2015 Laois Senior Hurling

Started by redsetanta, February 13, 2015, 12:55:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

portlaoisekid

Sundays match was IMO a torrid affair and the standard of hurling was poor but the Carlow match was purely about winning and we did that so lets move onto the Westmeath match and hopefully get another win there.

drici

https://www.gaa.ie/content/documents/publications/miscellaneous/CCCC%20Proposal%202014%20to%202016.pdf

1st Plays Offaly
2nd Plays Wexford
3rd Plays Winner of Christy Ring with the Winner of that being in Leinster Championship and the Loser being in the Christy Ring next year
4th Plays in/Relegated to Christy Ring next year

imtommygunn

What's the timeline for the christy ring drici? Seems like that could protract out someone's season quite a lot if they finish third...

Also quite harsh on christy ring winners.

drici

Christy Ring Final is live on TG4 on Saturday 6th June.

Dave like the tv channel

Quote from: drici on May 12, 2015, 11:33:30 AM
https://www.gaa.ie/content/documents/publications/miscellaneous/CCCC%20Proposal%202014%20to%202016.pdf

1st Plays Offaly
2nd Plays Wexford
3rd Plays Winner of Christy Ring with the Winner of that being in Leinster Championship and the Loser being in the Christy Ring next year
4th Plays in/Relegated to Christy Ring next year

Grand. But it doesn't address the possibility of teams finishing level on points.....two teams - I presume head2head. Three teams????

imtommygunn

Quote from: drici on May 12, 2015, 12:46:58 PM
Christy Ring Final is live on TG4 on Saturday 6th June.

Cheers. Not too far away then.

drici

Rule 6.20 (5) (c) (ii)-(iv) states: "Where Teams finish with equal points for Qualification for the Concluding stages or for Promotion or Relegation, the tie shall be decided by the following means and in the order specified:

(i) Where two Teams only are involved – the outcome of the meeting of the two teams in the previous game in the competition

(ii) Scoring Difference (subtracting the total Scores Against from total Scores For)

(iii) Highest Total Score For

(iv) A Play-Off.

Tobias

Basically it will come down to score difference.

I'm going to try to put a positive spin on this...
I actually think things are really not too bad and can be optimistic for the following reasons...
1) we are a better hurling team than Westmeath
2) we will almost enter this game as underdogs(which suits us)
3) we are at home (Westmeath have not played away yet)
4) we have a full panel to pick from
5) our back line has a better look to it compared to the Antrim game, Joe campion and J A add a bit of pace to it and Mathew is looking more like himself
5) we have picky back and he forms an athletic midfield with paddy Purcell
6) we have three potential match winners in the half forward line with cha, zane and willie. They haven't really shown it in the first two games but we know it's in them
7) hopefully it will be a nice dry day and these 'hurlers' will be given every chance to perform
8) I have faith in Cheddar to get the lads right both physically and mentally for this game

I am not worried about Westmeath, The main thing here for me is that we bring a huge intensity to our game, we really need to bring the fight to them and really knock them back on their arse, from the throw in we need to boss the game and play it on our terms...these lads have worked too hard to meekly bow out of this championship. I'm not sure if the lads have been over trained or whatever but with all the expertise in our back room team the lads should be ready for a real battle in ten days and I fully expect them to show theirs true colours and put Westmeath to the sword.

There should be a big drive on the next week to get laois people to go to the match and support our team, the clubs must get involved..

Dave like the tv channel

Quote from: drici on May 12, 2015, 07:03:32 PM
Rule 6.20 (5) (c) (ii)-(iv) states: "Where Teams finish with equal points for Qualification for the Concluding stages or for Promotion or Relegation, the tie shall be decided by the following means and in the order specified:

(i) Where two Teams only are involved – the outcome of the meeting of the two teams in the previous game in the competition

(ii) Scoring Difference (subtracting the total Scores Against from total Scores For)

(iii) Highest Total Score For

(iv) A Play-Off.

Great, thanks. So assuming the best....Laois win by 9 and will win the group, barring a huge win by Antrim.

If Laois win by 1 and Antrim don't win, Laois will win the head-to-head with Westmeath and win the group.

redsetanta

Hows Neil Foyle progressing? Should be fit for Sunday but Cheddar will hardly start him. Pj didn't really get going at all the last day and hasn't really grabbed his spot on the starting 15. Ben Conroy put down a marker and Reddin has impressed when he's been brought in.
Think we need a setup where we have a hard worker around midfield. Zane, good and all as he is, isn't that man so it might be worth bringing Jimmy Walsh back in for this game allowing Zane to do his own thing. Westmeath will be physical and we need to be winning the breaking ball. Zane could move to the half forward line.
Will Cheddar make any changes from the last day?
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

Unlaoised

Can't see Foyle been back for sunday...

The lads were dissapointed that they didn't put Carlow away and a bigger win would have made things easier on sunday.

I wouldn't rule out Carlow giving Antrim a proper game and maybe even sneeking it...

We are well capable of getting a 9 point win over Westmeath and I wouldn't be worried even if things are not going well early in the game ...I think we have the forward and the subs to rack up a big score by 70 minutes!
LAOIS ABÚ

G@@

I wonder will Foyle feature on Sunday, surely worth a second half place alone?
"I can't get over you - 'till you come out from under him" - Pat Shortt - Class!

Buffalobull

I hear Foyle is fit for Sunday, it's just a question of will he be picked or not! I think we may need 3 or 4 goals against Westmeath and Foyle is a great target man to have. Although I do think we are capable of beating Westmeath by 9, I'm fairly confident Carlow can do us a favour in Dr Cullen Park. It's good to have things in our own hands, the players know what they have to do, now they have to go out and deliver!

G@@

Good news BB... Foyle is a favourite of mine on the team and he has an aurora of danger about him everytime he gets the ball.

Overall, I'm quite nervous about this clash, the game against Carlow was an eye-opener as to how fragile this team becomes when things don't work out on the field coupled with an instruction to sit back and defend. The last grasp catch by Rowland in Carlow was too fine a line to be building our campaign upon.
"I can't get over you - 'till you come out from under him" - Pat Shortt - Class!

TheGreatGame

With Ben Conroy scoring 1-3 the last day and thereby really pushing himself close to a starting berth I don't think we'll see Foyle start, but it's great to see him back in contention as he offers something different with his size and skill.  I would expect him to work his way onto the team if we can make it to the next stage though.  A lot of people I've been talking to reckon we need a more defensively minded midfield partner for Paddy Purcell and I'd be in agreement.  No slight on Picky, his natural instinct is to attack, but I'd be putting James Walsh back in the middle with Picky moving further up the field.

Above all though I'm hoping the knock out nature of the game will see a big improvement in our lads, because I believe a similar performance to the Carlow game and we could be out of the championship.