Park last week.

Result is a foregone conclusion.

theticklemister

Funny looking at that Derry squad, there are two guys on the bench who can only make the bench for u-21s mid week; while there are those who are on the starting g 15 not even on the squad!

Strange wan!

babarino

Would never take a win over Derry for granted and some are carried away thinking this is a banker.

They took big scalps last year, disappointed come championship time, but recently put it up to a wounded Tyrone in Omagh and should have won.

11. Mark Lynch 12. Enda Lynn are the ones to watch.

Maguire01

Quote from: babarino on March 12, 2015, 11:45:36 PM
Would never take a win over Derry for granted and some are carried away thinking this is a banker.

They took big scalps last year, disappointed come championship time, but recently put it up to a wounded Tyrone in Omagh and should have won.

11. Mark Lynch 12. Enda Lynn are the ones to watch.
I wouldn't take it as a banker at all. Its our easiest game on paper in the league campaign, but just ask Tyrone and Donegal which game was their easiest on paper...

Both teams need something out of this game and home advantage might just give us the edge.

Maguire01

Quote from: sheamy on March 12, 2015, 10:43:10 PM
Mayo whipped Monaghan and then escaped by the skin of their referee teeth out of Celtic Park last week.

Result is a foregone conclusion.
Other games are irrelevant. Compare our respective results against Tyrone and Donegal...

lenny

Quote from: theticklemister on March 12, 2015, 11:00:22 PM
Funny looking at that Derry squad, there are two guys on the bench who can only make the bench for u-21s mid week; while there are those who are on the starting g 15 not even on the squad!

Strange wan!

Not strange at all - they are there to make up the numbers. The starting u21s are being held back while they are still in the championship. Hate to say it but they will probably be available all too soon.

GrandMasterFlash

So the BBC have the team named as:

Monaghan: R Beggan; C Boyle, V Corey, D Wylie, D Mone, F Kelly, K O'Connell, N McAdam, D Hughes, R McAnespie, P Finlay, D Malone, D McKenna, K Hughes, C McManus.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/gaelic-games/31863393

Which is probably just a copy and paste from last week..

I'm not expecting any changes anyhow as the lads who won in difficult circumstances last week fully deserve the nod again this week.

There'll be nothing handy about it; Derry will be coming to Clones like a wounded animal and will believe they can turn Monaghan over. I don't believe complacency will set in and feel that if Monaghan display the same work-rate and 'never lie down' attitude that they'll win it.

theticklemister