All Ireland u21 football championship 2015

Started by giveballaghback, February 16, 2015, 09:57:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ross4life

I tip my hat to both sides a thrilling game that had everything. More often than not we lose games like that so i'm delighted to come out the right end this time. Galway jinx is over at U21 level 1999 since we beat them or 1982 since we beat them in a Connacht final. Harney,Murtagh two key players for us today & while Smith looked leg weary he still created two of our goals. Our strong sub bench played important role in the win also. Congrats to all our the players and management.

On to the All Ireland semi final we go now where i would expect a more defensive contest.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Zulu

Quote from: Syferus on April 04, 2015, 10:46:46 PM
Quote from: Zulu on April 04, 2015, 10:32:20 PM
You mean the one where Roscommon lost to Dublin?

By 'lost' don't you mean 19 points down after 35 minutes?

And you understand that one game doesn't define a team, especially at underage where lads mature and others become overage? Roscommon should either win or lose their games on the basis of what they are, an exceptional U21 football team. If that means they lose to Donegal, Tyrone, Tipp, Cork or Dublin then so be it but there's no need for them to change their philosophy, especially against the Dubs who'll allow them play to their strengths. 

Syferus

Quote from: Zulu on April 04, 2015, 11:04:25 PM

And you understand that one game doesn't define a team, especially at underage where lads mature and others become overage? Roscommon should either win or lose their games on the basis of what they are, an exceptional U21 football team. If that means they lose to Donegal, Tyrone, Tipp, Cork or Dublin then so be it but there's no need for them to change their philosophy, especially against the Dubs who'll allow them play to their strengths.

We'll play to our strengths but our strengths aren't being a gun ho all-out attack team. We have talented players in the middle and in defence too. We're going to play with more balance than we did last year in the AI series. Anything less and we won't win the AISF and we can forget about Dublin, Cork or Tipp.

Put Up That Flag

Quote from: Syferus on April 04, 2015, 11:07:05 PM
Quote from: Zulu on April 04, 2015, 11:04:25 PM

We'll play to our strengths but our strengths aren't being a gun ho all-out attack team. We have talented players in the middle and in defence too. We're going to play with more balance than we did last year in the AI series. Anything less and we won't win the AISF and we can forget about Dublin, Cork or Tipp.

"We"?? You do know Mayo lost in the semi final,  oh wait I see what you did there, you are hopping onto the Roscommon bandwagon now, sure why not,  its handy to be able to follow two counties when things aren't going well for one.

giveballaghback

Syf would you ever shut up about last years final and all that goes with it, on such a possitive evening for ros football all you can come out with is thoughts of our worst nightmare last year, for feck sake cop on and move on, every other rossie has, enjoy our success for one night at least.

gibbs32

Dublin team U21 shadow. Rossies beautiful.

twohands!!!

Quote from: maigheo on April 04, 2015, 06:42:01 PM
u21 grade usually throws up a lot of great games but nobody really sees them.

Just on this - anyone any idea why TG4 aren't doing more as regards the U21 championship?

Even if it was only the provincial finals - both the Leinster final and the Connacht final have been very good if not exceptional games by all accounts and the Ulster and Munster finals at the very least are likely to be interesting.

Seems a no-brainer to me, especially when you look at how important GAA games are in terms of attracting audiences to TG4.

Zulu

Not sure as they seem to show way more U21 hurling games, I'm pretty sure the munster U21 hurling final is always shown anyway.

Shrewdness

I wonder has any player in the past, achieved a similar feat as young Noel Gately. In the last few weeks, he has won a Connacht Colleges 'A' medal and a Connacht U-21 medal.. He has the All Ireland Hogan Cup Final with Roscommon CBS coming up in Croke Park and then an All Ireland U-21 Semi Final (came on as sub in Tuam)..Not to mention his leaving cert in June.

INDIANA

Quote from: Shrewdness on April 05, 2015, 01:16:07 PM
I wonder has any player in the past, achieved a similar feat as young Noel Gately. In the last few weeks, he has won a Connacht Colleges 'A' medal and a Connacht U-21 medal.. He has the All Ireland Hogan Cup Final with Roscommon CBS coming up in Croke Park and then an All Ireland U-21 Semi Final (came on as sub in Tuam)..Not to mention his leaving cert in June.

Yep Mike Frank Russell on his own

All ireland minor, hogan cup, u21, senior and club. will never be beaten. He won hogan cup, minor and u21 in the same year

Syferus

He's some man to win a Connacht Colleges A title in Kerry in fairness Indy.

INDIANA

Quote from: Syferus on April 05, 2015, 01:28:17 PM
He's some man to win a Connacht Colleges A title in Kerry in fairness Indy.

There was no reference to it being limited to Connacht players Syferus.

heffo

Quote from: INDIANA on April 05, 2015, 01:21:10 PM

All ireland minor, hogan cup, u21, senior and club. will never be beaten. He won hogan cup, minor and u21 in the same year

Paddy O'Rourke has the same record afaik.

twohands!!!

Quote from: INDIANA on April 05, 2015, 01:21:10 PM

I think Mike Frank Russell's medal collection is the most comprehensive of anyone in football.

I have an inkling that the list at the link might not even be fully complete as I recall reading somewhere the Laune Rangers underage teams he was part of won a rake of county titles on the way up through underage.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Frank_Russell

Rossfan

That was some game of football in Tuam last night and thankfully we came out the winners.
Started brightly but then the problem of it being our first real test came to the fore as our midfield and some defenders struggled and we leaked 2 goals. This brought out the best in us as Smith and Harney especially took the lead and we came from 5? down to lead by one at h/t.
Galway left us waiting for 4 or 5 minutes at the start of the second half and again we dropped off a bit conceding three quick points. A few wides by Galway, substitutions, tightening up and more work rate in defence and another mighty effort saw us outscore Galway by 2-5 to 0-2. We then were hit by a thunderbolt of a goal and byjases the last couple of minutes were nerve wracking as we were only one score ahead.
Great evening in Tuam, two excellent teams who played their part in a classic and having made history in 2012 by winning our first ever Connacht Minor back to back an awful lot of the same lads have now given us our first U21 back to back.
Happy days....... but a tough road awaits.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM