Paddy Kilety's thespianic debut in Windsor Park Bigotry play!

Started by T Fearon, April 21, 2007, 12:13:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

T Fearon

Paddy is to make his serious acting debut in the famous and superb play by Marie Jones "One Night  in November" dramatising the unprecedented levels of sectarianism on display at the Stadium of Hate when  the 6 counties V Ireland World Cup qualifier in 1993, this August at the Grand Opera House in Belfast, in a role made famous by Dan Gordon.

I saw this play in Dublin and thoroughly recommend it as precise illustration of Windsor Park bigotry and the deluded superiority complexes that fuel it. I can only hope that Kielty can do the role justice and not let the comedic aspects of the play override the sombre realities of Windsor Park bigotry which is but a microcosm of unionist bigotry  in general.

It is fitting that this powerful drama is being revived at this time, to counteract the deluded propaganda that sectarianism has been eradicated from Windsor Park

heganboy

I saw this with a guy from belfast called marty maguire as the one man in the one man show. Its a very very demanding piece. I disagree with O'neils view of the play (above) but that's a hell of a big ask from a first time actor. Although funny in parts, its a very emotional piece, especially to do it in Belfast
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

Main Street

Quote from: T Fearon on April 21, 2007, 12:13:35 PM
It is fitting that this powerful drama is being revived at this time, to counteract the deluded propaganda that sectarianism has been eradicated from Windsor Park
A play set in time 14 years ago does not counteract anything about WP today. What timepiece do you have?

I haven't seen the play. I thought it was about one man's reaction to the Windsor Pk "experience", leading him to examine and deal with his own prejudices.

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Its an absolutely fantastic play, saw Dan Gordon act the part in the Lyric a good few years ago, would thoroughly recommend this play to EVERYONE.

P.S hopefully Paddy K doesn't tone down the performance!
Tbc....

Evil Genius

Having been at the game in question, no reasonable person could deny that there was a significant amount of sectarian/political abuse directed at the ROI team by a significant section of the crowd. And whilst I also think that this was greatly exagerrated in certain quarters, no reasonable person could ever defend or justify it.
Equally, no reasonable person could (or should) deny that the atmosphere at NI matches, home and away, has been immeasurably better for a number of years now.

Anyhow, about this play, some facts might help:

1. Marie Jones has since admitted on the "Kelly" Show that she wasn't actually at Windsor that night and that watching on TV she didn't think anything amiss. It was only the next day when she read the papers etc, that she began to formulate her idea for a play;
2. Ms. Jones has since been persuaded by her sons to start attending NI matches (with her husband) and has been seen at a number of games, both home and away. This means that either she doesn't mind herself and her family being subjected to bigotry and sectarianism, or that such behaviour no longer goes on to any significant extent. Seeing as how she is also on the record as saying how much she enjoys the atmosphere surrounding NI matches, I think we can safely assume it is the latter. (We may also assume that despite her being a recognisable figure, other NI fans have not berated her for the unflattering light in which her play portrays us);
4. Ms. Jones, unlike the "hero" of her play, is not known to have become a supporter of the ROI, even temporarily;
5. Nothing Ms. Jones has written since "Stones in his Pockets" has been either a critical or commercial success on anything like the same scale;
6. "Thespianic" is not a proper word (it wouldn't be the first thing someone called "Fearon" made up, mind)
7. Herpes is funnier than Patrick Kielty - but not so persistent.
"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

Hardy

Quote from: Evil Genius on April 22, 2007, 02:39:15 PM

:D
I have no idea about (and little interest in) the main subject matter, but you're spot on there.

Main Street

The relevant fact is that Marie has written a world wide critically acclaimed hit and could if she wanted rest on that achievement alone.
Here is a stream of a Boston US public radio show with Marty Maguire explaining the story behind
"A night in November"  and performing extracts from the show, it's good stuff.

http://stream.publicbroadcasting.net/ros/open_source_061122.mp3

Donagh

1. Marie Jones has since admitted on the "Kelly" Show that she wasn't actually at Windsor that night and that watching on TV she didn't think anything amiss. It was only the next day when she read the papers etc, that she began to formulate her idea for a play;
2. Ms. Jones has since been persuaded by her sons to start attending NI matches (with her husband) and has been seen at a number of games, both home and away. This means that either she doesn't mind herself and her family being subjected to bigotry and sectarianism, or that such behaviour no longer goes on to any significant extent. Seeing as how she is also on the record as saying how much she enjoys the atmosphere surrounding NI matches, I think we can safely assume it is the latter. (We may also assume that despite her being a recognisable figure, other NI fans have not berated her for the unflattering light in which her play portrays us);
4. Ms. Jones, unlike the "hero" of her play, is not known to have become a supporter of the ROI, even temporarily;
5. Nothing Ms. Jones has written since "Stones in his Pockets" has been either a critical or commercial success on anything like the same scale;
6. "Thespianic" is not a proper word (it wouldn't be the first thing someone called "Fearon" made up, mind)

What a tit...

SammyG

Quote from: Main Street on April 22, 2007, 05:58:30 PM
The relevant fact is that Marie has written a world wide critically acclaimed hit and could if she wanted rest on that achievement alone.
Here is a stream of a Boston US public radio show with Marty Maguire explaining the story behind
"A night in November"  and performing extracts from the show, it's good stuff.

http://stream.publicbroadcasting.net/ros/open_source_061122.mp3

The fact that the play is 'critically acclaimed' doesn't mean that it isn't riddled with inaccuracies and full of nonsense.

This play has always been sh1te (from a factual rather than a thespian perspective) but at least, when it was first performed, it had the excuse of 'reflecting the times'. Now it serves no purpose whatsoever.

You don't have to be too cynical to wonder why this is being revived, now, at a time when the Green and White Army are being praised all over the world? Some people obviously don't like good news stories.  I wonder what the GAWA playwright thinks about the rival?

Main Street

So Sammy are you letting pedantry get in the way of a good laugh?
It's play about bigotry the world over, no need to take it so personal just because it's set in the North. I would have thought the location was spot on.

QuoteI wonder what the GAWA playwright thinks about the rival?
what does that mean?

SammyG

Quote from: Main Street on April 22, 2007, 07:29:10 PM
It's play about bigotry the world over, no need to take it so personal just because it's set in the North. I would have thought the location was spot on.

The play might be a lot of things but I don't think anybody would describe it as a 'good laugh'.
what does that mean?
When Marie Jones wrote the play, she admitted that she'd never been to a match. Since then she has joined the Green and White Army and now goes to matches home and away. I was just wondering what she thinks of her play being resurrected, years after it's 'sell by date', given that she's now a member of the 'bigots', that the play criticises.

Main Street

Quote from: SammyG on April 22, 2007, 07:45:45 PM

The play might be a lot of things but I don't think anybody would describe it as a 'good laugh'.
what does that mean?

When Marie Jones wrote the play, she admitted that she'd never been to a match. Since then she has joined the Green and White Army and now goes to matches home and away. I was just wondering what she thinks of her play being resurrected, years after it's 'sell by date', given that she's now a member of the 'bigots', that the play criticises.
Oh I misunderstood, I thought WP was a different place these days.

You appear obsessed with presumptions about Marie Jones.
Who gives a fiddlers fart what goes through Marie Jones's head.

SammyG

Quote from: Main Street on April 22, 2007, 08:15:35 PM
Quote from: SammyG on April 22, 2007, 07:45:45 PM

what does that mean?

Oh I misunderstood, I thought WP was a different place these days.

You appear obsessed with presumptions about Marie Jones.
Who gives a fiddlers fart what goes through Marie Jones's head.

Sorry but I've no idea what you're on about. I'm not obsessed by Marie Jones in any way shape or form. She wrote a play criticising people and she is now a member of the group she criticised, I was just wondering what she thinks of the play now that shes a member of the Green and White Army, hardly the most bizarre thought in the world, surely.

Main Street

Apparantly she was very proud of the play when Marty Maguire was doing it. Much of it was written with him in mind.
PM Marie herself for her personal thoughts and feelings about going to WP these days.

Evil Genius

A Theatre Critic writes:

JIMMY CRICKET TO STAR IN FOOTIE PLAY

Northern Irish funnyman Jimmy Cricket will swap his upturned hat and fingerless glove for a green and white scarf as he takes to the stage in the one-man play 'One Night In September.'

The role represents a change in direction for Jimmy - real name Jimminy Cricket – who famously confuses his left boot with his right.

'One Night In September' tells the story of Republic of Ireland fan, Padraig Oats who attends Windsor Park in the hope that he'll witness England sticking a hatful past Northern Ireland. But Padraig experiences a religious epiphany when David Healy nets the winner and he finds himself leading the chorus of 'Away in a Manger' that heralds the Christ-like No.9.

Said Jimmy – real name James Nesbitt – 'I have immersed myself in the role of Padraig, to the extent that I attended the recent Republic game v San Marino, just to know what it feels like to squeeze past the minnows of Europe.' Jimmy then beckoned this interviewer with his hand, before adding a conspiratorial: 'And there's more ...'

The play, written by hardline loyalist Johnny Adair from his top-secret hideaway at 12 Rhubarb Cottage, Portree, Isle of Skye, SK1 7YE has been criticised by Republic of Ireland fans as a piece of blatant protestant propaganda. Adair has strongly refuted this and protests that, at heart, he is a passionate supporter of the World's 31st best team.

(Buckfast Telegraph, 23/04/07)

[The above preview was brought to you courtesy of our sister website, www.ourweecountry.co.uk]
"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"