2015 Laois Senior Hurling

Started by redsetanta, February 13, 2015, 12:55:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

redsetanta

Match is in Portlaoise on Sunday week.

No better team than Offaly to rain on a Laois parade.

'Foot to the floor hurling' as Cheddar says, will be required for 70 mins against Offaly if we are to have a chance. Yesterdays performance just won't be enough. Big blow if King is gone. He appeared upbeat enough at the end of the game but his knee was heavily strapped. He would be a big loss as he gave the Westmeath defense a torrid time catching the ball and running directly at them. Conroy was very quiet again and seems to perform better coming off the bench.

What can you say about Cha. A real leader on the field, always encouraging those around him. His goal and long range point were the winning of the game. He was making a nuisance of himself and getting stuck in. His game is on the edge but he does seem to have cut out some of the stuff that got him in trouble. A big name for Laois now. Thought Dwaye PAlmer had a good game and got o plenty of ball. Also liked the cut of Peacock when he came in and his determination to get that block in told a lot in itself. He could be pushing for inclusion the next day particularly if King isn't available.

We got the rub of the green in the round robin this year with the way results went so lets drive on from here. They just need to get that bit of confidence and belief that I think they are lacking. Laois looked very good for a spell yesterday and they will need every bit of it against Offaly.
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

G@@

Really looking forward to June 7th now. The lads will know only too well that they have not hurled a good game yet this year and hopefully they will have saved the best wine for that day. A win at home to Offaly will ensure that we don't hurl the round robin next year and I think it would be best for us to get out of that "competition" as it is hindering rather than aiding our development.

I generally don't be critical of players by name, but Tommy Fitz surely cannot be guaranteed a starting position any more. Tommy has been a great servant to Laois Hurling through the few great and many dark days over these past years, but his performances of late are not of ones I would be happy with.

Roddy's injury looked nasty and my heart sank to see him stretchered off. Hopefully it won't be as bad as feared.

Finally, well done to the lads yesterday, 10-15 minutes of hurling blew a gutsy Westmeath side apart and again, thankfully Carlow done the biz in DCP. That was a decent Westmeath side who have improved no end in the last year. Particularly impressed with their No. 3, 6, 9 and 13 who all had storming games.
"I can't get over you - 'till you come out from under him" - Pat Shortt - Class!

TheGreatGame

I don't think that will be the last time we square off against that Westmeath team, they are a young side with some excellent hurlers.  Fair dues to them they are improving big time, and Wexford wouldn't want to be thinking they'll have a handy one.

Laois mixed the good with the bad, but it was definitely an improvement on the Carlow game.  Not much went right for us in the first half but there were some vital hooks and blocks thrown in that probably kept us in the game.  The wind was always going to be a factor and our efforts for points went over that bit easier in the second half, whereas Westmeaths trailed off.

Roddy King's injury is a massive blow.  He looked to be really finding his feet at this level and is our most dangerous inside forward.  You'd imagine Neil Foyle will hardly be fit for Offaly if he wasn't togged yesterday either, so it's anyone's guess what our full forward line will be.  Picky will start the next day but that still leaves two spots up for grabs there.  Some big calls for Cheddar and co. to make.

redsetanta

Special mention to Cha Dwyer and Matthew Whelan who were selected in both the GAA.ie and Hoganstand team of the week.

Also, what a goal Willie Hyland would have scored has it been an inch or two lower.
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

Mossy Bruce

Great result. I wish I was able to drag my arse out of bed early enough (5:30 am) to listen to it.
LAOIS! LAOIS! LAOIS!

merman

Wait, is this the original LaoisTalk Bruce???  ???

Mossy Bruce

Quote from: merman on May 25, 2015, 07:08:05 PM
Wait, is this the original LaoisTalk Bruce???  ???
It is the original Bruce. Thought I'd give local sports (mostly baseball) a chance for a few years, (yawn)--nothing comes close to the hurling. I found Laoistalk closed down and was told everyone migrated over to here.
LAOIS! LAOIS! LAOIS!

Junior Ex Laoistalk

Welcome back Bruce, great to see all the Laoistalk lads coming over here. Spread the word as we are still short a few to make up a good team :)
Winners are not those who never fail, but those who never quit!

Mossy Bruce

Quote from: Junior Ex Laoistalk on May 25, 2015, 08:54:43 PM
Welcome back Bruce, great to see all the Laoistalk lads coming over here. Spread the word as we are still short a few to make up a good team :)
Thanks, Junior. I like your surname.

Is Aragorn active in this forum?
LAOIS! LAOIS! LAOIS!

crow

I being one of the lucky ones to be in Portlaoise to cheer on our hurlers,would like to hear your opinions on the commentary given on local radio from our very own x Laois hurler,any one I met that listened to it said he was very critical of some of the lads and the management,we all can be critical but most of us know the sacrifices these lads are making and I am sure Cheddar wont walk away with a big wad of money at the end of the year,more like he will be out of pocket, not like what went before him  so next day be a little kinder. :P

redsetanta

Not sure if Aragorn posts here but there is one poster who is not unlike him. I would agree that he was/is very informative and has his finger on the pulse of Laois hurling and always look forward to his posts on the county teams.

Welcome back Bruce. You're back in time for what will be our biggest game in years against Offaly on June 7th. Not as early a start for you i.e. 7am your time.

Unlaoised

Things went for us sunday in terms of results...I was happy with the battling qualities Laois showed there looked a a time that meant we could have been going down ...We end up topping the group and getting a rattle at Offaly in O'Moore park....

I thought Whelan and Palmer were very good...Cha had a decent game and Zane stood up in the second half and was counted...

I want to compliment the lads and I hope the whole county gets out to support them on June the 7th
LAOIS ABÚ

redsetanta

Jack Nolans interview with Cheddar after the game. He is really fired up for the Offaly game now as I would imagine is the whole panel not to mention us supporters.

https://soundcloud.com/midlandssport/seamus-plunkett-on-reaching-leinster-shc-quarters

portlaoisekid

Without playing well we got through and battled against our own form to win and that has to applauded and a credit to the lads and management.

The big question is now whether we can improve enough to beat Offaly?

Two Hands FFS