The Toughest Trade

Started by Under Lights, February 17, 2015, 01:27:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

laoislad

I thought it was good.
They could have nearly left out yer man going over to Sunderland though as he did feck all.
I thought they could have arranged a reserve match for him to play in or at least train with the first team squad.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

AZOffaly

I get the feeling Sunderland weren't too keen on the whole thing. They made up some excuse that he'd have to sign a professional contract with them, which is nonsense. He could be a triallist.

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: laoislad on March 13, 2015, 08:04:06 AM
I thought it was good.
They could have nearly left out yer man going over to Sunderland though as he did feck all.
I thought they could have arranged a reserve match for him to play in or at least train with the first team squad.
basically the only comparison they amde was his bleep test scores against the professional ones  :-\

I would have thought Kernan would have gotten on alright in a game. would ahve been interesting to see though.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

AZOffaly

Kernan looked the most comfortable of the 4 I thought, although I was surprised how naturally the Baseball catcher executed a few jab lifts in the goals. He'd have been completely lost out the field though. Bentley looked ok, but it was a big ask to look like you were a natural after 5 days or whatever. His handpassing and kicking style looked very awkward, but as Oisin said if he had him for a couple of months you'd make something out of him. He looked like a good lad too, the way he carried himself. You could tell he really liked the concept of the club ethos in the GAA, which of course is part of the reason he retired from soccer.

Jackie probably was the biggest fish out of water. The baseball swing is way different and he adapted well to it, but you could tell he wasn't comfortable with the game itself. The nature of it, and the equipment etc.

I liked the Brendan Cummins cameo. 'Come in here Richie Hogan till I have a talk with you' and 'Tell you what, leave the hurley at home on Tuesday night and bring that big glove'.

seafoid

Quote from: AZOffaly on March 13, 2015, 08:54:26 AM
Kernan looked the most comfortable of the 4 I thought, although I was surprised how naturally the Baseball catcher executed a few jab lifts in the goals. He'd have been completely lost out the field though. Bentley looked ok, but it was a big ask to look like you were a natural after 5 days or whatever. His handpassing and kicking style looked very awkward, but as Oisin said if he had him for a couple of months you'd make something out of him. He looked like a good lad too, the way he carried himself. You could tell he really liked the concept of the club ethos in the GAA, which of course is part of the reason he retired from soccer.

Jackie probably was the biggest fish out of water. The baseball swing is way different and he adapted well to it, but you could tell he wasn't comfortable with the game itself. The nature of it, and the equipment etc.

I liked the Brendan Cummins cameo. 'Come in here Richie Hogan till I have a talk with you' and 'Tell you what, leave the hurley at home on Tuesday night and bring that big glove'.
Bentley's interview on why he left football is very interesting

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DlO6XZxNdU

50fiftyball

Was very disappointed by the Aaron Kernan to Sunderland part of the programme like many of you. Was expecting to see him in a match situation or at least testing his fitness vs " the professionals". I reckon Sunderland gave a bit of  the old cold shoulder approach to this experiment.

Out of the 4 I would say that the "easiest" (define easy) transition would be from the Gaelic to Soccer, as most of us would play a bit of soccer.

WT4E

Yeah looked like Sunderland didn't want to be involved - surely they could have found a club even in the championship or something that would of been interested and that would have gave Kernan a chance to see how he would get on.

It was a bit embarrassing the way they tried to hype up the results of a bleep test at the end.

Thought the baseball player came across really well and was very good at adapting to a difficult sport.

Bentley as the estate agent was comedy gold!

brokencrossbar1

For anyone who hasn't seen it and can't get it on TV3 player here ye go, part 1 and 2.

http://youtu.be/GgWoNEKERik

BennyCake

"Come in here Richie Hogan, till I have a chat with ye".

Great line.

pullhard

Thanks for the links had a watch.

Agree the programs should have been split up

Gabriel_Hurl

So I see this is back again this March - Aidan O'Shea has gone to America to play American football and former NFL wide receiver Roberto Wallace is taking his place for Breaffy

Tipp hurler Brendan Maher is down in Australia playing with the Big Bash League's Adelaide Strikers - not sure what cricketer is coming to play hurling though.

Declan

Quotenot sure what cricketer is coming to play hurling though.

Steve Harmison - ex English bowler

Gabriel_Hurl

Former Wales rugby international Shane Williams and Michael Murphy are participating this year. Williams togged out for a game with Glenswilly last night and scored 0-4

Michael Murphy is off with Clermont Auvergne

magpie seanie

Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on January 13, 2017, 01:06:08 PM
Former Wales rugby international Shane Williams and Michael Murphy are participating this year. Williams togged out for a game with Glenswilly last night and scored 0-4

Michael Murphy is off with Clermont Auvergne

Saw some pictures.....Baltic in Glenswilly for Shane Williams.

StephenC

Shane Williams visiting with some of the local schools and the general feedback is that he's an absolute gentleman; down to earth and interested in the community. Fair play to him.