Paddy Kilety's thespianic debut in Windsor Park Bigotry play!

Started by T Fearon, April 21, 2007, 12:13:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Evil Genius

Quote from: his holiness nb on April 23, 2007, 04:31:27 PM
"In order to be "updated" - in the proper sense of the word - it would be much more approriate to incorporate e.g. Neil Lennon's videotaped message of support which he sent to the IFA on the occasion of their "Football For All" Awards Night earlier this year"

Jaysus EG, sounds riveting, I'm loggin onto ticketmaster immediately  ;)

I never claimed the FFA Awards were "riveting". Rather, in response to Fearon's latest rant, I pointed out that an incident involving Neil Lennon from 2007 would be more up-to-date than one from the last century. After all, he was the one demanding the play be "updated".

Any opinion on that yourself?  ::)
"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

ziggysego

Jesus lads, take a chill pill. EG's only messing about. Laugh with him ;)
Testing Accessibility

Billys Boots

QuoteDo you think there is much demand by "remedial-level" posters such as yourself?

Well that's certainly put me in my place.  I'm truly rivetted by your fantasy-world in which you think that some/most/any posters here are 'supportive' of your worldview.

Some of us here in the Special Needs Class are still interested in the long-unanswered question of why you are not proud to be gay anymore?
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

his holiness nb

Jaysus EG, I was just joking  :-*
ie. suggesting that a play about videotaped messages sent to awards ceremonies might not break box office records.
Thats all  :o
Ask me holy bollix

his holiness nb

A lot of monday narkiness on the site today from all quarters.

Lets all remember the love inside of us all  8)
Ask me holy bollix

ziggysego

Quote from: his holiness nb on April 23, 2007, 04:47:22 PM
A lot of monday narkiness on the site today from all quarters.

Mine's is due to lack of sleep
Testing Accessibility

his holiness nb

Haha! yeah I read that thread.

You will be claiming youre Tyler Durden next  8)
Ask me holy bollix

ziggysego

Testing Accessibility

brokencrossbar1

QuoteAs for your final question, I have no idea exactly how many Catholics/Nationalists attend NI games, since no-one keeps a count (!), but I do know it is increasing all the time and have no doubt it would increase at an even greater speed were there more tickets available to those outside the ranks of long-term Block Bookers.

How do you know it is increasing?  If no one keeps a count then there are no statistics to show that it is increasing all the time.  Presenting opinion based on complete lack of evidence is not fact.  The fact that you can contradict yourself in the space of one sentence would in my mind put you higher up the remedial than Billy Boots.  And that is just an opinion, not a fact!

Evil Genius

Quote from: Billys Boots on April 23, 2007, 04:44:26 PM
QuoteDo you think there is much demand by "remedial-level" posters such as yourself?

Well that's certainly put me in my place.  I'm truly rivetted by your fantasy-world in which you think that some/most/any posters here are 'supportive' of your worldview.

Some of us here in the Special Needs Class are still interested in the long-unanswered question of why you are not proud to be gay anymore?

I've sufficient grasp on reality to know that the great majority of posters on this site disagree with my opinions, though at least some also understand them and an occasional few even agree from time to time.

You, however, appear not to have a clue; after all, when have I ever said anything about being gay - proudly or otherwise?  ???
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

nifan

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on April 23, 2007, 05:11:13 PM
QuoteAs for your final question, I have no idea exactly how many Catholics/Nationalists attend NI games, since no-one keeps a count (!), but I do know it is increasing all the time and have no doubt it would increase at an even greater speed were there more tickets available to those outside the ranks of long-term Block Bookers.

How do you know it is increasing?  If no one keeps a count then there are no statistics to show that it is increasing all the time.  Presenting opinion based on complete lack of evidence is not fact.  The fact that you can contradict yourself in the space of one sentence would in my mind put you higher up the remedial than Billy Boots.  And that is just an opinion, not a fact!

Speaking for myself, i know numerous catholics who have started coming in recent years.
I dont know the overall effect, just amongst people I know.

Id be confident there has certainly been an overall increase, but none of us really know for sure.

Evil Genius

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on April 23, 2007, 05:11:13 PM

I don't know exactly what the temperature was at the weekend, but I know it was hot!

Read what I posted. I said "I have no idea exactly how many Catholics/Nationalists etc"
However, from attending games with my friends and family, both home and away, I have occasionally met or been introduced to such fans, or have discussed the topic with other fans who are in a position to know. I have also been approached about getting tickets by Catholics and have also witnessed the increasing numbers who have been (credibly) identifying themselves as such on various websites etc.

Now I wouldn't claim that they yet constitute more than a small minority; a CAIN Report came up with a figure of 7% (IIRC), which in a 14,000 capacity would equate to around a thousand. However, that Report was a few years back, since when I have absolutely no doubt that interest in the team, both passive and active, has increased significantly from all quarters.

Consequently, I would confidently predict that if the present crippling restrictions on capacity at Windsor could somehow be removed (regrettably not going to happen), we would see ever increasing numbers of Catholics/Nationalists returning to watch NI.

And although I am not at all a fan of the proposed Maze Stadium, for a whole host of reasons, if it could help continue and speed up that particular process, then that would be one silver lining (imo) to that otherwise dark cloud.

That's all, really.
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

Main Street

Down a familiar road of a Nationalists head count at WP and Neil Lennon quotes.
Therfore in this context bigotry is not obvious at WP therefore the play needs updating.
Imo the play doesn't need updating. It's a sharp enough reflection of bigotry in a moment of time.
It is a play which has travelled well to different cultures. The play has a purpose wherever in the world there are bigots.
It's based on real enough characters that the playright and the actor have identified in their own life.

Marie wasn't there that night in November, so what, maybe she had never been to a dole office or attended a golf club social. What's the insinuation, that she can't write a play about bigotry? It like some arse criticizing One Flew over the Cuckoo's Nest because such and such would never have happened in an asylum.
Sammy are you the 6 county equivalant of the critics who campaigned to have Dermot Morgan censored in the Father Trendy days ?

SammyG

Quote from: Main Street on April 23, 2007, 08:21:30 PMMarie wasn't there that night in November, so what, maybe she had never been to a dole office or attended a golf club social. What's the insinuation, that she can't write a play about bigotry? It like some arse criticizing One Flew over the Cuckoo's Nest because such and such would never have happened in an asylum.
She didn't write a play about bigottry, she wrote a load of lies about NI supporters. She could easily have written a play about bigottry at WP or even a generic play about bigottry, she chose to do neither and instead wrote a load of nonsense which merely confirms other peoples bigotted view, ie all NI fans are sectarian bigots while all RoI fans are jolly craicsters.  ::)

The other point is that even if the play was the greatest work of art since Yeats or Joyce, it would still make no sense to be resurrecting it now, when those days are gone.

Quote from: Main Street on April 23, 2007, 08:21:30 PM
Sammy are you the 6 county equivalant of the critics who campaigned to have Dermot Morgan censored in the Father Trendy days ?

I've no idea what this means but I love Father Ted if that helps.

ziggysego

EVERYONE!!!

Lets hold hands. Put down our angry thought for two minutes and tell each other something nice.

Testing Accessibility