All Ireland u21 football championship 2015

Started by giveballaghback, February 16, 2015, 09:57:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tippabu

Quote from: AZOffaly on May 03, 2015, 08:40:03 PM
Where's those quotes Benny? I'm surprised if Tommy is going over the top. He hasn't been like that before, and his comments before the final were very level headed as well I thought.

I haven't spoken to any of them yet, so maybe there's something annoying them that wasn't apparent last night. Or maybe they are deliberately trying to set the scene of 'us against the world' or something for this years seniors, a lot of whom are U21s.

Either way, there's good lads in charge of these teams in Tipp at the moment.

This is from hoganstand

Tipperary manager Toomy Toomey hit out at Tyrone's tactics and the performance of referee Fergal Kelly following his side's heartbreaking All-Ireland U21FC final loss last night.

Tipp's quest for a first title in the grade fell agonisingly short in the Parnell Park mud and in an interview with RTE afterwards, Toomey was particularly sore over the decision to give Tyrone a free out instead of reversing it after Michael Cassidy was shown a second yellow card in the dying moments.

"Of course we're hurt, we've just lost an All-Ireland final," he said.

"But we'll come back out of it, I've no doubt we will. I congratulate Tyrone on their win.

"Looking at a few bits and pieces from the end of the game and maybe we could have got  a draw. But that's the referee's decision and that's how the game is played but how you measure that, I don't know.

"The referee will have to offer an explanation but they don't do they? Retaliation or whatever was done on the player after the whistle is blown, the referee usually throws up the ball but in this case he didn't."

Commenting on the controversial tactics employed by the Red Hands, Toomey added: "All along in front of us, I saw our players being hit and pushed and dragged. That to me is a different way to play football than we would.

"I shook Fergal's [Logan] hand on the field of play, just there and I waited for him when his players were coming into the dressing room late and we were leaving. We didn't want an incident and it was as simple as that, we left.

"That's the way they play but look you're not going to force me to make any sort of explanation on this. What I see is what I see on the field of play and everyone else sees it as well.

"That's all I'm saying about it. At the end of the game, in the the last 10 minutes, Tyrone are experts at winding the clock down, at goading people and that's my opinion and I'll stick to that."

BennyHarp

Quote from: tippabu on May 03, 2015, 08:39:21 PM
Quote from: BennyHarp on May 03, 2015, 08:35:32 PM
Quote from: tippabu on May 03, 2015, 08:18:28 PM
After seeing the highlights there on Rte I didn't see a whole lot wrong with the tipp goal but a goalie will get a free out in that situation 10 out of 10 times.

A genuine question and this isn't me moaning just curious. What actually does warrant a free being taken away from a team and a throw ball given? Can some explain to me why the ref would have been right to allow Tyrone keep the free right at the end of the game. As I say don't that this as me giving out about it just wondering is all. Thanks

Also it was never a free out in the first place, Tyrone player put his head down and drove into the tipp lads.

Look, Tippabu, I could sit here all night and complain about referee decisions that have cost Tyrone big games over the years. Paddy Russell's brain farts in the 1995 AI final, Meaths assault in 1996, Canavan and O'Neill getting the line in 2005 Ulster Final etc etc. Every team have had reasons to moan about refs over the years. You can either accept that these things happen and learn from it and move on, ensuring next time you are too far ahead for the ref to have an impact or spend the next 10 years moaning about it and standing still. (like Armagh since 2003  ;)) One of these days these decisions will go for you and you will take it and run because that's the way things work.

Ive been reading quotes from your u21 manager tonight and to be honest, a fella with an attitude like that, blaming everyone else publicly for his team's loss, will never take you to the next level. You have a good set of players, a lot of them underage next year, go away, get someone sensible on board and ensure there is no room for error next year.

I accept that decisions went equally against both teams, I'm not having a moan just asking the question is all and wondering what yer views on it are.

It was a balls of a decision to be fair and if I'm honest I wouldn't have begrudged you a draw at that point but the ref was poor all night. It all just didn't boil down to that one incident though. I don't want to single out a young lad for blame but a few relatively easy frees were missed that would have drawn the game for you. You can't control a ref but these are the things you can control for next time.
That was never a square ball!!

rrhf

This is getting comical now.  They, d be ate alive by the kerry s etc. Kevin keegan wouldn't have a look in.

tippabu

Quote from: BennyHarp on May 03, 2015, 08:47:14 PM
Quote from: tippabu on May 03, 2015, 08:39:21 PM
Quote from: BennyHarp on May 03, 2015, 08:35:32 PM
Quote from: tippabu on May 03, 2015, 08:18:28 PM
After seeing the highlights there on Rte I didn't see a whole lot wrong with the tipp goal but a goalie will get a free out in that situation 10 out of 10 times.

A genuine question and this isn't me moaning just curious. What actually does warrant a free being taken away from a team and a throw ball given? Can some explain to me why the ref would have been right to allow Tyrone keep the free right at the end of the game. As I say don't that this as me giving out about it just wondering is all. Thanks

Also it was never a free out in the first place, Tyrone player put his head down and drove into the tipp lads.

Look, Tippabu, I could sit here all night and complain about referee decisions that have cost Tyrone big games over the years. Paddy Russell's brain farts in the 1995 AI final, Meaths assault in 1996, Canavan and O'Neill getting the line in 2005 Ulster Final etc etc. Every team have had reasons to moan about refs over the years. You can either accept that these things happen and learn from it and move on, ensuring next time you are too far ahead for the ref to have an impact or spend the next 10 years moaning about it and standing still. (like Armagh since 2003  ;)) One of these days these decisions will go for you and you will take it and run because that's the way things work.

Ive been reading quotes from your u21 manager tonight and to be honest, a fella with an attitude like that, blaming everyone else publicly for his team's loss, will never take you to the next level. You have a good set of players, a lot of them underage next year, go away, get someone sensible on board and ensure there is no room for error next year.

I accept that decisions went equally against both teams, I'm not having a moan just asking the question is all and wondering what yer views on it are.

It was a balls of a decision to be fair and if I'm honest I wouldn't have begrudged you a draw at that point but the ref was poor all night. It all just didn't boil down to that one incident though. I don't want to single out a young lad for blame but a few relatively easy frees were missed that would have drawn the game for you. These are the things you can control for next time.

That's fair enough.

For us next year, goalie evan comer Ford,  no. 7 bill maher, 8 Stephen O'brien, 10 Jason lonergan, 11 Ian fahy and 13 Kevin o halloran are over age. Kerry especially should be strong at under 21 but we still have a good team although all the players overage are big big players for us. Can only really see some of this year's minor team being the ones to step up but should have a decent say on the minster title again and especially with Colin o riordan anything can happen

tippabu

Quote from: rrhf on May 03, 2015, 08:51:11 PM
Do tipp take their losses badly in the hurling as well.  The manager comes across as a bit of a clown.  He'll be ate alive by the kerry s etc. Kevin keegan esque.

let's be honest your own manager didn't that the semi final win very well now did he? If you're calling tommy twomey a clown it's hard not to see how you wouldn't think the same about fergal after the roscommon game.

AZOffaly

The only sort of unfortunate thing I would say is his last comment. It's Hogan Stand who say 'Hit Out' at Tyrone and the Ref's performance. All he actually says is...

Of course we're hurt, we've just lost an All-Ireland final," he said. "But we'll come back out of it, I've no doubt we will. I congratulate Tyrone on their win.

He then says ""Looking at a few bits and pieces from the end of the game and maybe we could have got  a draw. But that's the referee's decision and that's how the game is played but how you measure that, I don't know.

"The referee will have to offer an explanation but they don't do they? Retaliation or whatever was done on the player after the whistle is blown, the referee usually throws up the ball but in this case he didn't."

I think both of those comments are fair enough and measured enough. A lot of people were wondering about the ball not being thrown in.

His comments about the tactics are off the mark and again I would say coming from a lad that's a bit raw. In hindsight I'm sure he will appreciate the streetwise aspect of it. The harsh reality is all good/great teams can turn on the cynicism when it's needed, and I think Tipp will realise that too. If he truly thinks Tyrone did something unusual or beyond the pale last night I think he's in trouble, but I don't think in the cold light of day he would be as emotive.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: imtommygunn on May 03, 2015, 07:09:49 PM
Haha. Well be happy then fosb. I don't begrudge you anything btw and your keyboard warrior point does show some irony when you thinly veil your insults but if you're not dim like the rest of us you will already have worked that out ;) Best of luck in c'ship.

I'm a grand keyboard warrior myself, to be sure, ach is mise John Mc Elhinney, which is not news to the majority of folk I'd say, and big deal -- it will help INDIANA as he tosses those rose petals on my perambulatory victory tour of da Capital! ;) :)

Tommy Twomey's letting the Tipp side down a bit I think, though admirably resolute, he might wind it in just slightly.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

BennyHarp

Quote from: AZOffaly on May 03, 2015, 08:58:02 PM
The only sort of unfortunate thing I would say is his last comment. It's Hogan Stand who say 'Hit Out' at Tyrone and the Ref's performance. All he actually says is...

Of course we're hurt, we've just lost an All-Ireland final," he said. "But we'll come back out of it, I've no doubt we will. I congratulate Tyrone on their win.

He then says ""Looking at a few bits and pieces from the end of the game and maybe we could have got  a draw. But that's the referee's decision and that's how the game is played but how you measure that, I don't know.

I think both of those comments are fair enough and measured enough. A lot of people were wondering about the ball not being thrown in.

His comments about the tactics are off the mark and again I would say coming from a lad that's a bit raw. In hindsight I'm sure he will appreciate the streetwise aspect of it. The harsh reality is all good/great teams can turn on the cynicism when it's needed, and I think Tipp will realise that too. If he truly thinks Tyrone did something unusual or beyond the pale last night I think he's in trouble, but I don't think in the cold light of day he would be as emotive.

His comments on tactics were what I was reffering to. The bits I highlighted in bold a few posts ago are all a bit nonsensical in my opinion and display a few signs of a fella who may not be fit to see a clear picture as to what his team need to do to come back as winners. The whole, "we'd play football different" and "I can't explain the way they play" stuff is just nonsense and serves no real purpose. Perhaps he's been taking note on how Kerry have responded to defeats from Tyrone teams over the years.

AZOffaly

Or else he's just setting the scene that Tipp would never do that sort of thing, knowing all the time that they would and will. They'll be seen as the purists who would never sink so low :) Smart thinking.

BennyHarp

Quote from: AZOffaly on May 03, 2015, 09:17:34 PM
Or else he's just setting the scene that Tipp would never do that sort of thing, knowing all the time that they would and will. They'll be seen as the purists who would never sink so low :) Smart thinking.

He's clearly a genius!  :D

The Stallion

Shame to see Tyrone indulging in pathetic behaviour again. Seems to be widely accepted in the county which is disappointing. Would have hoped someone from Tyrone might have spoken out against it but alas not.

BennyHarp

Quote from: The Stallion on May 03, 2015, 09:31:25 PM
Shame to see Tyrone indulging in pathetic behaviour again. Seems to be widely accepted in the county which is disappointing. Would have hoped someone from Tyrone might have spoken out against it but alas not.

There's much better wums than you on this board. But keep practising, I'm sure you'll improve! !

trileacman

Would love to have had such an outpouring of solidarity from the keyboard warriors in 95 and 96. We tried fighting the clean fight in the past and all we got was a pat on the head and a "f**k off home again, good man" from the establishment. Shame on us for not being as naive as some and happily accepting the perennial losers tag.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

JoG2

Quote from: BennyHarp on May 03, 2015, 09:45:40 PM
Quote from: The Stallion on May 03, 2015, 09:31:25 PM

There's much better wums than you on this board. But keep practising, I'm sure you'll improve! !

He's more negative about his own county...shhhhhhhhheeeeeeeiiiiit

tippabu

I think one thing is for certain and that we can all agree on, this has been by no means a boring championship and we've definitely gotten plenty of dicussion out of it!!