Mc Creesh Park Newry.Will it no longer exist after tonight?

Started by T Fearon, March 02, 2015, 06:47:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

T Fearon

Very tough decision for SDLP to make tonight.Do they defy big Al and not turn up for this crucial vote or do they toe the Party Line and alienate the local populace and hand a massive coup to Sinn Fein

Orior

I cannot see why this is an issue. All the locals want the name, and most of Newry, so it would be very undemocratic decision if the name is taken down.

The unionists don't seen to get upset about the "Andy Tyrie Interpretive Centre" on the Newtownards Road in Belfast.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Agent Orange

Sinn Féin councillors have blocked unionist efforts to reconsider naming a Newry play park.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-31703859

LCohen

Quote from: T Fearon on March 02, 2015, 06:47:33 PM
Very tough decision for SDLP to make tonight.Do they defy big Al and not turn up for this crucial vote or do they toe the Party Line and alienate the local populace and hand a massive coup to Sinn Fein
I don't think it should be a difficult decision at all.

Alas the vote has been blocked but SDLP needed to grow a set and stand up to the shinners.

LCohen

Quote from: Orior on March 02, 2015, 09:10:43 PM
I cannot see why this is an issue. All the locals want the name, and most of Newry, so it would be very undemocratic decision if the name is taken down.

The unionists don't seen to get upset about the "Andy Tyrie Interpretive Centre" on the Newtownards Road in Belfast.

You cannot conceive of a single reason why some people might be deeply offended by the choice of name? Hard to believe.

Many unionists would have great difficulty with the naming of the Andy Tyrie Centre. A bit of a hoohaa on that might do a bit of good.

LCohen

Quote from: Agent Orange on March 02, 2015, 09:37:15 PM
Sinn Féin councillors have blocked unionist efforts to reconsider naming a Newry play park.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-31703859

The Shinners and DUP seem to be operating with the same tactics book

Orior

Quote from: LCohen on March 02, 2015, 09:56:55 PM

You cannot conceive of a single reason why some people might be deeply offended by the choice of name? Hard to believe.

Many unionists would have great difficulty with the naming of the Andy Tyrie Centre. A bit of a hoohaa on that might do a bit of good.

Can you envisage parents from Glenanne taking their kids to play in the park in Belleek?
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

LCohen

Quote from: Orior on March 02, 2015, 10:39:27 PM
Quote from: LCohen on March 02, 2015, 09:56:55 PM

Can you envisage parents from Glenanne taking their kids to play in the park in Belleek?

No.

And?

An Watcher

I can't imagine tom Elliott or any of his mates going to play in the park so what's the problem.  Similarly I don't think too many nationalists would be upset by the names of parks in loyalist areas. Mountain out of a mole hill

Tony Baloney

Quote from: An Watcher on March 02, 2015, 11:00:17 PM
I can't imagine tom Elliott or any of his mates going to play in the park so what's the problem.  Similarly I don't think too many nationalists would be upset by the names of parks in loyalist areas. Mountain out of a mole hill
Ghettoisation is the way forward.

Maguire01

Whilst I can understand that some may want to commemorate such individuals, I don't see how anyone would consider this to be a suitable name for a children's play park.

Wildweasel74

At the end of the day i always hope Northern ireland and the people living here would see sense. now i actually think they are f**king stupid! Years of oppression under the unionist thumb i expect we know better when we eventually got majority in areas, no, in a way we are doing the polar opposite what the unionists done, only its green and gold and not red and white agenda.

We end up with areas west of the bann with no flags policy, Irish language on all signs ( if i wanted to know Irish i would have kept it on at school) and everything a cold house for unionists, on the other side of the bann, flags fly all year in their dominated councils, more parades and the catholics in the minority will be minized. Its nearly a bit like the Nazis tramping the Jews, then when they got on top taking time out to tr**p the Palestines.

Naming play park after a hunger striker no matter what you believe is wrong, its children playing here you idiots, i know what opinion i would have if some park in portadown was named after Billy Wright. I have no problem with Kevin Lynch been called that, that's a decision made by a local GAA club and it now a club with a history of hurling titles behind the its name. but a play park is supposed to be for all no matter religion, creed or colour and if the people of Newry cant see this, well maybe there very little hope for this place.

armaghniac

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on March 03, 2015, 12:16:18 AM
At the end of the day i always hope Northern ireland and the people living here would see sense. now i actually think they are f**king stupid! Years of oppression under the unionist thumb i expect we know better when we eventually got majority in areas, no, in a way we are doing the polar opposite what the unionists done, only its green and gold and not red and white agenda.

We end up with areas west of the bann with no flags policy, Irish language on all signs ( if i wanted to know Irish i would have kept it on at school) and everything a cold house for unionists, on the other side of the bann, flags fly all year in their dominated councils, more parades and the catholics in the minority will be minized. Its nearly a bit like the Nazis tramping the Jews, then when they got on top taking time out to tr**p the Palestines.

Naming play park after a hunger striker no matter what you believe is wrong, its children playing here you idiots, i know what opinion i would have if some park in portadown was named after Billy Wright. I have no problem with Kevin Lynch been called that, that's a decision made by a local GAA club and it now a club with a history of hurling titles behind the its name. but a play park is supposed to be for all no matter religion, creed or colour and if the people of Newry cant see this, well maybe there very little hope for this place.

I see your point about the Newry playpark, but throwing the Irish language into the mix means you are either a WUM or are suffering from a severe cash of cultural cringe.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Eamonnca1

Unless you're sending in a demolition crew, I'm quite sure the park will continue to exist.

Next question.

Wildweasel74

Oh learning Irish doesn't make me feel anymore Irish, except when i got lost in Galway when all the signs were in Irish years ago. The school i was at nearly all the pupils dropped Irish after 3rd year, no body wanted to learn it, then again we didn't want to learn Spanish or french either to be honest, But i find lets put the Irish language first on all signs in certain councils childish, Does it make u feel anymore Irish. Just the way all you die hard Irish supporters support English soccer teams, hardly supporting Irish roots,