The Toughest Trade

Started by Under Lights, February 17, 2015, 01:27:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BarryBreensBandage

Jeez lads, talk about nit picking; just enjoy the feckin thing will yis?
"Some people say I am indecisive..... maybe I am, maybe I'm not".

macdanger2

Good show. Pity Murphy missed the easier of the two wide kicks, would have been nice to beat Parra

Syferus

The pickup is still a bit shïte, lads.

longballin

Great show... Williams and Murphy came across as two really sound lads.

J70

Good show. Its already up on youtube for those interested: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1T1gCEBVpY

Did they purposely pick a week in January to get that weather in Donegal? ;D

Both of them appeared to do pretty well, although they did understandably grant Williams a lot of latitude! Former Donegal county player Ciaran Bonner stole the ball off him nicely in one of the training segments.

Taylor

Great show. Murphy one of those lads that is talented no matter what he does.

As someone said be good to see how they cope & adapt over a longer period of time.

Rugby lads are hard as nails.

general_lee

Top  show. Thought Williams was brilliant for the age of him. You could tell big Murphy was loving testing himself at the highest level.

grounded

Really enjoyed the show. 2 sound lads. Would have been nice to see how Micheal performed in a full game (I'd say given the right training he could play at a fairly high level in Rugby). Shane Williams seemed to really enjoy his week, i thought one of the highlights was the school visit and his "no homework tonight" shout.
           Given that we know GAA underage players can develop into world class Rugby players. Are there any current or past top GAA Players who have taken up Rugby in the middle or end of their football/hurling careers? I seem to remember David Beggy having a go at Rugby when Meath were at the height of their powers. Also I think Aaron Kiernan might be playing a bit for Dundalk?

Bord na Mona man

Why would a Donegal lad need to go to France to tear around roads in a souped up Subaru?

Overall it was a good show. There has to be a token amount of it spent with the GAA player being praised and the blow in praising the parish environment he has been parachuted into.
Murphy had a lot of the attributes needed to hold his own. His power, size and decent vision meant he held his own in the drills.
Williams put in a decent effort too and it probably helped the ref played Winter rules (pick ups allowed). In rugby coaching there is an emphasis on getting your centre of gravity over the ball and snatching it upwards, so William's instinctive fear of knocking it on was still a factor.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Good show, but lets face it, Gaelic Football is one of the easiest games in the world to pick up, it is basic and  that's why it is more widespread than hurling.

Both lads came across really well

illdecide

Def one of the better shows on last night, enjoyed it myself. I think SW was genuine when he said he'd a lot of respect for the GAA men with their fitness levels, attitude and commitment for amateur men ( i know we're not really amateur with the training we do but we don't get any coin). Big Murphy thought held his own and Clermont coach was impressed with him at the end knowing he'd only a weeks coaching over him...

The Le Chin one will be interesting...especially if one of the Ice Hockey guys take the helmet off and offer's him a punch up (I know it's for TV and that wouldn't happen)
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

NAG1

Was interesting when SW noted: that he had never done a skills session at that pace before, after doing one of the drills.

Maybe that was something for the coaches out there to have a think about.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Bord na Mona man on March 02, 2017, 11:08:42 AM
Why would a Donegal lad need to go to France to tear around roads in a souped up Subaru?

Overall it was a good show. There has to be a token amount of it spent with the GAA player being praised and the blow in praising the parish environment he has been parachuted into.
Murphy had a lot of the attributes needed to hold his own. His power, size and decent vision meant he held his own in the drills.
Williams put in a decent effort too and it probably helped the ref played Winter rules (pick ups allowed). In rugby coaching there is an emphasis on getting your centre of gravity over the ball and snatching it upwards, so William's instinctive fear of knocking it on was still a factor.

Height wise Murphy was ok, still a lot of lads taller than him, weight wise and body strength i'd say he's a bit to go in that department...
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

haranguerer

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 01, 2017, 10:45:19 PM
Quote from: trileacman on March 01, 2017, 10:40:41 PM
The strangest thing about that or most interesting in my eyes is how Williams struggled with the pick up. I mean probably none of us consider it a skill and yet they obviously just had to let him pluck it off the ground or else he wouldn't have got possession at all hardly.

People used to always say we should get rid of it because it's not a skill, kind of looked like it was tonight.

What does it add to the game? The pick up I mean??

It has the effect of meaning there can only be one person in position to pick the ball up. So stops mauls where 5 men are around the ball attempting to pick up with outstretched hands. Of course, didn't stop the gaa trying to do away with it before realising their error, and it seems people are forgetting about the mess that created already

haranguerer

Quote from: J70 on March 02, 2017, 02:37:37 AM
Good show. Its already up on youtube for those interested: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1T1gCEBVpY

Did they purposely pick a week in January to get that weather in Donegal? ;D

Both of them appeared to do pretty well, although they did understandably grant Williams a lot of latitude! Former Donegal county player Ciaran Bonner stole the ball off him nicely in one of the training segments.

You don't think murphy was granted a bit too??  ;D